The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Dec 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #346 of 1,132

Quote:
I guess the black gel pads fit to the look of the GM headphones 
cool.gif

Yes, I still have the 8.300D. It has the ear pads 41-6015 (Stretch Foam Foil with leather character black), not the oval ones. But I don't want to exchange them. I'm not sure if it makes them look more used after peeling them off two times.

It's plastic elastic, two times will be just fine.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #347 of 1,132
I've found the album these phones were made for: Rammstein - Herzeleid
Everything sounds perfect: the electric guitars are sawing, the bass is dark and deep, the drums kick ass, the vocals are clear and the synthesizer is spacey :) I don't think this album can sound any better 
atsmile.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #348 of 1,132

Quote:
I've found the album these phones were made for: Rammstein - Herzeleid
Everything sounds perfect: the electric guitars are sawing, the bass is dark and deep, the drums kick ass, the vocals are clear and the synthesizer is spacey :) I don't think this album can sound any better 
atsmile.gif

Very interesting the Rammstein - Herzeleid, at first remind me Laibach with Revolting Cocks...but they have a lot to offer, great video clips too.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #349 of 1,132

Quote:
Yes... the mod is quite dramatic and fix the "tiniest bit loose" issue.
happy_face1.gif

Having read the whole thread, I think I'll now have to order them. I'm really satisfied with my KNS8400, except that they don't isolate really well. I listen to music through headphones only while commuting, and I'm liking the idea that these isolate well, are comfortable but still have a firm grip. Tunefulness is key. There is no music if I can't hear the notes playing their designated pitch. This is what I liked about the K272 and even more so the KNS8400: They're musical! 
normal_smile .gif
 I don't listen to electronic music much, except for the occasional Uwe Schmidt record that comes out. How would the people here comment on their ability to sustain smoothness, linearity and clarity on complex jazz with modal melodic structures? 

Also about to get the 41-6050 pads with these. Material is the same, but do these give better isolation and grip compared to the 6059? These questions are mainly targeted at Acix, but I'm hoping as many as possible chime in 
normal_smile .gif
 Thanks!

Also, the comment on the 8.300D's being better balanced, not to say 30eur cheaper, has me thinking. I'm sure my Voyager would give them enough juice, if they really have high sensitivity next to the 300ohm impedance. So maybe the 300's with the oval 6050's after all? 

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #350 of 1,132
The original pads that come with the 8.35 are the 41-6086 http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Products/%22Ohrpolster%2041-6086%22
For commuting both isolate the same I had no problem with the oval pads on the flight from San Francisco to London.
happy_face1.gif
If you have concerned about the GMP 8.35 maybe you can try them out before you buy.

In my experience with the oval pads I don't think you'll have any problems with their ability to sustain smoothness, linearity and clarity on complex jazz with modal melodic structures. Maybe Weissglut will have more info to add...

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #351 of 1,132
Thanks for your reply.

I know the ones that come with them are the 86's. Just wondered which ones from the two extra pads I'd prefer... Same material, but different shape. I guess my head is more to the smallish side as well as my ears, so maybe the 6050. 

Compared to your 701 or a K272, which I think are excellent cans as well, how would the 8.35's fare in terms of treble smoothness? Not any peaks or anomalies nor would they be even brighter with the oval pads?

The problem is, that I don't think that anyone has the 8.35's or 8.300's in Finland. I'd most likely take the other and if I didn't like them they'd most certainly find a happier owner some place else. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #352 of 1,132

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I know the ones that come with them are the 86's. Just wondered which ones from the two extra pads I'd prefer... Same material, but different shape. I guess my head is more to the smallish side as well as my ears, so maybe the 6050. 

Compared to your 701 or a K272, which I think are excellent cans as well, how would the 8.35's fare in terms of treble smoothness? Not any peaks or anomalies nor would they be even brighter with the oval pads?

The problem is, that I don't think that anyone has the 8.35's or 8.300's in Finland. I'd most likely take the other and if I didn't like them they'd most certainly find a happier owner some place else. 

The 8.35 with the oval pads sounds just bit brighter compare to the 271 MKll, and with the original pads 6086 are about the same as the 271's.
The 271MKll missing a bit of the sub bass and some treble extension above 13-14.000Hz with the their original pads compare to the 8.35.

I have the K702, with Mogami cable, and the 8.35 is closer compare to the 271, in terms of treble smoothness.

If you like the 271, you'll find the 8.35 very attractive with both pads. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #353 of 1,132
People comment on the bass as very truthful and articulate, but at the same time a bit sluggish. How would you say its performance is when it comes to pitch articulation? Would they be ideal for a musician to tab bass-notes? You seemed to mention that the bass is "better" than on 701 even. I'd say the 701's pitch articulation with bass notes is very good, also with the 272's. Are the 8.35's even better at playing bass notes to the pitch, in other words, are tuneful? 

Brightness is something I can get used to, if it's somewhat linear. Nasty peaks get the better of me however :)

Thanks again for your input!

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #354 of 1,132

Quote:
People comment on the bass as very truthful and articulate, but at the same time a bit sluggish. How would you say its performance is when it comes to pitch articulation? Would they be ideal for a musician to tab bass-notes? You seemed to mention that the bass is "better" than on 701 even. I'd say the 701's pitch articulation with bass notes is very good, also with the 272's. Are the 8.35's even better at playing bass notes to the pitch, in other words, are tuneful? 

Brightness is something I can get used to, if it's somewhat linear. Nasty peaks get the better of me however :)

Thanks again for your input!

For bass players the 8.35 with both pads options is one of the most tuneful hps that I had experience with. The driver is very clear and powerful sounding  @ 35 ohm. The K-702 bass is different, but some times in the studio I do prefer to star working on the bass with the 8.35. The sound concept of the 8.35 with the oval pads is flat and in a way linear, the K -702 sound appear to be more dynamic because of the air flow of a open can.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #355 of 1,132
Heh, guess I need to order them then :) 

Will put them against the K272, which I'm enjoying at the moment, and the KNS8400. Thanks for the answers. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #356 of 1,132
Gosh darn eet. It's done. Any experience with their EU shipping times?

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #358 of 1,132
There is none. I ordered straight from their site. We'll see. It's not much of a monetary loss and I'm sure I'll be able to sell them to someone who appreciates ruggedness over absolute audio. Let's hope they're what I hope though. Would love a headphone with KNS8400 like presentation plus great isolation and durability. We'll see :)

Let's hope it ships fast. Reckon it would take more than a week to arrive within EU?

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #359 of 1,132

Quote:
There is none. I ordered straight from their site. We'll see. It's not much of a monetary loss and I'm sure I'll be able to sell them to someone who appreciates ruggedness over absolute audio. Let's hope they're what I hope though. Would love a headphone with KNS8400 like presentation plus great isolation and durability. We'll see :)

Let's hope it ships fast. Reckon it would take more than a week to arrive within EU?

Back then I was living in SF, and I've got my 8.35 in about 2 weeks plus. I can guess in EU this will be more faster without paying the next day shipping. Will be very cool if you can compare them with the 271/8400, and I hope you're going to get the oval pads as well.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #360 of 1,132
Yes, I ordered the 6050 ovals as well. Both were in stock I believe. 

Will be interesting! If they're somewhere in between the two models in my what I perceive as quality reproduction, with better isolation than the HD25's, I'd already be happy. If they'll be even better than the 8400, which I doubt is wholly possible, I'll order the 8.300's and start having fun with the pads :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back