The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Dec 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #317 of 1,132
Feb 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #318 of 1,132
I'm usually more of a reader than a writer, but circumstances force me to ask for some advice.

I used to own a beyer dt150, mainly using it at work (theatre/jazz/modern-composed) driving it off the mixer, and while riding bicycle to/from work off a box'd fuze. And occasionally @home directly off the phone-out. Was actually thinking about/ saving for a decent portable amp to get some xtra oomph to overwhelm the windnoise that started to bug me on the bike-rides, especially with some more subtle music. But then this annoying drunken boat-joyriding trip cost me just about everything i had on me save my wallet. I'm hoping to get the boss to buy a new pair of dt150 for the workplace, since the HP provided there doesn't really deserve that title. However, i don't think he'll be too keen to let me use it privately as well... So i will still need something for myself. My budget doesn't allow me to go for an amp and a can and since an amp on it's own won't really give me too much listening pleasure i will need a can that'll go decently off the new (not plus!) fuze i've ordered yesterday (super cheapo delivery, 10 days, whoohoo). I loved every aspect of the dt150, including the butt-ugliness. So where looks go the gmp8.35 is definitely in the same league but, finally, my question is: is it also in the same league sound-wise?

greetings, somebody who'll never drink again. starting tomorrow, i promise

edit: listen to all kinds of genres. random pick from foobar playlist: le peuple de l'herbe, van morrison, propellerheads, janis joplin, eazy e, archive, fsol, sigur ros, neil young.....

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #319 of 1,132
turns out it was a fuze plus... grrr

now i'll definitely need something a bit easier to push (rockbox added about 12dB to the signal of the v2) so i think i'll just go on ahead and give the germans some of my money. still wondering though; the replacement earpads look big enough to go around my ears but shouldn't i go hardcore and opt for a set of beyer 770/990 gelpads (clear ones of course, the black ones look way too good)? 

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #320 of 1,132
Thinking of trying out a pair of these or the Beyer Dynamic DT-48 E 25 ohm. Has anyone compared the two? Which did you prefer?
The GMP looks a bit more comfortable and it's cheaper. I want whatever one has the clearest and most balanced sound. A very good soundstage for a closed headphone would be a nice bonus. My main priority though is how good the mids are. Do any of them have mids similar to the Sextett, but with an even clearer sound? I like the mids on the Sextett, but I'm looking for an upgrade.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #322 of 1,132
Acix, thank you for singing this headphone's praises for all these years, in the face of what amounts to widespread indifference. I never would have bought them if it weren't for you (it took me a couple of years to get around to it as it is). They are fantastic -- so balanced, detailed, well-built, light and comfortable. Also, very nice soundstage and imaging for a closed headphone. I have quite a few closed "studio" headphones (in quotes because I am not an engineer), and right now these are sounding like the very best. I am convinced that they would be in ATH-M50 territory as far as popularity if they were prettier, and collapsible.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #323 of 1,132

Quote:
Acix, thank you for singing this headphone's praises for all these years, in the face of what amounts to widespread indifference. I never would have bought them if it weren't for you (it took me a couple of years to get around to it as it is). They are fantastic -- so balanced, detailed, well-built, light and comfortable. Also, very nice soundstage and imaging for a closed headphone. I have quite a few closed "studio" headphones (in quotes because I am not an engineer), and right now these are sounding like the very best. I am convinced that they would be in ATH-M50 territory as far as popularity if they were prettier, and collapsible.

You're very welcome... I'm glad you like them, and since you have such a nice collection of studio hps I was wondering if you want to make a studio/DJ hps comparison ?

I'm almost 3 years with GMP 8.35, and they serve me so well that I even not thinking of bringing in a new closed studio hps. I can definitely say...that I'm fully satisfied with the 8.35.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #324 of 1,132

Quote:
Thinking of trying out a pair of these or the Beyer Dynamic DT-48 E 25 ohm. Has anyone compared the two? Which did you prefer?
The GMP looks a bit more comfortable and it's cheaper. I want whatever one has the clearest and most balanced sound. A very good soundstage for a closed headphone would be a nice bonus. My main priority though is how good the mids are. Do any of them have mids similar to the Sextett, but with an even clearer sound? I like the mids on the Sextett, but I'm looking for an upgrade.

With all your close hps collection, I think you should definitely try them out.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #325 of 1,132

Since you've already got some AKG's in your collection you might like something very different....the dt48. In my experience they have the best, clearest, most natural mids i've heard....but they are very different from the AKG mids. I find them pretty uncomfortable and somewhat rolled off in the bass on my set up. Seems like you either love 'em or hate 'em....not many folks are in the middle.
Quote:

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #326 of 1,132
Quote:
You're very welcome... I'm glad you like them, and since you have such a nice collection of studio hps I was wondering if you want to make a studio/DJ hps comparison ?

I'm almost 3 years with GMP 8.35, and they serve me so well that I even not thinking of bringing in a new closed studio hps. I can definitely say...that I'm fully satisfied with the 8.35.

I ought to do a studio/DJ headphone comparison, but I think you've pretty much nailed it with the K 702/8.35 D, at least from what I've heard and for home-listening purposes. For DJ headphones, I would just add the DJ1 PRO, again for the home listener.  A A

The fact that you've listened to the 8.35 D for so many years is such a testament to their quality. Not many headphones can keep a user happy for so long. They seem to do everything exceptionally well, and I can't wait to put them on at night. Hard to pinpoint precisely why, but I do.

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #327 of 1,132

Quote:
Quote:

I ought to do a studio/DJ headphone comparison, but I think you've pretty much nailed it with the K 702/8.35 D, at least from what I've heard and for home-listening purposes. For DJ headphones, I would just add the DJ1 PRO, again for the home listener.  A A

The fact that you've listened to the 8.35 D for so many years is such a testament to their quality. Not many headphones can keep a user happy for so long. They seem to do everything exceptionally well, and I can't wait to put them on at night. Hard to pinpoint precisely why, but I do.

You're right, not many headphones can keep a user happy for so long especially someone like me that use them everyday and I can easy can spot flaws in other hps. BTW, have you try the mod that I did with the oval pads?

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #328 of 1,132
Quote:
You're right, not many headphones can keep a user happy for so long especially someone like me that use them everyday and I can easy can spot flaws in other hps. BTW, have you try the mod that I did with the oval pads?

No! I forgot all about that I read it such a long time ago. I am going to do that right away though. If there is one thing I would say that is the slightest bit negative, it is that the bass is the tiniest bit loose, so I'm all over the oval pads if they counteract that. I guess I have to order them from Germany though? Thanks!

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #329 of 1,132

Quote:
Quote:

No! I forgot all about that I read it such a long time ago. I am going to do that right away though. If there is one thing I would say that is the slightest bit negative, it is that the bass is the tiniest bit loose, so I'm all over the oval pads if they counteract that. I guess I have to order them from Germany though? Thanks!

Yes... the mod is quite dramatic and fix the "tiniest bit loose" issue.
happy_face1.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #330 of 1,132
Hi,
the 8.300D are 30 € cheaper than the 8.35D. Would you recommend them, too? I'm using a modded Indeed/Bravo like amp at the moment, so power shouldn't be a problem.
On my Sennheisers I prefer the velour pads for comfort and I've seen German Maestro offers 2 velour pad options: One has "Special: Flipside perforated Soft Foil". What's the differende here and which one should I get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back