The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #676 of 1,132
Quote:
Better late than never right? Here are the GMPs with the J$ pads. 
Apart from a slight treble peak and a slight decrease in bass punch the sound improves in every way.

I actually don't use the J$s on the GMPs, but that's because I like them even better on the hifiman HE-400s.
The biggest difference in sound is the timbre, it's more open, there is no tinny sound at all, and overal clarity and seperation is better.

Wit the J$s the sound quality comes pretty close to something like the t50rp maddogs, especially when properly equalized.

As you can see they are big, I actually felt a bit ridiculous when I wore these outside...

Since I'll use these pads on the HE-400, I'm looking for something else. The alpha pads might do the trick.

The J$s pads looks great, but slight treble peak and decrease in bass punch pushed me away, also is possible you're getting better clarity and separation because there is more ear space inside the pads?

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #677 of 1,132
Marleybob, thank you for your impressions with these earpads.
How much did you pay for those J$ pads?
And what is the material covering the inner, ear chamber, part of those pads?
Is it still leather or some kind of suede, or velour coating?

I'm also looking for alternative earpads for my GMPs and I'm starting to look at these different designs, you guys impressions of these earpads even on different headphones than mine are very valuable.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #678 of 1,132
Quote:

The J$s pads looks great, but slight treble peak and decrease in bass punch pushed me away, also is possible you're getting better clarity and separation because there is more ear space inside the pads?

Probably so, yes.
The stock oval earpads impart a closed in sound because they have a small openning and put the ears very near the drivers.
I think a wider and deeper earpad will naturally provide a less compressed acoustical performance.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #679 of 1,132
Quote:

Well the bass is much better defined, and the treble peak can be easily solved, by cutting only 2db from the 10khz region with an eq.
It's like picking earbuds over the HE-400 because the HE-400 has too much treble. Ok that might be a bit extreme, but it is certainly worth the pay off.

And yes, it has everything thing to do with the extra space. A bit less space might be even better. When I wear them for a while, and the J$s are a bit compressed, or when I manually compress them and the space between the drivers and my ears get smaller, the bass gets punchier, and the treble peak is gone.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #681 of 1,132
Quote:
Marleybob, thank you for your impressions with these earpads.
How much did you pay for those J$ pads?
And what is the material covering the inner, ear chamber, part of those pads?
Is it still leather or some kind of suede, or velour coating?

I'm also looking for alternative earpads for my GMPs and I'm starting to look at these different designs, you guys impressions of these earpads even on different headphones than mine are very valuable.

No problem! Sorry it took so long.

I paid about 40 usd, but I also had to pay shipping fees and import taxes, which totals at about 100 usd believe it or not. 
But the J$s aren't being sold anymore, I got the last batch for 50% off. I think any deep leather pads will do. If you're from the US you might want to look into the brainwavz hm5 pads. I'll get a chance to review the alpha pads from maddog, I think they will work nicely too.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #682 of 1,132

As you can see they are big, I actually felt a bit ridiculous when I wore these outside...

Man I never feel bad about how big my headphones or earpads. People around me (unfortunately) usually use Beats craps they look like a homo at least I have a real headphone not some fashion product. Proud of my gear honestly.

About the source. Well at this point I am quite confused. C4 amazes me. Even there is no hold button, I would still go for it. But yes the price creates problems at least at this moment. I was looking into another source which is German, Tera Player but that's even more expensive than C4.

About the 6.3mm jack entrance, I guess you are right but on the other hand I feel like I should give it a try. Maybe laaaater on when I finish my master and all. In the meantime I should manage with a reasonably portable and affordable rig.

I also liked the Rocoo V Anniv. Edition. Wonderful battery life, tank like build quality. What people list as cons are actually things I don't care so it can be really wonderful too.

Apart from Rocoo, I liked Colorfly's other product, C3 maybe I should go for it.

I don't like using portable amp, don't have that much space in my jeans pockets and I don't like living inside of a cable mess. So 1 for all solution is more likely for me.

Btw, this one is for Acix, what is your portable gear mate?

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #683 of 1,132
Quote:
Man I never feel bad about how big my headphones or earpads. People around me (unfortunately) usually use Beats craps they look like a homo at least I have a real headphone not some fashion product. Proud of my gear honestly.

About the source. Well at this point I am quite confused. C4 amazes me. Even there is no hold button, I would still go for it. But yes the price creates problems at least at this moment. I was looking into another source which is German, Tera Player but that's even more expensive than C4.

About the 6.3mm jack entrance, I guess you are right but on the other hand I feel like I should give it a try. Maybe laaaater on when I finish my master and all. In the meantime I should manage with a reasonably portable and affordable rig.

I also liked the Rocoo V Anniv. Edition. Wonderful battery life, tank like build quality. What people list as cons are actually things I don't care so it can be really wonderful too.

Apart from Rocoo, I liked Colorfly's other product, C3 maybe I should go for it.

I don't like using portable amp, don't have that much space in my jeans pockets and I don't like living inside of a cable mess. So 1 for all solution is more likely for me.

This is the sansa clip zip + E6, it's smaller than any dap I've ever owned. And it's all bundled in a nice sturdy package!
The hisoundaudio audio players don't really appeal to me anymore. I just need a bit of a bass boost when I'm in a noisy train/bus. Otherwise I won't hear any bass at all.
You could also try the new nova player by hisoundaudio, it does allow equalizing. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #684 of 1,132
Quote:

This is the sansa clip zip + E6, it's smaller than any dap I've ever owned. And it's all bundled in a nice sturdy package!
The hisoundaudio audio players don't really appeal to me anymore. I just need a bit of a bass boost when I'm in a noisy train/bus. Otherwise I won't hear any bass at all.
You could also try the new nova player by hisoundaudio, it does allow equalizing. 

I am really not a fund of equalizing I prefer flat settings always. Don't like changing the sounds characteristic. Btw, maybe clip+e6 can work too after seeing your setup. How thick it is, do you think it can enter into jeans pockets?

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #685 of 1,132
Quote:

Most of the time when the 8.35 leave the house is when I bring them to my DJ gigs. If I'm watching a movies, or just listening to music on my Sony Vaio laptop the volume dial will be at 50-80%, on my iphone I'll go a bit louder. 

The longest time I had them on my head was on the transatlantic flight from San Francisco to London, the 8.35 just saved my day on this flight, and I even was able to get some sleep. The flight was full and my seat was close to the jet engines.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #686 of 1,132
Thx Acix but I have an allergic to fruit brand products, no offence but I don't like iDevice's and Apple's attitude in the market.

I found a Colorfly C3 for 130 EUR, I think that's the cheapest one I could find and it is in EU so I don't have to pay huge amount of shipping. Colorfly is making audiophile grade players, C4 is out of my bugdet for the moment but C3 I can afford and save a few years until I have more money 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I really think it will be great with my GMP 8.35D.

Marleybob, maybe you should check it out too, with this price it seems a very nice deal. Also I read very nice reviews about them. If you are interested just PM me.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #687 of 1,132
Quote:
I am really not a fund of equalizing I prefer flat settings always. Don't like changing the sounds characteristic. Btw, maybe clip+e6 can work too after seeing your setup. How thick it is, do you think it can enter into jeans pockets?

Fits easily, I usually just clip it on the pocket, that way I can easily change songs etc :) 
32 gigs, sansa clip player, and an amp, for about 110 euros... Doesn't get much cheaper than that

The E6 really improves the sound compared to the internal amp of the sansa clip. The sound instantly becomes clearer, and just carries this extra oomph (PRAT I guess).

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #688 of 1,132
Quote:
Thx Acix but I have an allergic to fruit brand products, no offence but I don't like iDevice's and Apple's attitude in the market.

I found a Colorfly C3 for 130 EUR, I think that's the cheapest one I could find and it is in EU so I don't have to pay huge amount of shipping. Colorfly is making audiophile grade players, C4 is out of my bugdet for the moment but C3 I can afford and save a few years until I have more money 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I really think it will be great with my GMP 8.35D.

Marleybob, maybe you should check it out too, with this price it seems a very nice deal. Also I read very nice reviews about them. If you are interested just PM me.

That's not expensive at all, lol. But I'm out the dap market, so stop tempting me! STOP IT 

aaaaand now I want one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back