The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Jul 17, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #316 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, if you sent them back, would they just pass them on to the next person? even though it would be technically a used pair? or would they sell them as b-stock/used/demo?

Todd just addressed this question on the TTVJ forum...basically, I think he said that the issue hasn't come up yet, but he'd make some kind of deal with the person next in line, I think. He did say he wouldn't be selling used items as new.

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #317 of 1,528
# 108 checking in! Just got them when I came home from work today. Boy or boy, right out of the box they sound great. You may notice from my Picture on my profile that I'm partial to the Grateful Dead. Listening to Sugar Magnolia from the "Closing of Winterland" album. Oh my gosh. Great sound stage, a lot of air between the instruments. Bass is controlled, but very, very, powerful. Different from the SR-80's I still have and definitely different than the 701's hanging in the corner. I'm going be listening to these babies a long time. I guess it's too late to order if you're interested. Too bad. Amazing headphones. Thanks John, thanks Todd. I'm going to have one heck of weekend no doubt about. Time to light up the Arturo Fuente Hemingway, have another Ying Ling (we like to call it LAGER), and then off to a long night of eargasims.

See you guys!

Leo

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #318 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
# 108 checking in! Just got them when I came home from work today. Boy or boy, right out of the box they sound great. You may notice from my Picture on my profile that I'm partial to the Grateful Dead. Listening to Sugar Magnolia from the "Closing of Winterland" album. Oh my gosh. Great sound stage, a lot of air between the instruments. Bass is controlled, but very, very, powerful. Different from the SR-80's I still have and definitely different than the 701's hanging in the corner. I'm going be listening to these babies a long time. I guess it's too late to order if you're interested. Too bad. Amazing headphones. Thanks John, thanks Todd. I'm going to have one heck of weekend no doubt about. Time to light up the Arturo Fuente Hemingway, have another Ying Ling (we like to call it LAGER), and then off to a long night of eargasims.

See you guys!

Leo

Congrats and happy listening, Leo! I'm drooling in anticipation. At least another month before mine arrives.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #319 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard anyone comment on reverse bowls yet! I'm still burning my pair in
frown.gif

I've found with my other grados ~ bringing the driver closer or further to the ear makes a huge world of difference, for me the sweet spot is different for every pair.

I will admit on the models I've heard, the hf-2's are the first time that listening with regular bowls in regular position is the first time I've had a bearable listening exp. with a grado.

I may be a bit of a freak then. My ears are very small and fit entirely within bowls, just the top and bottom edge are pushed in a little bit by the angled part of the bowl. In other words for me the bowls are almost circumaural rather than supra-aural and the white cloth-covered surface touches nearly my whole ear. So maybe for me bowls are like flats, and maybe salad bowls would be like bowls for others? It will be interesting to see..

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #320 of 1,528
luckyleo, congrats on receiving your hf2s! Happy Listening!
Feifan, I'm joining you in the wait with great anticipation but that's what I get for canceling and then reordering....I waffled.
Madman007, I may be a freak also...the bowls on my RS-1 fit around my ears not quite the space there as the salad bowls but I've always found the bowls to be comfortable.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #321 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats and happy listening, Leo! I'm drooling in anticipation. At least another month before mine arrives.

No fear my friend! It's worth the wait indeed. I'm listening to a fellow called Keb Mo'. The bass is quick, tight, and refined, but definetly there. The highs are also tight but not shrill like some of the other Grado's. Air, Air, Air.......Seperation for sure. I've never heard a Grado with this much sound stage (of course I haven't heard that many Grado's only the Igrado, SR-60, SR-80, and of course the 325i). This is by far the best of the bunch. To even compare them to those above is not fair to the HF-2's. All of you who haven't ordered, too bad. To those who have congrats! Look forward to hearing them. I will be greatly surprised if you are disappointed.

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #323 of 1,528
Since it appears that I'm the one that raised the question about how returns will be handled, I thought it would be good for me to post here that I think I'll be keeping them. I put some of my heavy-rotation rock on last night and these headphones are really wonderful in that genre. These certainly won't be the "one phone does it all" for me, but the combination of performance and rarity are tipping me back into the "keeping them" camp...

Even with the slightly tipped-up treble, I might end up with salad bowls on mine. In contrast with some of the smallish ears here, I think mine are a bit more like satellite dishes!!

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #325 of 1,528
Well well, not gonna add my comments on my first post, because I have been listening to my pair for very little time (12 hours more or less), but I have just found that a music album I could not listen to with my SR225 I can now listen with the HF-2. Manegarm - Vargstenen is the artist/album. With the Fostex T50RP I could no problem.

I am really liking my pair, and with the Little Dot I+ it sounds great. Gonna try a SS amp with these once I buy one. This hybrid amp has some noticeable distortion (also measured in another thread).

Oh and I was wondering, from all of us who have gotten our pair, who has had to pay for customs? USA members forget about the question
rolleyes.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #326 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my discussions with Todd at canjam, I think it's safe to say these are Todd's vision, not John's
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting comment Grawk. This catches me by surprise. Care to elaborate?

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #327 of 1,528
I've been burning these in for a few days, and it seems they have changed a bit over that time, they seem smoother, there was a certain screechy or showty quality about them at first, despite them already being the smoothest John Grado phone ever made. Now, they seem to have smoothed out more, and not by means of a roll-off or anything. Just a silky smoothness. Still aggressive. but they sound less clinical then before. Or maybe I've just got some earwax jammed in my ears, who knows.

I still would prefer more richness to the vocals, but they're sounding really good! My only complaint before was that shoutyness, and the certain clinical sound, both of which are improving.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #328 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been burning these in for a few days, and it seems they have changed a bit over that time, they seem smoother, there was a certain screechy or showty quality about them at first, despite them already being the smoothest John Grado phone ever made. Now, they seem to have smoothed out more, and not by means of a roll-off or anything. Just a silky smoothness. Still aggressive. but they sound less clinical then before. Or maybe I've just got some earwax jammed in my ears, who knows.

I still would prefer more richness to the vocals, but they're sounding really good! My only complaint before was that shoutyness, and the certain clinical sound, both of which are improving.

I agree that burn-in helps. My son has HF-2 #120 and I have #24. I stopped deliberate burn-in after 250 hours, and stopped counting hours after 350 with mine, and he has only maybe 1 hour on his. The differences are just what you describe.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #329 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that burn-in helps. My son has HF-2 #120 and I have #24. I stopped deliberate burn-in after 250 hours, and stopped counting hours after 350 with mine, and he has only maybe 1 hour on his. The differences are just what you describe.

I'm not sure that I can accept these comments as fact, perhaps you should send both pairs to me so I can confirm.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #330 of 1,528
yay for burn-in! out of the box the HF2 indeed sounded a little shrill like a darker SR325i. now, i'm at a little past the 150 hr mark and the tone definitely sounds closer to RS1. i would describe the sound as a darker RS1 (or grado version HD650 still). bass is still very prominent and sort of cloaks over the sound. still waiting for it to open up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back