The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 3, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #1,232 of 2,859
People are forgetting if it is in the same league as the rs1 but tuned differently then it is still better for some, or it could just be better overall too lol but we will see after mid June.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #1,234 of 2,859
everyday is painful its been over 2 weeks since I ordered and I am not used to waiting more than 5 days max and it's really hard, when is he going to charge credit cards?

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #1,235 of 2,859
Yeah it's painful, I'm going to be waiting for a Compass too. They'll probably arrive around the same time. It will be funny burning in both at the same time. Given what I spent on both combined I could have gotten a better DAC or HA but I wasn't planning on the headphones and wouldn't have the phones
smily_headphones1.gif

He's going to charge when they ship.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #1,236 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say that to my preference, the HF2 is clearly better in every way than the RS1.

definitely a bold statement. I completely have the opposite opinion, as did my headphone-virgin friend who tagged along. But different strokes for different folks.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #1,237 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyday is painful its been over 2 weeks since I ordered and I am not used to waiting more than 5 days max and it's really hard, when is he going to charge credit cards?

I don't mind waiting. *gently caresses my HP-2*
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #1,238 of 2,859
Thanks to all and especially Larry/HPA for your impressions. HPA, I think you saved me from getting these, I will hold off and later try a recabled RS-1. Between my experience with the stock & Black Dragoned GS1k, and your various comments on the weaknesses of the PS1000, I intend to go straight to a recabled PS1k. My question is: Do you (or others) think the APS V3 cable is likely better than the Black Dragon for Grados or the PS1K in particular? (I suspect the PS1K will do well with my HP4, as the GS1K overall does better with this amp than it had with the ZD)
I have some time to think this over as the HD800s are arriving tomorrow
normal_smile .gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #1,239 of 2,859
It's quite interesting that the HF-2 has been compared a couple times (rather favorably) to the HD650. Might anyone comment on this?

Much appreciated.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #1,242 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's quite interesting that the HF-2 has been compared a couple times (rather favorably) to the HD650. Might anyone comment on this?

Much appreciated.

I'm interested in this as well. Larry, you have any comment for this question?

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #1,243 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's odd our perception is so different, because getting flats for increased bass response was the main reason I felt others, including myself, would go with flats. I find, for my ears at least, that this is exactly what they do, along with collapsing the already small soundstage. I also find that we disagree on the bowls perspective as well. They indeed make the presentation more balanced for me on most of the John Grado models. I prefer flats with the RS-1, however I definitely prefer bowls on both the PS-1 and HF-1.

The Joe Grado HP-1000 is another animal entirely and doesn't fit in to the same criteria. I prefer them with flats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, flats sound muddy and closed in. The muddy bass response with flats is the reason I prefer bowls on all Grados including HP-1000
eek.gif

agree with both of you...a bit. have to have bowls on rs-1 and hf-1 (don't know about the rs-2) to deal with the muddy bass. i'm happy with flats or bowls with the other john grado headphones...i suspect the hf-2 will sound best with bowls, just based on initial reviews. haven't heard the ps-1, but i'm pretty sure i'd like them with bowls. loved the hp1000s with flats. no muddy bass whatsoever.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #1,245 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in this as well. Larry, you have any comment for this question?

I don't like the HD650 as much as the HD600, so sure, the HF-2 beat the HD650.
tongue.gif

There is still something sweet about a nice balanced HD600, or a re-cabled one driven off a nice tube amp like my WA6 - I haven't even gotten into comparing the HD600 to the HF-2 yet, which right now are stuffed under a pillow and burning in for me next to my HD800 doing the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back