The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Apr 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #1,291 of 3,960
Ripped open the DHL bag around 1:30 CST. Fiddled with them, eventually getting them in my ears when I got to my office garage (1:40). Requires about a 90-degree rotation/twist upon putting the stems inside my ear canals. Once seated, they really feel great. From reading this and the LW thread, I was expecting pain for about a week. I think I could sleep in these right now!

Plugged into my iPhone for the short walk to the office. Made sure all of the volume settings were set to zero. Fired up a random song. I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the sound right off the bat. Everything sounds congested (especially when compared to my PK1 from memory).

I had a meeting, so I set them aside and put some music through them before leaving.

Fast forward to 3:15 CST. I put the SuperFreqs back in (definitely easier the 2nd-3rd time) for more in-depth analysis. With no music playing, they are pretty isolating. I can barely hear my typing (seemingly the measure of success around here
smily_headphones1.gif
) on my noisy Apple slim aluminum keyboard (which is quite loud). I hear a few of my co-workers doing stuff 5-6 feet away, but barely. It is definitely not complete silence (which is what I heard when I got my impressions done).

As for the seal, I think things are good. My impressions were done with mouth open slightly with a bite block (audiologist confirmed and followed all UE instructions, minus the cotton). When I open my mouth wide, the seal breaks, but the seem to seal back up upon closing my mouth. I hear a bit of rustling when I turn or lift my head, but I don't think the seal breaks. And when my head returns to normal forward position, the seal returns. My right ear FEELS a bit less "filled" by the mold, but I don't think there is a problem.

Appearance- and construction-wise, I'm probably picking nits, but there are a few issues I'm not loving. (1) Where the faceplate is glued to the mold, there is a slight line of black. It's almost as if the person gluing had dirty fingers (not saying this is the case). It could also be that there is a slight gap where the two pieces of white plastic meet. Either way, the seam is completely smooth and only appears to be cosmetic in nature. But with the white on white color choice, this black line is disappointing. (2) There also appears to be a blemish in the white plastic on the left piece. I'll try to take pictures (good and bad) later to illustrate. Again, merely cosmetic.

Now for the sound quality (BTW... I have the iPhone cable grafted on): Out of my MacBook Pro > Pico with Apple Lossless, I still hear some congestion. I think it is a lack of sparkle in the treble (especially coming from the PK1). My current -- albeit limited listening -- puts the Freqs in the Sennheiser sound camp (dark and tilted to bass). I'm finding it much more enjoyable with Faithless (trip-hop) versus Corinne Bailey Rae or Regina Spektor.

Maybe some burn-in will help the treble? I'm almost afraid to suggest.
smily_headphones1.gif
Bass seems plentiful and tight.

BTW... out of the Pico on low gain, I get a small amount of volume play. I haven't gone past 9:00 on the dial. On high gain, I basically get nothing, loud and LOUDER.

Directly out of the iPhone, the sound is a bit more congested unless I turn up the volume a bit more than on Pico. (I JUST COMPLETELY MISSED A PHONE CALL TWO FEET AWAY FROM ME! HEE!) I definitely get the hiss when no music is playing that everyone mentions.

I'll report more when I have the chance, and hopefully take some pics. Again, I fly out to San Diego for business tomorrow morning. I'll definitely be putting the SuperFreqs through their paces.

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #1,292 of 3,960
Posted by mchang:

Quote:

Now for the sound quality (BTW... I have the iPhone cable grafted on): Out of my MacBook Pro > Pico with Apple Lossless, I still hear some congestion. I think it is a lack of sparkle in the treble (especially coming from the PK1). My current -- albeit limited listening -- puts the Freqs in the Sennheiser sound camp (dark and tilted to bass). I'm finding it much more enjoyable with Faithless (trip-hop) versus Corinne Bailey Rae or Regina Spektor

I found this same sound signature when I had the superfreqs. I thought the lower mid/bass range a bit too rich with fatness-obscuring the mid/high ranges. I did find the company excellent to deal with and responsive to their customers-always a positive attribute. My opinion of course.

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #1,293 of 3,960
Cartmaizm, I also think you have a fit / impression problem with your FreQs.

Like powertoold mentioned, you need to wear them for a few days for you and your ears to get used to a full custom earpiece. If after a few days to one week, you are still not getting a good enough seal, this is something that can be fixed.

In fact your initial lack of seal is similar to my lack of seal. Talking to Todd revealed that this is very simple for them to correct, but they need your feedback as to where is the lack of seal happening. Press "lightly" around each piece in a couple of directions, front back, sideways, and try to note if/when you get perfect seal (you will know, not only because of less noise from outside, but also the bass will become stronger). This type of information (or any other you can think off from your own experience of what seems to work or not) is what the FreQ folks need to re-work your custom IEM's.

And please note that having a re-fit is actually even comon on the UE-11 ($1200 - go read their LONG thread). This happens since there is some amount of manual labor involved in the process.

But again, don't worry too much about it - all companies that make custom IEM's (LW, FreQs, UE, etc.) have to do re-fits for some customers, and the guys from FreQ's will work with you to make these right
wink.gif

Will

Apr 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #1,294 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartmaizm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I got my super freq's yesterday and I seem to be having a lot of trouble liking them.

You guys might probably say that I don't have a proper seal since I'm expieriencing low noise isolation and not very comfortable fit. The problem is I'm not likely to send them back to the Freq for a refit. I simply dont have the money to go for another set of impressions ($45) + shipping both ways from Australia to Florida.(

There is no doubt at all that you don't have a good seal. Even a marginal seal sounds pretty damn good. Like Todd said, the seal is 80% of the sound quality.

How much does it cost to ship them to Florida? The package is small and doesn't weigh a lot.

For $45 your audiologist should see you for a follow up. Mine asked me to return when I got mine so she could see them. She actually did a minor adjustment for me while I was there. I had a part that was poking my ear, and she smoothed it down a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From reading this and the LW thread, I was expecting pain for about a week. I think I could sleep in these right now!

Fast forward to 3:15 CST. I put the SuperFreqs back in (definitely easier the 2nd-3rd time) for more in-depth analysis. With no music playing, they are pretty isolating. I can barely hear my typing (seemingly the measure of success around here
smily_headphones1.gif
) on my noisy Apple slim aluminum keyboard (which is quite loud). I hear a few of my co-workers doing stuff 5-6 feet away, but barely. It is definitely not complete silence (which is what I heard when I got my impressions done).

As for the seal, I think things are good. My impressions were done with mouth open slightly with a bite block (audiologist confirmed and followed all UE instructions, minus the cotton). When I open my mouth wide, the seal breaks, but the seem to seal back up upon closing my mouth. I hear a bit of rustling when I turn or lift my head, but I don't think the seal breaks. And when my head returns to normal forward position, the seal returns. My right ear FEELS a bit less "filled" by the mold, but I don't think there is a problem.

Mine felt pretty good the first day too, but you will find that your ears get used to them being there and they eventually disappear.

Your seal sounds a lot like my experience. Mine are probably 90% right, but the seal is critical so that's still not good enough. My right ear is slightly "looser" then my left. If I open my jaw wide to break the seal, my left seals back up sooner then the right. But I think they both could be a little tighter. I think they just apply coats of acrylic over them, so I want 2 coats on the right and 1 on the left I think. I'm not going to tell them how to fix it though. I will just describe how they fit and trust their judgment.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #1,295 of 3,960
Normal postage from Aus costs ~US$9, but it takes so long (up to 10 days)... I sent mine last Tuesday and they still haven't received them yet
frown.gif

However the real killer is the courier postage back to us which cost US$43. So for us to have a refit it will cost at least $50, any audiologist fees and about 3 weeks... which is why I'm so damn paranoid about not having a good fit on the first go; I've asked them to tell me if there are anything they find problematic on the impressions so I can just send them a new one which is so much better than me needing a refit.

I really really really hope I don't need a refit lol.

BTW, can anyone comment on their turnaround time recently? ie. from when they receive the impressions to when they ship it back.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #1,296 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now for the sound quality (BTW... I have the iPhone cable grafted on): Out of my MacBook Pro > Pico with Apple Lossless, I still hear some congestion. I think it is a lack of sparkle in the treble (especially coming from the PK1). My current -- albeit limited listening -- puts the Freqs in the Sennheiser sound camp (dark and tilted to bass). I'm finding it much more enjoyable with Faithless (trip-hop) versus Corinne Bailey Rae or Regina Spektor.

Maybe some burn-in will help the treble? I'm almost afraid to suggest.
smily_headphones1.gif
Bass seems plentiful and tight.

BTW... out of the Pico on low gain, I get a small amount of volume play. I haven't gone past 9:00 on the dial. On high gain, I basically get nothing, loud and LOUDER.

Your first impressions are like mine, except I thought the treble sparkle was great for an IEM. True, it isn't as good as non-IEMs, but it is better than the SE530.

As for the congested / muffled sound, I agree with that too. I didn't think it was as clear as my defoamed HD580s. It takes about 2 hours to get used to it. Now, I primarily use my FreQs.

I think the Music Lover line is supposed to be bass-heavy because it is targeted at... Music Lovers lol. Most people who are in to music love bass, and the FreQ will give you a lot of that.

I think the Music Maker line will be more neutral and have less bass. Todd hasn't given us any details regarding the sound signature.

May 1, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #1,297 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $45 your audiologist should see you for a follow up. Mine asked me to return when I got mine so she could see them. She actually did a minor adjustment for me while I was there. I had a part that was poking my ear, and she smoothed it down a bit.

My audiologist was the same. She wanted to know how the earpieces turned out to be. Since I also had a little lack of seal, when I saw her she actually made some recommendations on how to improve the fit. When I sent my SF's for a re-fit yesterday, I included some photos and pointed out her suggestions in the photos
wink.gif

Will

May 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #1,298 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinzeta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Normal postage from Aus costs ~US$9, but it takes so long (up to 10 days)... I sent mine last Tuesday and they still haven't received them yet
frown.gif

However the real killer is the courier postage back to us which cost US$43. So for us to have a refit it will cost at least $50, any audiologist fees and about 3 weeks... which is why I'm so damn paranoid about not having a good fit on the first go; I've asked them to tell me if there are anything they find problematic on the impressions so I can just send them a new one which is so much better than me needing a refit.

I really really really hope I don't need a refit lol.

BTW, can anyone comment on their turnaround time recently? ie. from when they receive the impressions to when they ship it back.

First, getting perfect fit on the first try is of course the ideal/goal, but I think that the expectations need to be a little bit more realistic - a re-fit i always possible, so when getting custom IEM's, it is best to plan for this and then be happy if you don't need it.

My turn-around time was about a week and 1/2 from when they got my impressions until I had them in my hands, but I am here in TX, relatively closer to FL.

Will

May 1, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #1,299 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, getting perfect fit on the first try is of course the ideal/goal, but I think that the expectations need to be a little bit more realistic - a re-fit i always possible, so when getting custom IEM's, it is best to plan for this and then be happy if you don't need it.

My turn-around time was about a week and 1/2 from when they got my impressions until I had them in my hands, but I am here in TX, relatively closer to FL.

Will

Ah I agree completely, indeed I bought them fully knowing a refit was a possibility. To be honest though, it is the 3 weeks, not the money that bothers me more. I try to forget about them until they come but I can't lol... another 3 weeks of waiting would be toture
frown.gif

May 1, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #1,301 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinzeta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah I agree completely, indeed I bought them fully knowing a refit was a possibility. To be honest though, it is the 3 weeks, not the money that bothers me more. I try to forget about them until they come but I can't lol... another 3 weeks of waiting would be toture
frown.gif

Yeah thats true. I am seriousely more concerned about the turnaround time. I paid for the express shipping which was $43. If I wanted to save a bit of money I would of chosen the normal shipping which would take longer but cheaper.

I love using express mail a a lot of my things because I cannot stand having to wait too long.

Is there any possibilities that my audiologist will be able to do anything about them in here from Australia?

May 1, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #1,302 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartmaizm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah thats true. I am seriousely more concerned about the turnaround time. I paid for the express shipping which was $43. If I wanted to save a bit of money I would of chosen the normal shipping which would take longer but cheaper.

I love using express mail a a lot of my things because I cannot stand having to wait too long.

Is there any possibilities that my audiologist will be able to do anything about them in here from Australia?

Just FYI, when I ordered they informed me that they were no longer offering USPS; so we have to use DHL now. BTW, how long did it take for your impressions to reach them via normal air post?

May 1, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #1,304 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone pm me Todd's email? I've tried the one on the site and haven't gotten a response after a week of waiting. I'm thinking it got filtered out.

I just PM'ed you Todds email.

Please note that Todd is VERY busy and that yes, they get lots of spam. It has also taking me about a week before I get a hold of him. Remember he is the president, and he travels quite a bit. He will get to you, but he gets between 150-250 daily emails (not counting SPAM), so as you can imagine, it is tough to answer questions in a very quick manner - but he will do everything he can to get you going
wink.gif

Good guy to talk to over the phone if you ever get lucky enough to get a hold of him on the phone
smily_headphones1.gif

Will

May 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #1,305 of 3,960
Call him/them. None of my emails got replies. Phone calls were answered immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back