The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Nov 27, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #301 of 1,132

Quote:
In the absence of a general German Maestro thread, I thought this was the best one to point out current E-Bay listings for the MB Quart QP805HS ($89.99 shipped) and the MB Quart QP400 ($109.99 shipped.)  I bought a QP805HS in June and ordered the QP400 today.  I have no connection to the firm, but thought this might be of interest to those searching for a quasi Holiday Deal.  I also received a pair of the 6050 oval pads from Germany today, but haven't had time to try them out yet.  About 2 months back, Amazon had the GMP 8.35 for $136.00, so it may be worthwhile to periodically check for another sale. 

Thanks for the info.
Is it true that the QP805 HS is equivalent to the 8.300D, as they seem to look a bit different from the photo...
MB Quart is still in production and those are not fake ?

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #303 of 1,132
Late-model versions of the QP 805 HS are 300 ohm per channel and shipped with Tyvek-like soft leatherette earpads. It is similar if not identical to the GMP 8.300 D. There seem to be enough New Old Stock of it still available to meet demand, priced mostly in the $90 range.

When it was first announced, QP 805 HS was advertised as being 140 ohm per channel, although I don't know how long that version lasted, or if any were made like that at all. I've only seen 300 ohm versions for sale, used or NOS. I have a (loaner) pair at hand that I'm currently comparing to the Shure SRH 840. Not sure what to do with the writeup yet but I have concluded that I'd like to have my own pair. (A modded pair of DTI 705s is on the way and they might be good enough.)

As for the QP 400, it is equivalent to the current GMP 400. (It appears to originally have been an upgrade of the QP 95X, which I have and which is an excellent set of cans. So while I haven't heard the QP 400 I would hope it's even nicer.) In the U.S. the GMP 400 is $320 through Amazon; $110 for its immediate predecessor is not a bad deal at all.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #304 of 1,132
A quick summary of what I learned: The QP 805 HS can be driven quite easily by a MacBookPro's inboard headphone amp. The soundstage isn't large, but isn't collapsed either, and bass has decent but not great power. The laptop could power these easily and pleasantly. With a dedicated amp (in my case, the Elekit TU-882AS, a tubed desktop amp), the soundstage opens up and becomes more distinct, bass picks up strength and the highs gain a little clarity, but overall the difference was subtle.

The Shures made a great deal more of the difference between sources; they sounded spacious and highly controlled on the Elekit while on the MacBookPro the bass lost power, the highest frequencies could risk shrillness, and the soundstage was flattened to a simple left/center/right straight line.

Keep in mind the Shure SRH 840 is rated at 44 Ohm per channel, the QP 805 HS is rated at 300 Ohm per channel; impedance isn't everything. The 805 HS may be a better candidate of the two if you have a laptop or portable player without a dedicated amp. You may not be able to play them at headbashing volume, but their superior isolation means you won't have to in order to hear details.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #305 of 1,132
I have the GMP 8.300 D, and agree with everything ardgedee wrote about the QP 805 HS, 300 ohm.
Due to their high sensitivity, they are very easy to drive.

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #306 of 1,132
Hey Acix, 

Which portable amp would you reconmend for around 100 euro's. It needs a bass boost option though, I would like the bass to be more but not bloathed, keeping it round and tight. Especially in combination with the 8.35 GMP?
And yes, I haven't got around buying your album just yet, I'm kinda in money need, but I need to compliment you on the bass with one of your trakcs forgot it's name though.

Thanks alot : )

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #307 of 1,132

Quote:
Hey Acix, 

Which portable amp would you reconmend for around 100 euro's. It needs a bass boost option though, I would like the bass to be more but not bloathed, keeping it round and tight. Especially in combination with the 8.35 GMP?
And yes, I haven't got around buying your album just yet, I'm kinda in money need, but I need to compliment you on the bass with one of your trakcs forgot it's name though.

Thanks alot : )

You'll need to do a research and to check out some portable amp reviews, let us know your findings...

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #308 of 1,132
One quick observation, after using the DBI Pro-705 for a week: It doesn't seem to insulate the outside world as well as the QP 805 HS does.

The earpads are different on the DBIs - they're very firm vinyl rings rather than the 805's (and 8.35's) pleather - but even after I swapped them out for a spare pair of earpads from the Shure SRH-840 (which are pleather, even softer than the 8.35's), they still suffer a little in isolation. I'm curious now whether there's anything different internally besides the drivers.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #309 of 1,132
i have had the quarts and the dbis taken apart. the drivers are different, but everthing else is the same. i've had quarts and dbis with various earpads, some of which were the same. i'm pretty sure that dbi just takes a quart and puts in its own drivers (of which i'm pretty sure are made by koss due to size and appearence)

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #310 of 1,132

Quote:
i have had the quarts and the dbis taken apart. the drivers are different, but everthing else is the same. i've had quarts and dbis with various earpads, some of which were the same. i'm pretty sure that dbi just takes a quart and puts in its own drivers (of which i'm pretty sure are made by koss due to size and appearence)

Very interesting findings, maybe the Koss driver are cheaper. To make a bigger sound stage, you can try to put a foam ring under the Denon pads looks like the 700 can be mod very easy.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #311 of 1,132
Quote:
i have had the quarts and the dbis taken apart. the drivers are different, but everthing else is the same.

Interesting. I had half-expected that the housings on the Quarts were lined, or stuffed with cotton, or something.

I'll probably get a set of GM earpads - I've got a few different non-HS MB Quart models and find those pads more comfortable than the DBI's anyway.

Which do you figure have the best sound insulation?

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #312 of 1,132
Acix,

I never got to try the 8.35D when the loan program was running. No one ever contacted me about them at all. Do you have a pair for me to try?

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #313 of 1,132

Quote:
Acix,

I never got to try the 8.35D when the loan program was running. No one ever contacted me about them at all. Do you have a pair for me to try?

The GMP 435 S was on the U.S loan program, and not the 8.35. Maybe now you can check them out at Fry's in your area: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527777/maestro-8-35d-fry-s-now-available-in-us-for-the-first-time

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #314 of 1,132
Ah so they weren't on the program. Thought they were but oh well.

I will have to see if any of those stores are around here.

Quote:
The GMP 435 S was on the U.S loan program, and not the 8.35. Maybe now you can check them out at Fry's in your area: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527777/maestro-8-35d-fry-s-now-available-in-us-for-the-first-time

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #315 of 1,132

My New Toys For Ears... The German Maestro GMP 8.40 D.    Brand New in Mint Condition.. Theres no logo on cups, because they supposed to be in a Media Store  Working in a CD listening Station...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back