The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Apr 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #1,276 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh sweet could you PM me the phone number? Thanks! The only place that did do ear impressions said they would charge atleast $65 which is wayy too much imo.

Also, if you're interested in an audiologist in Chatswood, then I have the contacts for one. It's a place called Better Hearing, in Lemon Grove, if you know where that is. It's $45 for both ears if I remember correctly.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #1,277 of 3,960
Yeah I got my super freq's yesterday and I seem to be having a lot of trouble liking them.

I got my impressions done by an audiologist to ensure that they are done correctly.

Ok firstly, I find them not very comfortable at all. Ive got a pair of Shure SE310's next to me and they are so much more comfortable in my ears.

As for noise isolation I find that the Freq's hardly block out any sound at all. At an acceptable listning volume I can still hear the light switch flick when I turn it off and on. If I turn on the tap I can hear the water running. Right now (using my Freq's) I can hear myself typing on the keyboard. This issue however, is not present with the Shure SE310's. Ive also tried with my sound system at home and playing a track. according to my Yamaha YHT-185, I can hear music coming out of those speakers at -45db. Thats not even the volume I would normally listen to with my speakers... I have it at about -33db. With the Shures, I can hear nothing until I hit about -15db or something like that.

Is there anyway to improve the noise isolation? It is really, really annoying because I use earphones everyday on the way to school, its about a 45min drive. The radio is on and I can hear it when I'm listening and unless I turn the volume up till it hurts my ears, I can still hear it.

You guys might probably say that I don't have a proper seal since I'm expieriencing low noise isolation and not very comfortable fit. The problem is I'm not likely to send them back to the Freq for a refit. I simply dont have the money to go for another set of impressions ($45) + shipping both ways from Australia to Florida.

Help guys? Also, I find that the Shure's produce better sounding music. Is it just something I have to get used to? Ive heard that people say the Freq's are better than the Shure SE530's. The bass on my Shures is also so much more better than the Freq's
frown.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #1,278 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartmaizm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I got my super freq's yesterday and I seem to be having a lot of trouble liking them.

I got my impressions done by an audiologist to ensure that they are done correctly.

Ok firstly, I find them not very comfortable at all. Ive got a pair of Shure SE310's next to me and they are so much more comfortable in my ears.

As for noise isolation I find that the Freq's hardly block out any sound at all. At an acceptable listning volume I can still hear the light switch flick when I turn it off and on. If I turn on the tap I can hear the water running. Right now (using my Freq's) I can hear myself typing on the keyboard. This issue however, is not present with the Shure SE310's. Ive also tried with my sound system at home and playing a track. according to my Yamaha YHT-185, I can hear music coming out of those speakers at -45db. Thats not even the volume I would normally listen to with my speakers... I have it at about -33db. With the Shures, I can hear nothing until I hit about -15db or something like that.

Is there anyway to improve the noise isolation? It is really, really annoying because I use earphones everyday on the way to school, its about a 45min drive. The radio is on and I can hear it when I'm listening and unless I turn the volume up till it hurts my ears, I can still hear it.

You guys might probably say that I don't have a proper seal since I'm expieriencing low noise isolation and not very comfortable fit. The problem is I'm not likely to send them back to the Freq for a refit. I simply dont have the money to go for another set of impressions ($45) + shipping both ways from Australia to Florida.

Help guys? Also, I find that the Shure's produce better sounding music. Is it just something I have to get used to? Ive heard that people say the Freq's are better than the Shure SE530's. The bass on my Shures is also so much more better than the Freq's
frown.gif

If what you said is true... it is probably the fit issue.
talk to the FreQ / Todd and see what happens and explain the issue... I'm pretty sure they will try their best to compensate for your problems.

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #1,280 of 3,960
This is definitely a fit issue.
You can try to consult your local audiologist. See what going wrong with your fit.
Since your SuperFreQ is made from the impression he/she made, he should be able to tell what's going wrong with it.

Quote:

frown.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #1,281 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by killkli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is definitely a fit issue.
You can try to consult your local audiologist. See what going wrong with your fit.
Since your SuperFreQ is made from the impression he/she made, he should be able to tell what's going wrong with it.

Yeah but won't i have to pay the consulting fee of $45 again?

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #1,283 of 3,960
hmm... do they Freq's really block out a lot of noise? Does anyone have a pair of Shure's SE310's or similar to compare?

Ive just stuffed some tissue paper to try and make the fit tighter but i can still hear myself typing and flicking the switch...

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #1,284 of 3,960
Also, for the people that have used the Shure's before, how does comfort compare with the Freq's in ur opinions...

For me, the Shures are so much more comfortable... the Freq has like a sharp end... where the 2 holes for the sound come out of.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #1,285 of 3,960
Quote:

Also, for the people that have used the Shure's before, how does comfort compare with the Freq's in ur opinions...

For me, the Shures are so much more comfortable... the Freq has like a sharp end... where the 2 holes for the sound come out of.

I don't know the case of SE310, but I had used SE530 once.
The sound isolation (of superfreq) is as good as SE530 with yellow foam tip.
And definitely feels better than the SE530 with foam tips.
As I have suggested, your SuperFreQ is not fitting as it should be. Go check it's fit with professions, instead of asking about here. There is no much help you can have from asking people...... the fit issue just can't be solved by others.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #1,286 of 3,960
The isolation is supposed to be 26dB, which is like the hum of a refrigerator from 3 feet away.

It's not supposed to "block" noise. It mostly makes them less audible once you're listening to music.

Once I turn on my music to 70% moderate levels, I can't hear anything around me: talking, doors, bells, cell phone, etc.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #1,287 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by killkli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got another pair of SuperFreQ. Ordered it for a local headphile friend.
His id is tchdavid.
He choose both clear color and white wire:

Damn.... I wish I had choose clear, too. My choice is so bad that it's kind of joke -_-.

I don't like clear very much. It looks sort of messy.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #1,288 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The isolation is supposed to be 26dB, which is like the hum of a refrigerator from 3 feet away.

It's not supposed to "block" noise. It mostly makes them less audible once you're listening to music.

Once I turn on my music to 70% moderate levels, I can't hear anything around me: talking, doors, bells, cell phone, etc.

mmmk... Ive been trying to find (though unsuccessful) the dB rating for the Shure SE310's....Anyone find it please post. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #1,289 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like clear very much. It looks sort of messy.

Though its a big improvement from the clear one on page 1.

Though it would be good if it actually looked like the one pictured on the website.

FreQ_SuperFreQ_07.jpg

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #1,290 of 3,960
Yes it is.

Hey Cartmaizm, I think you have a fit / impression problem with your FreQs.

Is it on both ears, and are there any pressure points inside your ear when you relax your face?

You should call the FreQ. If you don't have any pressure points, they can make your FreQ a bit thicker, so there's better seal.

About the comfort, it takes about 1-2 weeks to get used to it. Most people who buy customs feel they aren't comfortable at first, but they love it once their ears get used to it. Just make sure there are no pressure points in your ear that will cause problems.

** I remember Todd saying that the sound quality is at least 80% dependent on the fit and seal. I would definitely say the FreQ is better than the SE530 sound-wise, in bass and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back