The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 3, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #1,246 of 2,859
Hey HeadphoneAddict, sorry to ask another question as if you haven't answered enough already. But, how does the HF-2s treble (brightness wise) compare to the MS-1? Also how does the HF-2 midrange compare to the MS-1? I remember you saying somewhere the MS-1 resembled the RS-2 to you, but I've never heard them.

I guess I should just ask if I like the MS-1s (prefer them to SR-60s), what would I expect if I were to upgrade to the HF-2? Thanks.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #1,247 of 2,859
Having ordered these the first day they were available I have to tell you all that reading every post on every one of these 84 pages has really been FUN! Can't wait to get mine when they ship. Also getting a Heed Canamp to go with it. I know that the heed isn't considered the best with the Grado's, but I also have an AKG 701 which I'm sure will be a great match. The point of this post is that I feel a very strong connection with the head-fi community and want to thank each and every one of you who have posted on this thread.

I love you guys!

Thanks

Leo

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #1,248 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey HeadphoneAddict, sorry to ask another question as if you haven't answered enough already. But, how does the HF-2s treble (brightness wise) compare to the MS-1? Also how does the HF-2 midrange compare to the MS-1? I remember you saying somewhere the MS-1 resembled the RS-2 to you, but I've never heard them.

I guess I should just ask if I like the MS-1s (prefer them to SR-60s), what would I expect if I were to upgrade to the HF-2? Thanks.

I promise if you search this thread for posts by me, and that still leaves you with questions, that I will answer them after you do that. It's pretty easy to extrapolate the answers from what I've posted. Also look here: The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio (from that thread see post #87 for sure)

I am ranking these HF-2 up there above my previous SR-325i, RS-2 and HF-1 - with a close battle vs my APS re-cabled RS-1 (depending on which pads and music). I have posted my thoughts of them with bowl pads and flats here as well. Comparing them to the MS-1 is not a fair fight, as the HF-2 reveal just how colored my MS-1 and SR-60 really are.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #1,250 of 2,859
What is included w/ the HF 2? Is there a 1/4 to 1/8 cable in the box?

I asked as I also plan to use it while moving around with my portable. I since sold my 1/4 to 1/8 adapter with my previous 325i. =(

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #1,252 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo_b2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I asked as I also plan to use it while moving around with my portable. I since sold my 1/4 to 1/8 adapter with my previous 325i. =(

no, just the headphone. no extension cable or 1/8" adapter.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #1,253 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo_b2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dear God, why would you use such nice and exclusive 'phones for on-the-go?
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #1,254 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I promise if you search this thread for posts by me, and that still leaves you with questions, that I will answer them after you do that. It's pretty easy to extrapolate the answers from what I've posted. Also look here: The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio (from that thread see post #87 for sure)

I am ranking these HF-2 up there above my previous SR-325i, RS-2 and HF-1 - with a close battle vs my APS re-cabled RS-1 (depending on which pads and music). I have posted my thoughts of them with bowl pads and flats here as well. Comparing them to the MS-1 is not a fair fight, as the HF-2 reveal just how colored my MS-1 and SR-60 really are.

I understand it wouldn't be a fair fight, but I'm just trying to understand how the basic sound signature compares to the MS-1. So far, from more careful reading, it seems the HF-2s mid-range "fowardness" wise seems less forward then the RS-2, which should be less then the MS-1 according to what you say as they are similar. I can't really get a good handle of how bright/dark the HF-2 are compared to the MS-1, from reading one review, it said the HF-2 had better bass response and midrange compared to the MS-2i.

Reading your 87th post it seems the HF-2 might be even more neutral then the MS-1? So the treble is darker then the MS-1? From the sound of it, it seems the HF-2's mid-range is less forward then the MS-1 and isn't as bright as the MS-1? Does that sound about right?

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #1,255 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hpa mind if i ask what tracks you are using to burn in your hps ?

Anything I am listening to at the time, and when I step away I set the CD player to repeat - Diana Krall, Infected Mushroom, Jack Johnson, etc..

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #1,259 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try some liberators as well HPA, be interesting if theres the MS1000 synergy on these headphones

I still haven't drilled my rds spacers for the MS-1, so that might be a good chance to try them un-modded first with the HF-2 and MS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back