The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Jan 8, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #1,501 of 1,528
Well as an original purchaser of these cans, all i can say is there keepers, there sound DOES change, bloated bass gets tighter & highs come out more.
There fun to use.
Only problem i have with them is my ears tend to get hot after wearing them for a couple of albums. Also prefer to use them with there original pads, to me they sound great.
Salad bowls take too much of the bass out, for my liking.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #1,503 of 1,528
Quick impressions.

The transducers on these things is of a higher definition than those of both the K701 and HD650, very noticeably so.  Very evident with ride cymbals and pianos.  Very close to the raw resolution of the D7000.  How slow are these K701/HD650?  It seems like quite a lot of headphones are quicker, more resolving and higher definition to me...even the PX100.

The HF2 has a signature that reminds me most of the HD800s...but more balanced.  This is how the HD800 should have sounded like.  The HD800 is still of a higher definition yet again, with a bigger soundstage and better overall precision.  The HF2 and HD800 remind me of "condenser microphone" midrange, treble and air, but the HF2 is more neutral to my ears, because its treble is less penetrating.

I like the HF2s excellent imaging and superb sweetness in the sibilance, a very open and airy presentation that reminds me of a front row seat and less of an on-stage tonality...which for me would sound more like the HD650 or LCD2.  These for me border on bright, less brighter than D7000 and HD800 in the trebles, both those cans cross my treble tolerance limit...the HF2 is happily within those limits, thank goodness.

I like these, I like these a lot.  I would sell either K701 or HD650 before I sold these.  These would be acceptable for studio monitoring purposes as I believe they are acceptably "neutral" with less glaring flaws than either the HD650/K701 titans.

I would recommend the HF2 over the HD650 and K701 to anybody that seeks my opinion.  I am very happy with this purchase.  These were a huge risk for me, because the PS1000 and GS1000 sounded horrible to me...but I got curious with other Grado's after hearing and liking a pair of Symphones Magnums at a recent meet.  But...my ears are now killing me, oh the pain!

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,504 of 1,528

Quote:
What I like about the HF2 is that you won't necessarily look ridiculous wearing them at the office while the RS1, you most certainly would. :)

That's odd... I've been nicknamed "Princess Leia" when I wear the HF2s at work.  Nobody ever questioned the HF-1s.  :)

Quote:
I like these, I like these a lot.  I would sell either K701 or HD650 before I sold these.  These would be acceptable for studio monitoring purposes as I believe they are acceptably "neutral" with less glaring flaws than either the HD650/K701 titans.

My father is a recording engineer and I let him listen to the MS-1s, HF-1s, and HF2s last time he was in town.  He said the same thing.  He liked the MS-1s over the HF-1s, but the HF2s by far over the others.  Basically said the transient response of the HF2 is better than his KRK monitors which are known for that ability.  Then he asked how to get a pair... I wished him luck :)

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,506 of 1,528
So far so good, they have not been too fatiguing in the highs, I could imagine some that may find the trebles just a fraction overdone...but for me they are what they are, perhaps the nicest treble I have heard, not as ruthless as the LCD2 in exposing treble flaws...but because of its fraction slower or smeared transients, impart an addictive tube like sweetness to sibilance and cymbals.

This is my first pair of Grados (won't be my last pair :p), so my comments are not in relation to any other Grados, but to every other can I have ever had in my possession.

The word that comes to my mind with both the HD800 and HF2 that I cannot apply to other cans so far is that the presentation is "galvanized".  Bringing with it an ethereal, heavenly and divine type sound to the overall presentation.  The HD800s, I felt, over did this galvanization and the results for me was a rude metallic glare...the HF2s on the other hand, is incredible.  A touch of aural glow, very exquisite and truly unique.  Yet still staying withing the acceptable limits of neutrality...neither cool nor warm, not too bright and definitely not dark. 

Ohh, the bass is quite nice, it kicks harder and goes lower than the HD650.  Bass control is a league above the HD650 and K701 and so are transients attacks.  Lately I have been equating precision with greater imaging, that is the better a driver can track a signal, the sharper the imaging.  The HF2s image extremely well due to a very accurate transducer.  They image better and is more 3 dimensional than the other two.  The other two does have a bigger headstage, or a more out of head experience...but the sound is more 2 dimensional and smeared.  The HF2 soundstage is fundamentally smaller but much more palpable and accurate.

I have separated headphones in terms of speed and there is a big chasm in my comparisons when it comes to speed of drivers.  The HD595, HD650, K1000 and K701 sit on one end...I find them highly unresolving and painfully slow these days...bass, mids, treble and all.  Then the other side I have heard T1/D7000/FostexT50/HD800/LCD2/STAX/HE60...of course there are further refinement levels within this class alone...but the point is, there is no way the HF2s sit in the snail category...they are much more resolving in every way to me and I feel they are a lot closer to the second category if not well within this category.

And this was a real surprise to me as from what I have read...even the RS1s were noted as a side grade to the HD650 and K701, so I was expecting a relative snail with a different tone.  It turns out, the HF2s for me are in a league well and truly above the traditional Titans.  When I had a quick audition of the GS1000 and PS1000 (5 seconds each on a familiar track), my initial reaction was, at best as resolving as my D7000s and at worst as slow as the HD650/K701s.  The HF2 at least, with extensive use definitely is in the at best scenario.  Whilst for a $1700 PS1000 is still quite laughable IMO...for the HF2 it becomes a rare gem.  In essence, I could also say the HF2 is closer to the HD800 in transient agility than the K701...without a doubt IMO.

Please take my impressions with a grain of salt, as always these are my opinions and they are liable to change over time.  One quick note...I did notice the bass went from OK to well defined with use, the previous owner only had a couple of hours on these HF2s. 

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #1,507 of 1,528
Quick impressions.

The transducers on these things is of a higher definition than those of both the K701 and HD650, very noticeably so.  Very evident with ride cymbals and pianos. 

SPWild, I'm glad to know other people hear the same with me. My HF2 is also higher definition than HD580 (which should be equal to HD600), that's why I let the HD580 go. But I'm still keeping my K701, because for female vocal, it is still hard to beat for the price.

Being rather "easy" to drive, I found that HF2 mislead many people that it could driven optimally with just ipod, which I found is not the true case... I tried HF2 with M-Stage (class A biased opamp) and surprised by the real quality that HF2 can deliver when well amped. But M-Stage with class A biased opamp is too farward for HF2 for my liking, so still I'm looking for the better match for it..

SPWild, what amp + source that you use or find best mating for HF2?

May 1, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,508 of 1,528
I used an Audio GD flagship DAC and amp, but the HF2 is still single ended.  I tried it out of the Cayin HA1A tube amp and it sounded excellent out of that as well, with stock tubes I heard a little hum, but it had that nice valve sound.  I have yet to try my MF V3 amplifier, but I am betting the V3 would be excellent for those that might think the treble is a shade too strong.  Its funny the timing of your post because last night I was listening to the K701 and then switched to the HF2...and reaffirmed that to my ears the HF2 was definitely more defined to my ears.

One thing I have noticed with the HF2 is that the lower midrange seems not to be as present as other cans with a nice bass presence, which goes against my experience with the HD650, D7000, LCD2, PX100s.  Then again its part and parcel of why and how the HF2 sound the way they do, no point saying I wished more lower midrange out of this can, then it would sound like other cans and it wouldn't sound so unique I guess.  Time to whip out the Porta Pros to see if it too doesn't sound a little leaner in the lower midrange...both HF2 and Porta Pros do not measure well at the sub bass in terms of linearity.

May 3, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,509 of 1,528
Thanks for sharing about the amp... I'll check that Cayin...

One thing I have noticed with the HF2 is that the lower midrange seems not to be as present as other cans with a nice bass presence, which goes against my experience with the HD650, D7000, LCD2, PX100s. Then again its part and parcel of why and how the HF2 sound the way they do, no point saying I wished more lower midrange out of this can, then it would sound like other cans and it wouldn't sound so unique I guess. Time to whip out the Porta Pros to see if it too doesn't sound a little leaner in the lower midrange...both HF2 and Porta Pros do not measure well at the sub bass in terms of linearity.

Yes there's a little dip of midrange on HF2. Originally I thought HF2 sounded warm, but by the time I realize that HF2 is actually sounded more neutral than warm. I think that lower midrange dip is the secret why eventhough HF2 have that impactfull bass, the bass does not colour the mid.

Talking about PortaPro... I never hear the standard version, but only the limited edition version... IMO, not that special. Have you ever hear Jay V-Jays? this is what I call something special portable phones (within its limitation and a little coloured), it sound much bigger than it should...

HF2 is my highend can (this is the most expensive phone that I could afford now), while V-Jays is my everyday and travelling can..

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #1,510 of 1,528
Bump for an amazing headphone. 

I have finally got around to extensive listening comparisons with the HF2 with the Musical Fidelity X can v3 amp.  I can understand why all the amp recommendations for grado's revolve around tube amps.  I knew the HF2 sounded nice with the Cayin tube amp, but the hum it imparts was just not acceptable to me.  With the V3 Xcan there is no hum and I still get that nice tube sound that gels so well.  I actually slightly prefer the synergy with the Xcan than the Phoenix amp for the HF2...that is because I feel that the HF2 could use a bit of tempering at the top end...for me the HF2 is really as bright as I can enjoy.

I've ordered an ebay Earmax OTL clone specifically for this headphone.  The HF2 deserves an amp specifically for it as it becomes my number 2 headphone and the D7000, K701 and HD650 gathers dust.  My unit is #16 that I purchased from Justin of headamp and there are only three headphones I have purchased that I have no regrets, the HD650, LCD-2 and the HF2.  Thanks to Currawong who brought his Symphones Magnums to Sydney where I was able to hear them...there is something quite unique about these Grados, I am listening to Pat Benetar and yeah, very special with rock.  There is little current discussion about the HF2s, I wish for this to change as they're especially lovely to listen to.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,512 of 1,528

Quote:
  There is little current discussion about the HF2s, I wish for this to change as they're especially lovely to listen to.

Actually I am not surprised that no one talks about the HF2 now- you can't get them. They rarely come up for sale these days.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #1,513 of 1,528
I've been trying to compare my recently purchased MS2i (direct from Alessandro) with my even more recently purchased HF2 (used B-stock) and the first thing that jumps out at me is how much more forward the HF2 sounds. Headstage on the MS2i sounds wider and deeper because of it. Bass on the HF2 seems just a little bit meatier and sometimes the MS2i mids sound a little thinner in parts. But otherwise I'm having a hard time picking out any other differences between the two, or at least any difference that I can attribute to something besides the difference in forwardness. The HF2 is just so noticeably more in your face (and louder) than the MS2i. Anyone else have a similar experience between these two?

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,514 of 1,528
To me, the bass is why I like the HF2. I had RS1s at the same time and I kept going back to the hf2 for the bass I was craving.

Quote:
I've been trying to compare my recently purchased MS2i (direct from Alessandro) with my even more recently purchased HF2 (used B-stock) and the first thing that jumps out at me is how much more forward the HF2 sounds. Headstage on the MS2i sounds wider and deeper because of it. Bass on the HF2 seems just a little bit meatier and sometimes the MS2i mids sound a little thinner in parts. But otherwise I'm having a hard time picking out any other differences between the two, or at least any difference that I can attribute to something besides the difference in forwardness. The HF2 is just so noticeably more in your face (and louder) than the MS2i. Anyone else have a similar experience between these two?

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,515 of 1,528
Bumping this thread to add a comment.

I got some Senn 600's and I must say, it's an interesting comparison. Firstly I realize I am comparing a $400 to a $200 headphone, but I think the HD600's are worth more than their asking price nowadays. I've always liked them, just never owned a pair before. The HD600's treble is really rolled off compared to most headphones, and Grados have slightly amped highs compared to what I consider neutral and this manifests itself in different ways. The thing that surprises me the most is just how much the old stereotypes are true. The Senns sound worlds better with symphonic band and classical music. You can crank it and crank it and they're never fatiguing. On the other hand the rolled off highs make rock music sound really dull. That lost treble, for me, literally makes drums sound like they have less impact, like the drummer is playing on a cheap drumset with loose heads or isn't completely with the rest of the band. That's got to be why I've always thought of these as sounding "slow". It also makes the sound seem a lot less detailed than on the HF2's. The HF1's with flat pads sound a lot like the HD600's, actually, but they still smoke the 600's on rock while the 600's smoke the HF1's on loud orchestral, band, and organ music, having what I perceive to me a more even high-frequency response (then again if you lower the whole upper end of the spectrum maybe that effect is inevitable).

The thing about the HF2's that detracts from an otherwise nearly perfect headphone in my opinion is the funky midrange. These have some weird peaks in the upper midrange that make it sound like you're listening to JUST THE VOCALS through a poorly designed horn speaker, and only at certain times. It's so weird. I've heard wavoman's HF2's, and he doesn't use his as much, and the problem is horrendous on his pair, in fact, the midrange sounds really really bumped up on his pair of HF2's. Clearly the problem goes away as you use them, or there's manufactuing variation. Who knows, maybe I was having a bad day when I listened to his, but to me it sounded like the midrange was blaring. Regardless, the midrange on the Senn HD600's is a real selling point for them. In terms of sheer evenness and accuracy my two Grados can't touch them, and really, I doubt many headphones in this price range can compare. It simply sounds natural.

Oh, and the HF2 really is 90% an improvement over the HF1. You really can't compare the detail between the two, it's like comparing an SR60 and an HD800. The HF2 really does have much better resolution in the treble than the average Grado. The 10% that isn't an upgrade is the fact that the bass on the HF1's is pretty gratifying, and the weird midrange on the HF2 that isn't present on the HF1 at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back