The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Apr 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #706 of 1,132
Quote:
I was in contact with Thomas all the time about my purchase and mods. He was the most helpful man I ever saw. I am giving his email to you buddy, try to talk with him.

Thank you. I'll send him an e-mail soon. Even though the response I received from GM so far is unsatisfactory, I replied to it hoping to clarify the matter; to insure no miscommunication was taking place. I intended to wait for a reply before pursuing alternatives and I'm not certain if they check their e-mail over the weekend, so it might be a few days until I send Thomas an e-mail. Nonetheless, I'm now hopeful I'll be able to get an 8.35D without having to learn to how recable headphones. A daunting task for me, as I've never had occasion to solder something. Again, thank you.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #707 of 1,132
Quote:
Thank you. I'll send him an e-mail soon. Even though the response I received from GM so far is unsatisfactory, I replied to it hoping to clarify the matter; to insure no miscommunication was taking place. I intended to wait for a reply before pursuing alternatives and I'm not certain if they check their e-mail over the weekend, so it might be a few days until I send Thomas an e-mail. Nonetheless, I'm now hopeful I'll be able to get an 8.35D without having to learn to how recable headphones. A daunting task for me, as I've never had occasion to solder something. Again, thank you.

You are welcome mate. I hope everything will be clearer for you soon.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #708 of 1,132
How do these stack up against the KRK 8400s?  I'm already happy with my collection for listening to music, but I'm looking for a good pair of cans for making music with.  My music making will include using electronic sounds, but I am very keen to have some headphones with accuracy and transparency for recording and mixing/mastering orchestral/acoustic instruments as well.  Accuracy and good frequency response is going to be key for me.  I bought a vintage pair of AKG K240DF recently, and despite their nice midrange presentation, I wouldn't be happy with using them for production duties with their lack of bass response.  I do have a number of nice headphones in my collection, but as you may see, they are far from neutral and probably not the best for making music with.  Am I wrong?  Are any of them appropriate for that task?  If not, I've narrowed my list down to the mentioned 4 headphones that may just fit the bill.  Have I missed any other glaringly obvious choices?  These are all around the same sort of price for me here.

Beyerdynamic DT250 - £140
KRK 8400 - £130
SoundMAGIC HP100 - £160
German Maestro GMP 8.35D - £160

Thanks in advance for any help!

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #709 of 1,132
Quote:
How do these stack up against the KRK 8400s?  I'm already happy with my collection for listening to music, but I'm looking for a good pair of cans for making music with.  My music making will include using electronic sounds, but I am very keen to have some headphones with accuracy and transparency for recording and mixing/mastering orchestral/acoustic instruments as well.  Accuracy and good frequency response is going to be key for me.  I bought a vintage pair of AKG K240DF recently, and despite their nice midrange presentation, I wouldn't be happy with using them for production duties with their lack of bass response.  I do have a number of nice headphones in my collection, but as you may see, they are far from neutral and probably not the best for making music with.  Am I wrong?  Are any of them appropriate for that task?  If not, I've narrowed my list down to the mentioned 4 headphones that may just fit the bill.  Have I missed any other glaringly obvious choices?  These are all around the same sort of price for me here.

KRK 8400 - £130
SoundMAGIC HP100 - £160

I'm a big fan of the 240DF myself, but since getting the hd580, I agree that the DF is lacking in bass.  I know a forum member who uses the 240DF to produce, and listen to, electronica, but I find that kind of odd, myself..  The dt250 is supposed to have a very similar presentation to the hd600 which is about as neutral as you can get. Unfortunately I've never heard the GMP's, but I had the dt250 at one time and liked it a lot. I sold it because at the time I didn't need another closed phone. I'm using the DF right now for music production, but I balance it with the hd580 for the lows as well as some other sources for monitoring. It's a tricky business trying to determine what's 'neutral'.

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #710 of 1,132
Quote:

KRK 8400 - £130
SoundMAGIC HP100 - £160

I would say go for GM or KRK. I chose GM but I heard that KRK 8400 is very good too. Acix is making music too and he is using GM + K701 combination if I am not mistaking.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #714 of 1,132
Quote:
They are way much colored compared to 8.35d. I think Marleybob217 can give you more information cuz I just demoed DT770 (80 ohms) and it was not too long. For me, they are really colored.

Haha, well I have to agree with you. They are very colored, way too much (loose) bass, and the most impressive sibilance I've ever heard.

I guess the DT770s could be pretty fun when listening to dance music without any vocals in them, or other sharp sounds.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #715 of 1,132
Quote:
Haha, well I have to agree with you. They are very colored, way too much (loose) bass, and the most impressive sibilance I've ever heard.

I guess the DT770s could be pretty fun when listening to dance music without any vocals in them, or other sharp sounds.

The buddy saved the day 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back