The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 24, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #631 of 2,859
how old are you to be medical retired? did you get millions of dollars as you go on lots of vacations and have tons of amazing gear? ME JEALOUS

PS: I would sell my kidneys for a pair of L3000 and Im 100% serious.

May 24, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #632 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how old are you to be medical retired? did you get millions of dollars as you go on lots of vacations and have tons of amazing gear? ME JEALOUS

PS: I would sell my kidneys for a pair of L3000 and Im 100% serious.

I'm a 47 year old pediatrician who was forced out of his profession early by medical disability. In 1999 the doctors gave me 5 years to live, and I was able to keep going part time till 2007. I think I deserve a few nice things right now. I am not rich, and with the stock market like it is I will likely be selling all my headphone gear in 3 years to pay for my kids college. What have you done to prepare for the future?

May 24, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #634 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What have you done to prepare for the future?

That's why he has two kidneys. One for L3000's and one for children's education/family retirement.

Spleen's don't fetch as much as they used to, you know.

May 24, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #635 of 2,859
Quote:

I'm a 47 year old pediatrician who was forced out of his profession early by medical disability. In 1999 the doctors gave me 5 years to live, and I was able to keep going part time till 2007. I think I deserve a few nice things right now. I am not rich, and with the stock market like it is I will likely be selling all my headphone gear in 3 years to pay for my kids college. What have you done to prepare for the future?

Well I know I've enjoyed your reviews and input on this forums. Definitely on my list of people who's opinion I can trust!

May 24, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #636 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe.

Except for the fact that the HF-2 will be crafted from the finest unobtanium, resulting in FOTM madness and selling prices above MSRP by year's end. You've been here long enough to know that out of production headphones always sound better than anything in production.

The SR-325i will never have that.

And, as a Grado fan, I'll have to hang onto my pair and make regular comments about it being a shame that so many missed out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Uncle Erik,

I guess you should know which material the HF-2 is made of since you already list it in your signature?
wink.gif

May 24, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #637 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uncle Erik,

I guess you should know which material the HF-2 is made of since you already list it in your signature?
wink.gif

Oh, I just got a little excited over the purchase and stuck it in there.
smily_headphones1.gif

And no, I don't know what the HF-2 will be like, though I just discovered that unobtanium has its own Wikipedia entry. Who knew?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #638 of 2,859
Quote:

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Make sure you keep something nice for yourself.

May 24, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #639 of 2,859
Quote:

triportsad.gif
Many props to you for finding something you love. This is the kind of thing that makes me strictly budget this hobby (and any others). I'm always afraid of not meeting my savings goals, and my friends are always laughing, so I cut back and save more. Good luck, man. Hopefully things recover for the better over the course of the nexty ear or so.

May 24, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #640 of 2,859
Quote:

I went on medical retirement 2 weeks after I joined - so I sit around in my chair all day listening to headphones, waiting until they develop implants to feed the sound directly to our brains. Until then, I'm just a monkey pushing the "entertain me" button (computer mouse button that is).

Quote:

OK, now it makes sense. Hope you are presently healthy and can lead a proper life.

As far as the future goes, I was laid off (5 years ago) from the job I had for 28 years and put all my pension into LIRA. I have two part-time jobs (that I enjoy) that pay the bills and if I sold my headphones I'd have some money but no future
icon10.gif

May 24, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #642 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, now it makes sense. Hope you are presently healthy and can lead a proper life.

As far as the future goes, I was laid off (5 years ago) from the job I had for 28 years and put all my pension into LIRA. I have two part-time jobs (that I enjoy) that pay the bills and if I sold my headphones I'd have some money but no future
icon10.gif

I'd still want some headphones in my future. My condition is progressive but worsens slowly, not quickly lately, so I hope I should have 5-20 more years. At one point it was bad enough to be discussing heart lung transplant, but it stabilized. If I had to sell it all I would at least keep my iPhone 3G with Westone ES3X customs, laptop with a nice portable DAC/amp like iBasso D10 with my HD600 or ESW10, and a high end electrostatic like SR-007 Mk1 with an inexpensive speaker amp and pro-bias transformer (instead of my $2500 amp). I could use the DAC/amp as source to feed the speaker amp/stats from my laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Southern California next weekend? Are you coming?

That's exactly what I had in mind - I am going to CanJam this coming Friday with my 11 year old son and Blutarsky. I was hoping to bring home my HF-2 from CanJam but I didn't find out about the HF-2 until a day after the anouncement. That was way too late to get in on the first 20. I don't really need one, so if it doesn't impress me away I'll cancel my order and be happy with my APS V3 cabled RS-1 while I wait for my HD800.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #643 of 2,859
I have been lurking for some time now. Just might have to sell my HF-1s and modded MS-1s to fund this. I'm excited.

May 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #644 of 2,859
Didn't mean anything negative I truly value your oppinion I was just jealous after seeing my bank account
frown.gif

May 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #645 of 2,859
Quote:

I need a vacation...

Hell Larry....I told you to take the Week Off...See you at the JAM Man!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back