The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Oct 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #1,081 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how could anyone sell this after listening to it!!!???
rolleyes.gif

Probably have an inferior source and amp.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #1,083 of 1,528
busanblues;6076350 said:
looks like you are my ****ing problem. Did you ever think to get a post office box and insurance? You're the ***** who chose to live in a such a god forsaken hole and didn't take the precautions to protect your interests./QUOTE]

i would have take the precautions to protect my interests i couldn't for the reasons above.. for a student trying to be at home when the package is coming is precaution and always worked and i don't think i am asking too much...
dude. whatever

Quote:

Have you notified USPS?/QUOTE]

yes, and this time they left my amp3 with my next door neighbor..

You're not serious are you? You're saying that if you had received a shipping notice you would have stayed home for up to 2 weeks waiting patiently day after day after day for the parcel? Shipping notices are just that, simply a notice that an item has shipped. They do NOT indicate when the parcel will be delivered. I received my headphones 3 weeks after receiving the shipping notice. Same as tracking numbers - they don't tell you that your parcel is on a truck an 27 minutes from your door, they simply tell you that your parcel is in the system and possibly (if international) if it is at customs at the border - nothing more. If you live in an apartment or a complex where parcels may simply get left outside a door or in a lobby and you use cheap USPS regular shipping, then unfortunately you get what you paid for (or in this case do not get). The least you could have done (and the options WERE available through Todd) was to pay a little extra for insured and even priority shipping that required a signature upon delivery. You chose not to and are now paying the consequences of YOUR actions (or should I say inactions). I feel sorry for you, but put the blame where the blame lies.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #1,084 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or better headphones.
redface.gif

Haha, I think I might have better headphones than the HF-2 also but am keeping them because they sound different enough from my other Grados.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #1,085 of 1,528
When we talk about the difference between RS1 and HF-2, is the difference subtle enough to own both? or is it just a bit waste of money for owning both cans?

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #1,086 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I think I might have better headphones than the HF-2 also but am keeping them because they sound different enough from my other Grados.

I enjoyed the HF-2 on a number of rigs I tried too. It did seem to better the HF-1 and would be the Grado I would get (while I do love the HP series and PS-1 much more though).

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #1,087 of 1,528
Quote:

When we talk about the difference between RS1 and HF-2, is the difference subtle enough to own both? or is it just a bit waste of money for owning both cans?

It's a waste. Get a used Stax setup instead.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #1,088 of 1,528
Quote:

how could anyone sell this after listening to it!!!???
rolleyes.gif

I am the second owner of the HF2 I own. I bought them based on all the good reviews. However upon receiving it and fully burning them in (well over 350 hours) I realized the sound was not for me. Specially after comparing them with my RS-1, which IMO has a wider soundstage and better treble extension. The HF2 has more bass punch.

Quote:

One of the main reasons I am selling my HF2 is because I prefer the sound out of my RS-1. This after various weeks of extensive testing with various amps and sources.

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #1,089 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed the HF-2 on a number of rigs I tried too. It did seem to better the HF-1 and would be the Grado I would get (while I do love the HP series and PS-1 much more though).

I have the exact opinion of everything you said here:

HF2> HF1
HP1000, PS1> HF2

I do love the midrange sweetness of the older RS1 and prefer them over the HF2 overall but welcome the heavier bass on the HF2.
Tried the salad bowl on HF2 and the sound changed a lot. To me they sound like GS1000 that way but not as good. At the end I just switched back to bowls. *I don't like flats on them too much.

Still, they are a keeper for me.

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #1,090 of 1,528
Quote:

The RS-1 is the more refined can. The HF-2 has more bass emphasis but it isn't as well controlled. The RS-1 can play okay with bowls and the soundstage improves, although the bass recedes a bit. The HF-2 doesn't play well with bowls, the bass gets fairly flabby and you don't notice the soundstage benefit. Both are fun with flats, but neither are "reference" cans. If you just want cans for rock and use flats, the HF-2 is a definite contender. I find the HF-2 preferable to everything Grado below the RS-1.

Keeping both sort of depends on how much $$$ you're willing to have tied up in grados. If you're a grado nut, sure, they're more than different enough to justify owning both. I am considering keeping both, but really can't justify it. I have much "better" cans at home than either one and need only one fun dynamic can for a simple work rig. For the first couple weeks after the HF-2 arrived I was sure I'd be selling my RS-1's, now I doubt it will go that way. I'm giving it a few more weeks before making a decision.

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #1,091 of 1,528
For me the decision to keep the hf2s as my primary full sized headphones was fairly easy. They do MUSIC really well. They're not the best at anything, but when I put them on, the tone is right, the magic is there, and I'm lost in my music. I'm never distracted by details or bothered by strange tone. They aren't bass monsters, but they do convey bass well.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #1,092 of 1,528
Happy to report that I still find myself putting on the HF2 occasionally despite the JH13 Pro having come in. The JH13 is definitely better in every way, but the HF2 sounds very different and has that entrancing midbass kick that I find myself craving every once in a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #1,093 of 1,528
I have been playing the HF2's about the same as the JH13's. From what I read on the sound quality issues, I think there may be variances in the HF2's. I use the large bowls with mine, get very, very good staging, realistic bass, as much detail as I would want and an airness that on live recordings, takes you there. I prefer them at this time to my Ultrasone Ed. 9, and find the quality it imparts to acoustical blues to be very special and engrossing.

The amp I am using is my very modified Woo 6. I use the Lisa III some but it actually clips with these phones, which I find odd as it should have plenty of power both in mA's and voltage swing. The Woo 6 doesn't clip and although tubes tend to soft clip when they do, but you get some compression at first. The Woo 6 doesn't compress so for some reason is putting out more power than the Lisa III for the needs of the HF2. Normally more mA's would be the problem due to the current needs of the Grado but the Lisa III puts out more mA's than the Woo 6.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #1,095 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Lisa III some but it actually clips with these phones, which I find odd as it should have plenty of power both in mA's and voltage swing. The Woo 6 doesn't clip and although tubes tend to soft clip when they do, but you get some compression at first. The Woo 6 doesn't compress so for some reason is putting out more power than the Lisa III for the needs of the HF2. Normally more mA's would be the problem due to the current needs of the Grado but the Lisa III puts out more mA's than the Woo 6.

Hmmm... that sounds strange. I never get any clipping. On the contrary I find the crispness of the LISA III suits the mellowness of the HF-2 very fine. This makes it a great pleasure for the ears. Listening fatigue is not an issue with this combination and I agree with what you say about live recordings. Most of all I enjoy live jazz with female vocals - VERY VERY smooth
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back