The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Dec 27, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #1,351 of 1,528
i almost sat on my RS1 that one time...that was pretty scary.
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #1,352 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a pair of MS-Pros just out of curiosity to see if these HF2s are the best Grados made. Haven't heard the PS1000 either but I suspect the increased/distance/soundstage would be a deal killer for me.

Come on guys, i know you all love your new headphones but they are not better than the Pro series (PS1,PS1K) With regards to the above quote, yes there is added distance, which is different, but the PS1k do every aspect of audio better. Better Vocals, highs, lows , bass etc. The PS1s are amazing when paired with the right amp and tubes. The PS1Ks are very similar with a larger soundstage. The HF2s are amazing value for money, dont get me wrong, they are almost in the same league as the PRO models and are a fraction of the cost, but sorry guys, they're not the best grados ever made.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #1,353 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-large]IMO:[/size]Come on guys, i know you all love your new headphones but they are not better than the Pro series (PS1,PS1K) With regards to the above quote, yes there is added distance, which is different, but the PS1k do every aspect of audio better. Better Vocals, highs, lows , bass etc. The PS1s are amazing when paired with the right amp and tubes. The PS1Ks are very similar with a larger soundstage. The HF2s are amazing value for money, dont get me wrong, they are almost in the same league as the PRO models and are a fraction of the cost, but sorry guys, they're not the best grados ever made.

Fixed.

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #1,355 of 1,528
Quote:

Come on guys, i know you all love your new headphones but they are not better than the Pro series (PS1,PS1K) With regards to the above quote, yes there is added distance, which is different, but the PS1k do every aspect of audio better. Better Vocals, highs, lows , bass etc. The PS1s are amazing when paired with the right amp and tubes. The PS1Ks are very similar with a larger soundstage. The HF2s are amazing value for money, dont get me wrong, they are almost in the same league as the PRO models and are a fraction of the cost, but sorry guys, they're not the best grados ever made.

I didn't say ever made, I said currently made. I'm sorry but I don't want added distance, Grado should not be making their PS1k's more distant IMO. I did order an MS-Pro to compare to the HF2 as I haven't heard that one.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #1,356 of 1,528
Sorry to dig this up, but I've noticed that, for me at least, you do have to use them quite a lot before they sound right because the bowl pads need time to conform to your head. Before that happens, they sound too bright. You want that antihelix part of your ear to dig into the bowl pad and impress into it...then the headphone will pop onto and seal right onto your head. This is part of the design, I'm sure.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #1,357 of 1,528
I just got a used pair of HF2 in today. They sound great!! Much more lifelike than HD650 when playing acoustic instruments and for some reason the bass is less fatiguing on the HF2.

I know many people have complained about smudges/scratches on the metal cups. The cups on mine are fairly decent, but there is a cloudyness that looks 'smeared' in a very crisp line if that makes sense.

Has anybody tried cleaning these with anything like isopropyl alcohol? Is it possible to remove the smudgey appearance or is it pretty much stuck that way?

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,358 of 1,528
Quote:

I've heard the PS1k and I definitely prefer the HF2. The former is more academically correct or so to speak but I much prefer the tone and color of my HF2.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #1,359 of 1,528
I've been doing a lot of comparisons with the MS-Pros, I think I prefer the MS-Pros but I could see others preferring the HF-2s for the fuller bass, I just notice an attentuation of the lower mids with the HF-2s you can really hear it on lower guitar notes, they really fall into the background. Too early to sell the HF2s though, I may find an amp they synergize with better.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #1,360 of 1,528
got some jumbo pads for my hf2 and comfort levels are astounding. Fits perfectly around my ears. The sound does change but not sure if its for the better, as I am used to the bowls and they capture more emotion and excitement. With the jumbo's, I haven't heard any harsh sibilance and the jumbos provide a better the sound stage, separation and congestion is lifted. However, bass impact is not the same and tone has changed. I crushed the jumbos under some books and they sound much livelier the closer they are to the ears and so I will continue to crush them flat.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #1,363 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was the price of the HF2 when it was introduced?

Thank you!

They were $429.

I just bought a pair of RS1i's, but now I feel stupid about it if I could have gotten HF2's for a fraction of the price. I have never heard them, but judging by the posts and comparisons, the HF2's sound like the superior 'phone.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #1,364 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were $429.

I just bought a pair of RS1i's, but now I feel stupid about it if I could have gotten HF2's for a fraction of the price. I have never heard them, but judging by the posts and comparisons, the HF2's sound like the superior 'phone.

What a bargain!

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #1,365 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were $429.

No more like a different flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back