The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Sep 4, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #826 of 1,528
I have about 20 hours on mine.

The sound stage is odd. It feels horizontal and sounds that are further away have a sort of tunnel effect. I tried them with comfys pads and the tunnel effect went away but they got extra forward in the mids.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #827 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound stage is odd. It feels horizontal and sounds that are further away have a sort of tunnel effect.

this is what i noticed when i used bowls with mine. i'm surprised that not many other people had this experience. but it sounded like those sounds far away were coming from a small narrow tunnel. thus why i was complaining about the soundstage being congested and not as open/airy. bagels seem to have solved that problem though.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #829 of 1,528
Just got them, and out of the box, it seems a bit harsh on the upper end. Bass needs some tightening up, but other than that, they sound like Grados.
I do agree with people regarding the bowls and bagels, the bowls make them sound really nasally and closed in. With the bagels, they sound much more open, and the comfort level is so much better than bowls too. Bagels are well worth their money on the HF-2s, at least with initial impressions.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #830 of 1,528
It's interesting to see all these conflicting reports regarding the pad of choice. For me, the HF2 is settling in nicely with the bowl pads and I doubt I'll be in rush to try different pads. Besides, I've heard that jumbo pads actually introduce sibilance and that's a big no-no for me.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #831 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting to see all these conflicting reports regarding the pad of choice. For me, the HF2 is settling in nicely with the bowl pads and I doubt I'll be in rush to try different pads. Besides, I've heard that jumbo pads actually introduce sibilance and that's a big no-no for me.

yes, i can confirm the jumbo/bagel pad do introduce some sibilance compared
to the bowls that they come in... but it's so much more comfortable.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #833 of 1,528
Man...I just plopped them on my ears when the UPS delivered the standard HF2 today...and DAMN...no discomfort... Guess my ears are the right shape or something.

Sound good so far. Definitely more bass than SR125's I've been using here at the office....and maybe more air... Will have to listen more.....

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #834 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man...I just plopped them on my ears when the UPS delivered the standard HF2 today...and DAMN...no discomfort... Guess my ears are the right shape or something.

Give it a couple of hours...
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #835 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukular /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sound good so far. Definitely more bass than SR125's I've been using here at the office....and maybe more air... Will have to listen more.....

Your experience is similar to mine. I find them comfortable and they definitely have more bass presence that the SR125's. They have more weight overall but the SR125's do sound crisper to me though.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #836 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I found the bowl uncomfortable at first because I'm wearing glasses. What I did in the end is propping my glasses above the bowl pad to avoid pressure developing in the upper ears. This helps immensely in comfort.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #837 of 1,528
Better then the PS1000?! Come on John!Make some more!!!!
frown.gif
mad.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #838 of 1,528
Interesting, going between pads right now, the bowls definitely tame down the highs right now. With the bagels, they get way too sibilant to get comfortable with. It'll be interesting how this changes with burn-in.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #839 of 1,528
I think I have also the perfect "Grado-ears" because I can wear any Grado with bowls for multiple hours without discomfort. I only had to bend the headband slightly loose than stock but everything else is like new.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #840 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2. I wonder if a piece of felt/foam on top of the driver would solve this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back