The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jul 11, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #2,941 of 3,960
I've worn universals for most of the time I've been on HF and while they were tolerable, they were no where as comfortable as my FreQShows. It's not even close. I get none of the wearing fatigue with these that I used to get with any universal I've owned before. The sq is better, imo than any of the universals I've had. I've used them in a HR Millet Hybrid and they scaled up nicely. I'm looking forward to trying them in my B22. I could not be happier with my decision to buy my FreQs.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #2,942 of 3,960
hmmm, is t just me or is the cable untwistable?, my freq's came today!!! a bit darker than i thought they would be, but then again i was worrying before that they might be tooo light! ha. anyway, my right pair can slip in without hassle and have a great fit, but my left pair take a bit of work to get in and easily loose seal if i open my mouth, is that because of wrong shape, or too much or too little on the shell?

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #2,943 of 3,960
it could just be the shape of your canal is quite diff from the other side. Cos my canals on the freq llok very diff for mine.. so it's understandable it's diff.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #2,944 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm, is t just me or is the cable untwistable?, my freq's came today!!! a bit darker than i thought they would be, but then again i was worrying before that they might be tooo light! ha. anyway, my right pair can slip in without hassle and have a great fit, but my left pair take a bit of work to get in and easily loose seal if i open my mouth, is that because of wrong shape, or too much or too little on the shell?

Congrats of the new Freqs. Freq Show or Super Freq? any pic?

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #2,946 of 3,960
I got my FreqShows back today!!! wahooo!

Fit is pretty damn near perfect. My right ear has a spot that seems to hurt a tiny bit, but I'm going to see if that changes in the next day or so. They used the new open mouth impressions this time. When I took them out of the box, my immediate reaction was "whoah those canals are huge!" I have a great seal that I cannot break with any facial movement. If I tug on my ears in certain spots, I can make the seal break, but it's tough. The new colors look awesome too! (translucent green right and yellow left inners with translucent black faceplates) Todd is completely justified in being proud of the product they are making now. These things are built really really well. I can't imagine UEs are much better, if at all.
wink.gif
I'm very happy with them.

I know I know. Pics! I'm at work, but I'll try to get some up this evening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of this points are IMO myths:

About comfort, IME, a solid piece in the ear will never be as comfortable as a universal rubber, or silicone tip. Try to move the face, open the mouth, blink, and you will notice the thing in the ear, sometimes even painful...with universals this does not happen, if you try the sleeks for example or the Klipsch's, the fit is perfect, seal is perfect, and after a minute you feel absolutelly nothing in your ears, I'm still trying to get used to the customs...

Impressions, well not sure where did you get them, but I was charged $60.00 for them, and after Todd talked with the audiologist, the best price other than that I found in my area was $40.00 for the pair, and a week of wait...

Sound quality, well here the FreQ sound better than the other ones I have but it is a three driver earpiece, the others are a single one. The difference is not that big BTW...

First, it seems I quote Slowth a lot and we often are in disagreement. I just want to say that I'm not trying to pick on you or anything
wink.gif
In fact I appreciate a healthy and civil debate
biggrin.gif

That said, I disagree about universals being more comfortable. To get a good seal with a universal tip, made of one of the softer materials, the tips will be exerting some pressure against the canal. Yes, it may provide a tighter seal, but at the expense of comfort. Yes too, the seal can sometimes be harder to break because the softer materials can change shape to some degree, but in this situation, they are also likely to be harder to insert then an acrylic custom. If your customs fit well, they should disappear in your ears. Can you feel them when you start moving your jaw? Of course, but are you implying you can't feel the universals? I wore a friend's Shure IEMs, and I could get a good seal and sound using the foam tips, but they were a pain to put in and they were uncomfortable for extended wearing because they were pushing on the inside of my ear canal. A good fitting acrylic custom IEM will not be "pushing" against your ear. It is the correct size and shape and just sits there.

I doubt either of us will convince the other, but that's what makes life interesting. We're all different
smily_headphones1.gif

It's good that we both express our opinions and let others make up their own minds who they agree with.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #2,947 of 3,960
I've never had a universal IEM that was anywhere near as comfortable as any of the 3 customs I currently own, and they don't all feel the same either.

I know this has been asked on this huge thread before, but is the connector with the red dot for the left or right side? I had noticed it was originally in the left shell, but yesterday I swapped it to the right and the sound is much better. Seems like a veil was lifted, the clarity difference is night and day.

I also tried the UE universal cable, and it is not a good match. The bass on the FreQs drops considerably and it sounds pretty thin. I just purchased a UE custom braided cable and will see if it is a better match.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #2,948 of 3,960
as my understanding, the red one should always go right. ER4 is, LW is. But not sure if Freqs has different design or what? Did you try any dummy head recording to verify left and right channel?

BTW, I am still waiting for my Freq Show got delivered with dark transparent Red (right)/dark transparent Blue(left), if the red dot on the cable is connecting to the left ear piece, I am doomed!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this has been asked on this huge thread before, but is the connector with the red dot for the left or right side? I had noticed it was originally in the left shell, but yesterday I swapped it to the right and the sound is much better. Seems like a veil was lifted, the clarity difference is night and day.

How much does the SQ improved? any update comparison vs your UE11 and costom SA6?

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #2,949 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by small.solar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as my understanding, the red one should always go right. ER4 is, LW is. But not sure if Freqs has different design or what? Did you try any dummy head recording to verify left and right channel?

BTW, I am still waiting for my Freq Show got delivered with dark transparent Red (right)/dark transparent Blue(left), if the red dot on the cable is connecting to the left ear piece, I am doomed!!!!!!!!!

How much does the SQ improved? any update comparison vs your UE11 and costom SA6?

I'm holding off the comparison because the custom Sleek needs a fit adjustment. Will do so when it has been refitted. I will briefly say the UE11 is superior to the FreQs in just about every regard. Not knocking the FreQ, they are excellent in their own right, but certainly not on UE11's level.

Regarding the cable switch, I had previously thought the FreQ were somewhat muddy and had a treble rolloff. With the cable swap, the muddiness has been cleared up and the treble has better extension and detail. It's a major difference that has me rethinking sending the FreQ in to change the crossover (ML to MM).

If you have the Show, swap the cables around and give it a listen.

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #2,950 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm holding off the comparison because the custom Sleek needs a fit adjustment. Will do so when it has been refitted. I will briefly say the UE11 is superior to the FreQs in just about every regard. Not knocking the FreQ, they are excellent in their own right, but certainly not on UE11's level.

Regarding the cable switch, I had previously thought the FreQ were somewhat muddy and had a treble rolloff. With the cable swap, the muddiness has been cleared up and the treble has better extension and detail. It's a major difference that has me rethinking sending the FreQ in to change the crossover (ML to MM).

If you have the Show, swap the cables around and give it a listen.

Thanks for the info, I will definately waiting for your comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif
, I understand that UE11 should be better in most aspective (may not for vocal, not sure though) otherwise, everyone should get Freqs instead of other custom IEMs.
My Freq Show has not be delivered yet. I am probably the one who waited them longest. I put my order May 6th and my first package got lost. I have to re-take ear impressions and start the process over again. My new set of impressions delivered to the Freqs last Monday, but so far I didn't get any information of when will my Freq Show be done and shipped.

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #2,952 of 3,960
??? Ha I definitely take no offence bro =) in fact I don't even notice it..

now.. were you actually referring to sovkiller and not me? cos erm.. you quoted his message and rebutted his statement... haha

congrats on the great new set though!!!

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #2,953 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I disagree about universals being more comfortable. To get a good seal with a universal tip, made of one of the softer materials, the tips will be exerting some pressure against the canal. Yes, it may provide a tighter seal, but at the expense of comfort. Yes too, the seal can sometimes be harder to break because the softer materials can change shape to some degree, but in this situation, they are also likely to be harder to insert then an acrylic custom. If your customs fit well, they should disappear in your ears. Can you feel them when you start moving your jaw? Of course, but are you implying you can't feel the universals? I wore a friend's Shure IEMs, and I could get a good seal and sound using the foam tips, but they were a pain to put in and they were uncomfortable for extended wearing because they were pushing on the inside of my ear canal. A good fitting acrylic custom IEM will not be "pushing" against your ear. It is the correct size and shape and just sits there.

I doubt either of us will convince the other, but that's what makes life interesting. We're all different
smily_headphones1.gif

It's good that we both express our opinions and let others make up their own minds who they agree with.

Not necessarily, have you seen the way the silicon tips of the Klipschs are made for example, they are like an umbrella, they attach by the shape and no by pressure, you have to select the right size of course. the pressure points are minimal. Not sure about the Shures, but I can tell you for sure that the Klipschs, are among the more comfortable things I have introduced in my ears, not sure if you have tried them but the pressure inside the canal is minimal, and if you move the face you will notice absolutely no change in comfort, and after a couple of minutes they simply disappear in your ears. I'm still fighting with the FreQ's to feel them right...
Honestly this hit and miss process is not my liking at all, if I have to send them back, for another refit, will be definitive for a refund, I will not waste more and more time (and money) trying to make them feel comfortable, sorry.

And the same must likely will happen to any other manufacturer, the imperfections in them old and process will always lead to inaccuracies in the fit, that sometimes need to be corrected....other the person simply get used to them, for me, comfort is a must.

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #2,954 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily, have you seen the way the silicon tips of the Klipschs are made for example, they are like an umbrella, they attach by the shape and no by pressure, you have to select the right size of course. the pressure points are minimal. Not sure about the Shures, but I can tell you for sure that the Klipschs, are among the more comfortable things I have introduced in my ears, not sure if you have tried them but the pressure inside the canal is minimal, and if you move the face you will notice absolutely no change in comfort, and after a couple of minutes they simply disappear in your ears.

The shape of your ear, specially inner ear also dictates if universals will fit OK for extended sessions. My audiologist stated that "universals" fit a good percentage of the population due to the many tips (various sizes) but they can't work with all folks.

For me, I resisted the idea of true custom IEM's. I tried a few high-end universals: UE (SF5Pro and TF10) and the Shure (SE530), and I also tried several alternate tips (Comply's, etc.). All of these, along with the Klipschs assume a "round" and even inner ear - my inner ear is oval, not round, so no universal ever fit right. Only with true customs have I gotten great comfort and isolation. Not only that, my SuperFreQs (MM x-over) sound better than the UE/Shure universals and cost less
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #2,955 of 3,960
So I just upgraded to the FreQ Show due to all of the positive response...

WOW!!

These are a step up from my last set of SuperFreQs. I will post a detailed review as soon as I have a little more time. I could not figure out how to post a picture, so just click on the link below. There are a few pics to drool at. (I really like the way they turned out!!) I went with the clear Westone cable that I bought separately because I didn't think the black would look as nice.

Dino0987 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back