The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Nov 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #1,471 of 1,528

Quote:
Quote:
A bit over 1100 I think, based on the serial numbers ppl have posted here so far

Not really. The first batch went up to 524 (I believe), second batch (B-Stock) started at 550, third batch started at SN 1000.

The number of B stock HF-2 sold are less than 30. Just because the new serial numbers start at 1000 doesn't mean that they have sold 999 of them already.

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #1,472 of 1,528

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A bit over 1100 I think, based on the serial numbers ppl have posted here so far

Not really. The first batch went up to 524 (I believe), second batch (B-Stock) started at 550, third batch started at SN 1000.

The number of B stock HF-2 sold are less than 30. Just because the new serial numbers start at 1000 doesn't mean that they have sold 999 of them already.

That was exactly my point. I think it's more like 650 total.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #1,473 of 1,528

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That was exactly my point. I think it's more like 650 total.

Oh, I see..
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #1,474 of 1,528
I have just released my HF-2 #1096 from the spanish customs a couple of hours ago and I'm amazed with them.

I love the amount of bass, sub-bass, mids and treble with the music that I've tried: Rap, Nu metal, electronica, soul, R&B and funk. For me they are very good balanced and sound superb, just as I want any audio equipment to sound. I don't see the need to spend more and buy some PS-1000 or GS-1000, specially when you can try different pad to adjust the sound signature to your tastes. In a near future I will try them with the GS-1000 pads, just to check what sound I like more. I discard the flat pads because I believe they would be a bit bassy.

Definitely, I like the HF-2 more than the SR-325is that was about to buy some months ago. The HF-2 is very pleasing to the ear.

I'm using them with the Phonic Helix Board 12 MK II Firewire mixer headphone output and they don't need more amping. Almost all the music that I have is in mp3@320Kbps or FLAC.

Compared to my Fostex T50RP, the HF-2 have more clarity and extension in the treble caused by the open design, but lack a little bit of the bass and the mids of the orthodynamic design. It may be a crime for someone, but I consider the Fostex T50RP and the HF-2 to be a perfect couple, at least for my needs. Other people could have different needs or tastes.

I find the HF-2 quite comfortable, even with the glasses that I wear. The headband just "disappears" when you put them on your head and the clamp force is not as brutal as other open headphones. 

I don't believe in burning process, recabling and that sort of things, so these will be my impressions.

They only have a few bad points:

- The finish of the headphones is not as good as someone would expect in a $400+ headphone. This is specially notable in the drivers and the earpads.
- The lack of the 1/8" adaptor in the box.
- The headphone cable is a little bit crushed in some parts.

To end my post I would like to say that are one of my best buys of all times.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #1,475 of 1,528

Quote:
I have just released my HF-2 #1096 from the spanish customs a couple of hours ago and I'm amazed with them.

I find the HF-2 quite comfortable, even with the glasses that I wear. The headband just "disappears" when you put them on your head and the clamp force is not as brutal as other open headphones. 

I don't believe in burning process, recabling and that sort of things, so these will be my impressions.

They only have a few bad points:

- The finish of the headphones is not as good as someone would expect in a $400+ headphone. This is specially notable in the drivers and the earpads.
- The lack of the 1/8" adaptor in the box.
- The headphone cable is a little bit crushed in some parts.

To end my post I would like to say that are one of my best buys of all times.

I'm glad you're enjoying them as much as I have. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #1,476 of 1,528

Quote:
I'm glad you're enjoying them as much as I have. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks mate. They're trully awesome.

I would have never believed that I could love so much an open headphone, but the Grado HF-2 model deserve it.

Now I know what is the reason of the fame of Grado.

Cheers from Madrid. 
gs1000.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,477 of 1,528

Quote:

You're in for some very pleasant surprises then. I wasnt quite as happy with mine right out of the box. But these things definitely improve with burn in. The bass in mine were a bit bloopy and bloaty when I first got them They tightened up quite a bit after just a few hours. Now after a couple of weeks and several more hours of use, plus just letting them run a couple hours here and there, they are really starting to open up and sound better and better

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #1,478 of 1,528

Quote:
Quote:

You're in for some very pleasant surprises then. I wasnt quite as happy with mine right out of the box. But these things definitely improve with burn in. The bass in mine were a bit bloopy and bloaty when I first got them They tightened up quite a bit after just a few hours. Now after a couple of weeks and several more hours of use, plus just letting them run a couple hours here and there, they are really starting to open up and sound better and better

Agreed, I've maintained right from the start that the HF-2 bass is a bit bloated or poorly controlled until after burn-in.  They also sound smoother and less grainy with burn-in.  This was confirmed when comparing my well burned-in #24 to my son's new #120 when his first arrived a couple of months after I got mine.  With hundreds of hours on both pairs they now sound the same.

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,479 of 1,528

Quote:

I 100% agree.  I didn't used to believe in burn in, but now I most certainly do.  But I heard the same thing: the bass is simply too much out of the box.  But it tightens up nicely after not too long burning them in.  (I'd say 15-20 hrs.)  Amazing headphone !!

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #1,480 of 1,528

Quote:
Quote:

I 100% agree.  I didn't used to believe in burn in, but now I most certainly do.  But I heard the same thing: the bass is simply too much out of the box.  But it tightens up nicely after not too long burning them in.  (I'd say 15-20 hrs.)  Amazing headphone !!

I dont know about you Kevin but the HF2 seemed somewhat 2 dimensional right out of the box, now that they have burned in a little they are becoming more 3 dimensinal and they are becoming more balanced. I'm assuming it was the phone that opened up but it's entirely possible that it was a psychoacoustic thing as well. That it took my head some time to wrap itself around what was being presented. The mids are more prominent to my ears now too, because they are not taking a backseat to the bass and they are a lot smoother than they were. Smooth like my MS2 smooth. Not as forward or as prominent as they were in the MS2 but very nice. The MS2 could never do bass like these things though. Overall the HF2 is a warmer sounding headphone than other Grado's I've had. All in all a very nice presentation one that I will be enjoying for a long time me thinks

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #1,481 of 1,528
 I agree.  But I think the HF2's sound changed more than there was any adjustment of my brain to them.  I know that because I've been constantly comparing them to the MS2i's that I know very well and love very much.  And I agree too, they've become much more balanced over the time that I've had them.

Let's see if I can put it this way.  I still use comfies for both the MS2i and HF2's, but here are my EQ settings for both:

MS2i: -3 dB at 8 kHz, further mellowing out the "Grado sound"
HF2: -1 dB at 62 and 125 Hz (just a nudge down of the bass), and -1 dB at 8 kHz

They do not sound the same after these EQ settings, but each headphone sounds the best to me with these settings.  But the point is, the much more gentle EQ'ing of the HF2 that I feel is necessary.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #1,482 of 1,528
First impressions, coming from my main K701s:

holy darkness, Batman!

And I never thought I would ever say that about Grados. I can hear the traditional Grado aggressiveness in the mids (oh how I've missed you, guitars), and the bass (probably more accurately, sub-bass) is there in much greater quantities than on the K701, but the treble, while probably somewhat balanced, is just completely overwhelmed by the mids and bass. I read some of the reviews and I don't think I could say that the HD650s are darker than the HF2. Honestly, I just can't see it. Seeing as how this is my first experience with bowls (my only other Grado experience coming from MS1000is and SR60s) I'm still getting used to the fit and the strange soundstage (the drivers are sitting on your ears, but there's still a little distance between where the soundstage starts and your ear... not to say that the soundstage is that large, but it's not quite as upfront as Grados with comfies).

Detail is there, but nowhere near the level of detail present on the K701s/DT880s. But then again, Grados were never really meant for analytical listening - they were made to RTFO, and that's exactly what I'm doing. Audiophilia can bite me, I don't want to analyze my music or my headphones, I just want to listen... the HF2s will stay on my head a little while longer
smily_headphones1.gif

Point of interest - has anyone tried putting jumbo pads on the HF-2s? Given the darker sound signature I have a feeling the brightness jumbo pads usually impart upon Grados will work well.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,483 of 1,528

Quote:
First impressions, coming from my main K701s:

holy darkness, Batman!

And I never thought I would ever say that about Grados. I can hear the traditional Grado aggressiveness in the mids (oh how I've missed you, guitars), and the bass (probably more accurately, sub-bass) is there in much greater quantities than on the K701, but the treble, while probably somewhat balanced, is just completely overwhelmed by the mids and bass. I read some of the reviews and I don't think I could say that the HD650s are darker than the HF2. Honestly, I just can't see it. Seeing as how this is my first experience with bowls (my only other Grado experience coming from MS1000is and SR60s) I'm still getting used to the fit and the strange soundstage (the drivers are sitting on your ears, but there's still a little distance between where the soundstage starts and your ear... not to say that the soundstage is that large, but it's not quite as upfront as Grados with comfies).

Detail is there, but nowhere near the level of detail present on the K701s/DT880s. But then again, Grados were never really meant for analytical listening - they were made to RTFO, and that's exactly what I'm doing. Audiophilia can bite me, I don't want to analyze my music or my headphones, I just want to listen... the HF2s will stay on my head a little while longer
smily_headphones1.gif

Point of interest - has anyone tried putting jumbo pads on the HF-2s? Given the darker sound signature I have a feeling the brightness jumbo pads usually impart upon Grados will work well.

Yes, the jumbo pads from PS/GS-1000 do increase the treble and pull back the mids a bit.  It's better with some music but a lot of music seems too recessed and thin.  I prefer the bowl pads, and the sound does improve very noticeably with burn-in - I've compared my well used #24 to my son's #120 when his 1st arrived, and mine had smoother treble and better bass control.

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #1,485 of 1,528

Quote:
I can concur with Larry. It's a situational thing but definitely nice to have when you need a change of pace. 

Yes, change of pace is a good way to put it.  I have jumbos, bowls and flats to try with any of my Grados.  I also have Headphile C-pads for the MS-1/SR-60, but they don't fit the wooden Grados like RS-2/RS-1.  I never thought to try them with the HF-2.  Hmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back