The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Apr 28, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #738 of 1,132
Quote:
^ That was my main crutch with the gmp 8.35D and the ovals, snares sound pretty high pitched. There is definitely a upper mid hump with the ovals.
Say, do those hm5 pads have any damping holes?

Why do you care, you are going to sell it anyway 
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #739 of 1,132
Quote:
Dude, it was just awesome. All your impressions and different ways to get the best out of them. Also I think you did some kind of headband mod too?

I did. Nothing fancy. Some thick foam, a piece of cloth and a bit of sugru. Just what I had at hand at the moment. It came out pretty comfy but I did a very messy job with sugru so now I'm waiting when the leather I've ordered arrives to try a slightly different idea.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #743 of 1,132
Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to asked you: what are  damping holes? Anyway, I don't see any holes.

Little holes in the bottom of the pads. You can see them in the oval pads.

These holes are meant to absorb some of the stronger soundwaves that might want to echo in the pad, or cause other disturbances in the sound. Basically adding damping holes increases the clarity of the sound. Adding too much damping in a pad can cause a fairly tizzy and bright sound. This is why velours are generally brighter sounding, because they have a lot of damping.

This is why I contemplated to cut damping holes in the alpha pads, but then Tiemen saved the pads by buying them from me.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #744 of 1,132
Quote:
Little holes in the bottom of the pads. You can see them in the oval pads.

These holes are meant to absorb some of the stronger soundwaves that might want to echo in the pad, or cause other disturbances in the sound. Basically adding damping holes increases the clarity of the sound. Adding too much damping in a pad can cause a fairly tizzy and bright sound. This is why velours are generally brighter sounding, because they have a lot of damping.

This is why I contemplated to cut damping holes in the alpha pads, but then Tiemen saved the pads by buying them from me.

Oh, right. No, there's no damping holes in the HM5 pads, there's leather all round.
Anyway, the leather is very soft, so maybe it's spongier than pleather and dampens the sound somewhat more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back