The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Mar 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #902 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone out there who can compare the superfreq sound to the universal three driver..se530?

If I remember correctly, Killkli compares Freq to SE530 and UE triple fi but not detailed

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #903 of 3,960
The FreQ is much better than the SE530, sound-wise, and because of the SE530's poor cable quality, build-wise too
biggrin.gif

There's no comparison between the SE530 and FreQ soundwise. The FreQs don't have as much recessed highs. No matter how good the rest of the SE530 sounds, you're still missing the spiciness of music. I'm not saying this from reading. I've heard the SE530 several times since I got the FreQs.

Here's what killkli said:

Quote:

I've just received my SuperFreQ today.
Straight out of the box, SuperFreQ does do the job GREAT.
I mean, it's not muddy like the three driver SE530, not AT ALL.
...All right.......... If the only concern is SQ.......... I would suggest SuperFreQ. Really, they are good. It beats Universal fit Triple Drivers like TF10 pro or SE530. It betters Livewires slightly in SQ.

Although I can't say for sure that it's burn in, but I felt that my FreQs improved in SQ over time, or maybe it's because I'm listening to it through the D2 now
biggrin.gif

I can only say that if killkli can make such a conclusion after some initial impressions of the FreQ, he'll like them even more as time passes. I liked it at first and even moreso later on. Now, I've also fixed the resonant ringing problem, so they are the perfect IEM for me.

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #904 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlui1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my SuperFreQs today. They seem to stick out a lot in my ear ...

Everything is relative! If you think that these stick out of your ear a lot, look at pictures of folks (like myself!) wearing the UE Triple.Fi 10's - those "really" stick out a lot
biggrin.gif

Will

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #905 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything is relative! If you think that these stick out of your ear a lot, look at pictures of folks (like myself!) wearing the UE Triple.Fi 10's - those "really" stick out a lot
biggrin.gif

Will

What I meant when I said they stick out a lot is that I remember reading a post with pictures, that someone else also had their's stick out a lot, but it turns out they weren't putting them in properly.

From the pictures of other people's SuperFreQs here, they all seem to have the inner shell covered when in ear, but some of mine can still be seen when in the ear. It's either I'm not putting them in properly, or my ears were just designed in a way that the FreQs had to be made like that.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #906 of 3,960
Quote:

What I meant when I said they stick out a lot is that I remember reading a post with pictures, that someone else also had their's stick out a lot, but it turns out they weren't putting them in properly.

From the pictures of other people's SuperFreQs here, they all seem to have the inner shell covered when in ear, but some of mine can still be seen when in the ear. It's either I'm not putting them in properly, or my ears were just designed in a way that the FreQs had to be made like that.

can you post a picture? Then we could give a better assessment.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #907 of 3,960
Maybe there's something supremely wrong with mine or that we listen to different types of music, but I definitely rank tf10p > SuperFREQs.

In most vocals, the mids are a bit too forward for my liking and they mask some high details. I get a more balanced sound from the tf10p.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #908 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Will

Hey.. you got yr SuperFREQs yet? Would love to see what your comparison is like vis a vis the tf10p with custom molds.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #909 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe there's something supremely wrong with mine or that we listen to different types of music, but I definitely rank tf10p > SuperFREQs.

In most vocals, the mids are a bit too forward for my liking and they mask some high details. I get a more balanced sound from the tf10p.

Yep, there might be someone love the more "leveled" like sound of TF10 pro. However, most people I know thought that the comparably recessed mid range is something not so welcome of TF10 pro.
As for the covering the highs, I think not.
When I'm using it with my DAC CS43122 & Headsix or Ibasso D2, there are all clarity TF10 pro could ever deliver but more neutral instead of somewhat piercing of the TF10 pro.
I listened some Symphonic records such as Bizet's Symphony in C Major IV or Violin Sonatas of Mozart.
The sound of string instruments are great, the treble sparkle and got an air of natural feeling.

The natural feeling is where both SuperFreQ & Livewires beats the TF10 pro. They both got more of the pleasant side of the sound of string than the TF10 pro.
And surprisingly the SupreFreQ does sparkled a little more than LW while not losing that naturalness @@.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #910 of 3,960
I'll try and take some better pictures of my FreQ later, took lots of pictures, but only 3 came out ok.

dsc0452ti4.jpg

dsc0451md8.jpg

dsc0450lb6.jpg

Just to clarify, using a ER4P/S converter would get rid of the hiss, and lower the minimal volume of my mp3 player, right? Would using the converter adversely affect the SQ of the FreQs?

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #911 of 3,960
^nice pictures!!! will update my picture thread.

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #912 of 3,960
I just did a intense listening of Vivaldi Four Seasons' Summer Presto & Winter Allegro Non Molto.
I'm comparing FreQ with Livewires.
With this two string symphony, I think I'd withdraw previous opinion that SuperFreQ is better than LW on highs.
They are actually two kind of great treble.
They both got clarity but the signature is really difference rather than better or not.
And it's hard to decide which one I like better @@.
Though on this field, they are both better than TF10 pro in MY OPINION ONLY. This is very subjective really.

If I must put some words on both of this two IEM, I'd say that LW is more prone to analytical sound and SuperFreQ emotional. LW would be better for monitor purpose, no wonder the Super Idols are using lots of them.
But as for normal music lover, I'd say that SuperFreQ wins somehow marginally, with that more emotional like sound.

You could tell their difference immediately, and somehow My first impression is always that the SuperFreQ got an upper hand on the first sight.
But after a few moment longer listening, the balance would somehow restored to par status.

Conclusion so far is that both of them would not be out of my favor really....

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #913 of 3,960
I agree killkli. The FreQs are targeted towards bassy conventional music lovers
biggrin.gif
Personally, I think there is a bit too much bass for classical music; although, the bass is feels well proportioned to the music after listening for a while. When I switch from the HD580 back to the FreQs, the bass overwhelms me, and I'd have to listen for a good 30 minutes or so to get used to it again, but once I get used to it, it sounds great.

I think the FreQs are a good compliment to my HD580s, especially when I want more bass. Sometimes, I feel like I want the analytical and clear sound; other times, I want my head to rumble a bit.

Since LiveWires have an analytical sound, I'd likely prefer its sound signature over the FreQs, but that's not to say I'm not very satisfied with the FreQ.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #914 of 3,960
Quote:

I'll try and take some better pictures of my FreQ later, took lots of pictures, but only 3 came out ok.

Just to clarify, using a ER4P/S converter would get rid of the hiss, and lower the minimal volume of my mp3 player, right? Would using the converter adversely affect the SQ of the FreQs?

I personally don't like the idea of a "converter". The one that UE provided with my SF5Pro causes the sound to feel sterile and bland. If you want to eliminate hiss, get a good portable amp like the iBasso D2. I say the D2 is good to eliminate hiss because you can change the opamp, which is the main factor in producing hiss.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #915 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by killkli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did a intense listening of Vivaldi Four Seasons' Summer Presto & Winter Allegro Non Molto.
I'm comparing FreQ with Livewires.
With this two string symphony, I think I'd withdraw previous opinion that SuperFreQ is better than LW on highs.
They are actually two kind of great treble.
They both got clarity but the signature is really difference rather than better or not.
And it's hard to decide which one I like better @@.
Though on this field, they are both better than TF10 pro in MY OPINION ONLY. This is very subjective really.

If I must put some words on both of this two IEM, I'd say that LW is more prone to analytical sound and SuperFreQ emotional. LW would be better for monitor purpose, no wonder the Super Idols are using lots of them.
But as for normal music lover, I'd say that SuperFreQ wins somehow marginally, with that more emotional like sound.

You could tell their difference immediately, and somehow My first impression is always that the SuperFreQ got an upper hand on the first sight.
But after a few moment longer listening, the balance would somehow restored to par status.

Conclusion so far is that both of them would not be out of my favor really....

Thanks - great review/comparison. I like what you said about both sounding better to you than the TF10 Pro (which I have as well). I have the SuperFreQ's on order, so I am looking forward to my own comparison later in April
wink.gif

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back