The Grado RS-2 Thread
Dec 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #46 of 79
  I'm considering a headphone, besides my AKG K501 for classical music, I listen mainly string quartets and solo piano...you guys think that suits the RS2e?

Yes, for small, intimate performances like that grados really shine through. Stringed instruments in particular sound amazing. However they do lack the thunderous bottom end needed for larger orchestral performances.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #47 of 79

Yes I have heard both headphones last week.

Sadly, the RS1e are the worst Grado headphones that I have heard so far...they are muffled, boring and lifeless with hard-rock and metal music.
frown.gif

Muffled? Seriously? I would have never thought i'd hear anyone say that about a Grado can
confused_face(1).gif
. Did you find the shallow bowls of the RS1e uncomfortable compared with the RS2e?

Not to hijack this thread or to break anyone's bubble, but Tyll's newly released measurements confirm that the RS1e's are indeed muffled. (For comparison, the previous generation RS1.) Heck, they have even less treble than Sennheiser HD600's and HD650's which, for years, many people have called veiled. I don't know what is going on at Grado Labs, but they certainly aren't staying true to their brand sound.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #49 of 79
I kind of compare the RS2s to the D5000, and the RS1 to the D7000. 

I enjoy the listening to the RS2s and the D5000s more, but I can tell that at the high end, the RS1 and D7000 have a more accurate sound stage.

Some headphones you just have to keep because of how much you like listening to them. If everybody wanted reference monitors, the world would be a pretty boring place.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #51 of 79
My RS2e's are coming money. Woohoo!

I will be traveling with them in Oct. Any suggestion for a case? This earzonk case looks reasonable. What size CaseBudi case would be best for the RS2e?

TIA

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #52 of 79
  My RS2e's are coming money. Woohoo!

I will be traveling with them in Oct. Any suggestion for a case? This earzonk case looks reasonable. What size CaseBudi case would be best for the RS2e?

TIA

Congratz Allan!

That ear zonk case looks good, plus a free set of bowls.  Cool!

Cheers!

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #54 of 79
Guys! What revisions are these two?

For the RS2, there is not quite the vast variety as there is for the RS1.

The one on the left to me looks like the original (no "vintage" vs. "classic" as on the RS1, at least as far as I know), and the one on the right is the RS2i.  

At least that is my guess.  I have the RS2i and the RS2e, and would love to find an RS2 original with buttons.

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #55 of 79
  For the RS2, there is not quite the vast variety as there is for the RS1.

The one on the left to me looks like the original (no "vintage" vs. "classic" as on the RS1, at least as far as I know), and the one on the right is the RS2i.  

At least that is my guess.  I have the RS2i and the RS2e, and would love to find an RS2 original with buttons.

Thanks! 

That's what I tought. They sound so different, the original RS2 are brighter with a little less bass, but with wider soundstage and better imaging. Altough they can be sibilant, their grea,t accurate bass, airy soundstage is magic. The second one is just ok:)

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #57 of 79
I like the RS2i very much but like the RS2e even better. Never heard the RS2 (yet...)

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #59 of 79
So, what are the differences between i and e in Your opinion?

Just got through comparing my RS2i to my RS2e through my Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp.

The RS2e has a bit more bass AND a bit more transparency, most easily noticed by more sizzly cymbals.  It also has a bit larger sound stage and a bit more positional resolution of instruments.  It is also more efficient, playing more loudly at a given setting (yes, I matched levels!).

Because I CAN!  (RS2 and RS2e)

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #60 of 79
Well, this is quite a small thread of love for the RS2s, isn't it?!  I've just won myself a quite used pair of RS2s on ebay for £150.  They need recabling though, but I've already got a nice cable on my SR80s so will be transferring that over immediately.  Am I going to like these cans, I wonder?  I've always enjoyed the Grado sound and the SR60s were my first pair of serious headphones.  A few years down the line and a big chunk of money later, I'm here with some great cans, including Hifiman HE400 + 560, Senn HD598 + 540, Sony MA900, Beyer DT990, NAD HP50 etc etc.

I've been planning on trading in my SR80s for a while now, to try a pair of Grados further up the ladder.  My sights were set on the SR225s as they appear to be the most cost effective option.  However, this deal just turned up and I won, so I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

But, I have read that the RS2s don't really sit inside the bracket of that classic Grado house sound?  Is that the case?  That won't necessarily be an issue as I enjoy my more smooth and less bright and fast cans, such as the HD598s or NAD HP50s.  I listen to such a wide range of music that all my cans have their time and place for my attention.  But, I'm hoping they will be exciting and good for rock, in true Grado fashion.  What should I expect?  I'd be glad to read any little teasers and impressions before they arrive.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can chime in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back