The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Apr 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #721 of 1,132
Today I got to pick up the alpha pads which I wanted to use with the hifiman HE-400. 
Turns out, they do not sound good with the HE-400, very muddy sounding next to the J$s.
When I heard them on the GMs my first impressions were basically the same as with HE-400, very muddy sounding. Then I switched back to the oval pads and I have to say it's not as muddy sounding as I first heard.

What do the alpa pads do to the sound? Bass increases with about 5db, it's substantial. Treble sounds a bit smoother, and the 'glaringness' of the sound is either lessened by a decrease of the upper mids or is masked by the boost in bass. 

Pro's: More bass quantity, with about the same quality. Upper mids are tamed a bit.
Cons: A bit less detail in treble. A thicker sound due to the added bass.

I'd say this sound is slightly more enjoyable than with the oval pads because it completely terminates the tinny sound I was complaining about.

Interesting fact, the alpha pads completely lack damping holes. I'd say adding holes could only help the sound. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #722 of 1,132
Quote:
Today I got to pick up the alpha pads which I wanted to use with the hifiman HE-400. 
Turns out, they do not sound good with the HE-400, very muddy sounding next to the J$s.
When I heard them on the GMs my first impressions were basically the same as with HE-400, very muddy sounding. Then I switched back to the oval pads and I have to say it's not as muddy sounding as I first heard.

What do the alpa pads do to the sound? Bass increases with about 5db, it's substantial. Treble sounds a bit smoother, and the 'glaringness' of the sound is either lessened by a decrease of the upper mids or is masked by the boost in bass. 

Pro's: More bass quantity, with about the same quality. Upper mids are tamed a bit.
Cons: A bit less detail in treble. A thicker sound due to the added bass.

I'd say this sound is slightly more enjoyable than with the oval pads because it completely terminates the tinny sound I was complaining about.

Interesting fact, the alpha pads completely lack damping holes. I'd say adding holes could only help the sound. 

Nice impressions buddy. Thanks a lot for sharing. I am not gonna pay 80 euros for these pads though, too bad 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #726 of 1,132
Quote:
I'm sad to report I'm selling the gmp 8.35D. Next to my open headphone, and IEM I don't get to use them much.
I think they are still excellent, and they're even better with my cable mod (solves the slight channel imbalance).

If anyone is interested, just pm me.

Why sad? They served you well and bring you a lot of joy, now is time for someone else to have fun. I hope you'll get a a worthy use for their money.
happy_face1.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #727 of 1,132
Quote:

Why sad? They served you well and bring you a lot of joy, now is time for someone else to have fun. I hope you'll get a a worthy use for their money.
happy_face1.gif

True. They've held me company for a lot of long bus and train rides, and I've enjoyed them immensely at home.

I'm actually planning to audition the stax sr-407s. So any money I get from the gmp will go into that savings pot.

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #728 of 1,132
Quote:
True. They've held me company for a lot of long bus and train rides, and I've enjoyed them immensely at home.

I'm actually planning to audition the stax sr-407s. So any money I get from the gmp will go into that savings pot.

Dude, isn't it too hard to drive? Electrostats are out of my range since I can't afford powerful and correct dap/dac partners for them.

Edit: If you would like to get closed back again, maybe Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs could be an improvement. But I believe you want something for home and you want open back, so skip the edit actually 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #729 of 1,132
Quote:
Dude, isn't it too hard to drive? Electrostats are out of my range since I can't afford powerful and correct dap/dac partners for them.

Edit: If you would like to get closed back again, maybe Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs could be an improvement. But I believe you want something for home and you want open back, so skip the edit actually 
smily_headphones1.gif

Ghehe talk about hard to drive! The mad dogs are really hard to drive. But yeah I don't think I'll ever buy closed headphones again now that I'm so caught up in the IEM world.
The electrostats actually have their own type of amps, it's an entirely different world! Here's a list of all the prices http://www.number4audio.nl/stax_intro.html It's a store in the netherlands so I can actually audition these.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #730 of 1,132
Quote:
Ghehe talk about hard to drive! The mad dogs are really hard to drive. But yeah I don't think I'll ever buy closed headphones again now that I'm so caught up in the IEM world.
The electrostats actually have their own type of amps, it's an entirely different world! Here's a list of all the prices http://www.number4audio.nl/stax_intro.html It's a store in the netherlands so I can actually audition these.

It seems nice, I am quite 'french' to that electrostats world. Might learn a lot from you later on. I mean, really later 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #731 of 1,132
Quote:
I'm sad to report I'm selling the gmp 8.35D. Next to my open headphone, and IEM I don't get to use them much.
I think they are still excellent, and they're even better with my cable mod (solves the slight channel imbalance).

If anyone is interested, just pm me.

You'll be missed 
beerchug.gif
 Thanks for all the input on this thread.

BTW, what did your cable mod discussion ended with? Do you need to leave that little cable along the headband in place or should it be removed?

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #732 of 1,132
Quote:
You'll be missed 
beerchug.gif
 Thanks for all the input on this thread.

BTW, what did your cable mod discussion ended with? Do you need to leave that little cable along the headband in place or should it be removed?

Thanks :) I can still stay and discuss things, and speak from memory.

I just left the cable in the headband, it's not attached to anything though. Are you planning to do the cable mod as well?

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #733 of 1,132
Quote:
Thanks :) I can still stay and discuss things, and speak from memory.

I just left the cable in the headband, it's not attached to anything though. Are you planning to do the cable mod as well?

I am. I already have a straight Brainwavz cable so I might try to integrate some jacks and maybe later order a BTG-Audio Midnight cable with the same plugs.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #735 of 1,132
...which reminds me I've promised you folks some pictures of the HM5 pads. Sorry for the delays. I've been on deadlines and then I forgot. Anyhoo...

Top to bottom: original pads, Beyerdynamic velour pads, the HM5 pads.

Same, left to right. The Beyer pads are somewhat deformed after being tucked away for a while. The left side should be lower, actually. The Brainwavs pads are the deepest of them all when there's no pressure applied.

They're significantly softer than the velour pads though. Go figure. They're still deep enough for my earlobes not to be irritated by the dust filters.

Or maybe the filters (they're sewn-in) are just softer than the GM foam. And yes, they actually aren't round when not on the cans. Still they fit the GMs perfectly.

For the life of me I can't remember where I've put the oval pads, so I made no back-to back listening yet, but so far I like what I hear very much. They're obviously tighter than the velour pads yet pretty much open and non fatiguing. There's a little less isolation than I remember with the oval and especially original pads (they don't leak but you hear the world outside more). And for what it's worth, I think they're not unlike the Alpha pads: I know I'm a slowpoke but just now I've removed the tissue dampening, for there's absolutely no need for it. They're not as bright with these pads as they used to be. So, needless to say, now that the snare drum and other stuff opened up I like them even more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back