The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #286 of 1,132
Djo77, sorry to hear that lol. Hope you still can recall what's in your mind and share with us. But from what you posted earlier, seem like you really love it!

P.S: Normally when i am preparing a review, i wrote it on separate word processor for easier read proofing and editing before posting it.

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #287 of 1,132

Here you go.

Comparinson.

HD 25 1-11 vs. German Maestro’s  8.35 GMP

Portability and comfort and sturdyness.
HD 25.
The HD 25’s are very lightweight and they feel good around the neck. These headphones you can throw on the ground (or well if it falls or something) or in your bag with no problem, it doesn’t seem like they would break fast. For comfort, they don’t bother me at all and long listening sesions didn’t make the headphones uncomfortable.
The Maestro 8.35GMP.
For portability the 8.35 aren’t as great as the Sennheisers. When around the neck they don’t bother me but I could guess it bothers some people that they are against your neck a little when you wear them. And obviously they are heavier then the HD 25’s. Also the Maestro’s have a pretty huge cable with a : (I don’t know how to call it, when your cable is too short it extends and it goes curling up when the pressure is released, help me out here).   I have no problem with the weight but for portability the HD 25’s would win. For comfort the Maestro is definitely better. The leather goes all around your ear and it feels a little spacy inside. The leather pad is pretty soft and it feels nice to your head.
SQ
The HD’s are quite balanced phones, and it produces good sound for it size. However the Maestro’s are superior on sound quality, I’ll explain why. The soundstage is larger obviously. Also with the HD25’s I had trouble hearing vocals from time to time, the Maestro’s bring the vocals forward a lot more. They both sound quite balanced and while I see this as a good thing, sometimes I really miss some quantity in the bass. Especially with music with lot’s off bass, like chillout or drumm and bass.
But o well it are balanced phones and that is what you choose for. Another plus point for the Maestro is that it has a lot more detail. Having said this, please bear in mind I hadn’t done a cable upgrade . Don’t get me wrong the Sennheisers definitely sound good, but the Maestro’s just sound better.
Isolation.
They both offer excellent isolation! The Maestro’s are a bit better then the Sennheisers though, but the sennheisers isolate pretty good too J

Sidenote.
O and if you decide to go for the Sennheisers, I would suggest buying the - C edition, that one has a copper cable.
I had to ask for DHL information by e-mail at Maestro’s...

I hope it's clear. I hope you don't bother my grammar 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #288 of 1,132
Djo77, thanks for the comparison. It's safe to say the age of HD25's driver start to show their limitation. But 1 thing i cant get over with the 8.35D is the utilitarian design, at least for me personally.

P.S: Your message delivered across and that's what important. Your grammar is ok, mate
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #289 of 1,132

Quote:

Here you go.

Comparinson.

HD 25 1-11 vs. German Maestro’s  8.35 GMP

Portability and comfort and sturdyness.
HD 25.
The HD 25’s are very lightweight and they feel good around the neck. These headphones you can throw on the ground (or well if it falls or something) or in your bag with no problem, it doesn’t seem like they would break fast. For comfort, they don’t bother me at all and long listening sesions didn’t make the headphones uncomfortable.
The Maestro 8.35GMP.
For portability the 8.35 aren’t as great as the Sennheisers. When around the neck they don’t bother me but I could guess it bothers some people that they are against your neck a little when you wear them. And obviously they are heavier then the HD 25’s. Also the Maestro’s have a pretty huge cable with a : (I don’t know how to call it, when your cable is too short it extends and it goes curling up when the pressure is released, help me out here).   I have no problem with the weight but for portability the HD 25’s would win. For comfort the Maestro is definitely better. The leather goes all around your ear and it feels a little spacy inside. The leather pad is pretty soft and it feels nice to your head.
SQ
The HD’s are quite balanced phones, and it produces good sound for it size. However the Maestro’s are superior on sound quality, I’ll explain why. The soundstage is larger obviously. Also with the HD25’s I had trouble hearing vocals from time to time, the Maestro’s bring the vocals forward a lot more. They both sound quite balanced and while I see this as a good thing, sometimes I really miss some quantity in the bass. Especially with music with lot’s off bass, like chillout or drumm and bass.
But o well it are balanced phones and that is what you choose for. Another plus point for the Maestro is that it has a lot more detail. Having said this, please bear in mind I hadn’t done a cable upgrade . Don’t get me wrong the Sennheisers definitely sound good, but the Maestro’s just sound better.
Isolation.
They both offer excellent isolation! The Maestro’s are a bit better then the Sennheisers though, but the sennheisers isolate pretty good too J

Sidenote.
O and if you decide to go for the Sennheisers, I would suggest buying the - C edition, that one has a copper cable.
I had to ask for DHL information by e-mail at Maestro’s...

I hope it's clear. I hope you don't bother my grammar 
rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much !!

I was actually trying to decide between the two. Your review draws me more to the German

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #290 of 1,132

Quote:
Djo77, thanks for the comparison. It's safe to say the age of HD25's driver start to show their limitation. But 1 thing i cant get over with the 8.35D is the utilitarian design, at least for me personally.

P.S: Your message delivered across and that's what important. Your grammar is ok, mate
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem, I'm glad the message is clear
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, I don't really think there is a problem with the 'age' of the drivers. It's just that bassicaly the Maestro is a lot bigger then the HD 25, so they could make it sound a bit better if you get what I mean. I would understand that a lot of people looking for isolation and don't want such a big headphone would rather go for the HD 25. If you don't care that much for the size if you could get better SQ I would suggest going for the Maestro.

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #291 of 1,132
O and one thing I would like to add. The Maestro's are definitely more for critical listening. The HD 25's are a bit more laid back. If you have lot's of low quality recording's. You could except to hear that on the Maestro's, it's also that because it shows that much detail, it requires more attention while listening. So it's harder to make homework and listen to Menomena at the same time for example.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #292 of 1,132
Djo77, good job on the comparison... is exactly who I feel about both hps I'm agree on the isolation issue and the sound with the crazy detail ( I just love it ). The HD-25 are on the ea hps, and the 8.35 are over the ear (I prefer over the ear, just more comfy for my big head) and of course the driver is bigger, they are both sounds natural in a way but I find the 8.35 more balanced compare to the laid back of the HD-25's.

Amp will bring more definition to the bass and all over the sound spectrum as well... eventually will sounds more detail : ) you can try the Meier headfive used on the FS forum around $180 maybe in Europe you can get it cheaper. 

BTW, the cable called coiled.

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #294 of 1,132
Btw, I am saving up for a pair of ultrasone's at the moment, I am curious for their sound as well
biggrin.gif
I definetily need another headphone for bass music, cause this also was a sticking point at the hd25's.

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #295 of 1,132

Quote:
Btw, I am saving up for a pair of ultrasone's at the moment, I am curious for their sound as well
biggrin.gif
I definetily need another headphone for bass music, cause this also was a sticking point at the hd25's.

Yes,I like the Ultrasones as heavy bass hps, but after few years with a few Ultrasones model I wanted something more natural for my music productions. Also the 8.35 isolation make them great for my Dj gigs.

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #296 of 1,132
I definetly see why you use 8.35 for audio monitoring. I wanted to step in on making dubstepp, and then exploring all the other electronic audio sorts. However I haven't put enough effort in it yet. I still have to learn how to use fruityloops...

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #297 of 1,132

Quote:
I definetly see why you use 8.35 for audio monitoring. I wanted to step in on making dubstepp, and then exploring all the other electronic audio sorts. However I haven't put enough effort in it yet. I still have to learn how to use fruityloops...

This why the 8.35 is great for your monitoring...I hope you'll have great time with the fruityloops, Ableton live is also a good option for you.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #298 of 1,132
Has anyone compared the GMP 8.35 D to the GMP 8.300 D yet?
Just curious
smile.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #300 of 1,132
In the absence of a general German Maestro thread, I thought this was the best one to point out current E-Bay listings for the MB Quart QP805HS ($89.99 shipped) and the MB Quart QP400 ($109.99 shipped.)  I bought a QP805HS in June and ordered the QP400 today.  I have no connection to the firm, but thought this might be of interest to those searching for a quasi Holiday Deal.  I also received a pair of the 6050 oval pads from Germany today, but haven't had time to try them out yet.  About 2 months back, Amazon had the GMP 8.35 for $136.00, so it may be worthwhile to periodically check for another sale. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back