The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jan 12, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #136 of 3,960
And where is the review. It is a bit selfish not to share the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #137 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by janruzinsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And where is the review. It is a bit selfish not to share the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL
tongue.gif

I'm sure we will have plenty of reviews in the next week as a few have already recieved their FreQs and a number of us should have ours within the next few days
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #138 of 3,960
yes but sometimes i forget the meaning ofthe word patient

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #139 of 3,960
Mine will arrive within next week, and I have an idea. I can compare them to er4p as I listened to those for quite a while and maybe I can compare them to super-fi 3s and e3c, but the rest I really don't remember. If anyone's feeling like it, I'd welcome any sent earphones for critical comparison using various music genres. I was planning a hefty photo review and this would add tremendous value to it. I'm in rochester NY, if you get your stuff from stamps.com, it costs around a buck to ship earphones. Since it will be of comparative value, it would be more consistent if I had a few at the same time so I can make A>C>B=D type of comparison. If you don't feel secure about sending me your precious', I have heatware and ebay feedback, and should be some around here

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #140 of 3,960
ha public transportation....yeah I don't think that's a problem. some people arent even allowed ipod and all that if you see what I'm gettin at. (plus I'm getting my license soon or at least by then anyway)

and no offense but those look like chunks of graphite. I want as a consumer at least no ridges in it (although freqs are new). I casted urethane resin (made plastic) before so I think maybe it's just because they don't have the equipment...

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #141 of 3,960
It's a 2 part cast and to obtain a smooth connection you would need a third process of coating/sanding which would take time and energy, and therefore money. A one part cast is not going to happen on a hand crafted mold. I believe (but am not sure as I can only judge from the pictures until next week) that the ridges you see are actually visible because the way they color their plastic is different than other manufacturer's, in that they are actually clear ones painted from the inside, any rc modelers or glass blowers should be familiar with the technique. It saves on the production costs and separation as you use the same material for all molds which are then painted as requested. There are certain adhesives that they could use for a no ridge finish but that would make maintenance extremely hard.

Personally, I'm fine with it

I must also say that I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into these, they aren't pooped by a machine and all are unique in a way.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #142 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey powertoold, are the mids on the Super FreQs more detailed than on Super.fi 5 Pros? Because the muffled mids is what I dislike most in my UEs - it sounds as though most instruments and vocals are playing behind a wall. On the other hand, my Shure SE530 mids, for example, are much more detailed and it sounds almost like the singers and instruments are right there in front of you. Do you believe the FreQs might compete against the Shures then? Also, please tell how you think the bass compares on the two phones - you say it's about the same, but don't the FreQs have two woofers for handling the low end vs. only one in the UE SF 5 Pros? I assume that should give the FreQs much better control and definition in the bass vs. SF 5 and more in the league with Shure SE530/UE Triple.fi or if we are talking about customs, I dare say... UE-10 Pro?

I'm not sure about whether the FreQs have two bass drivers or two high frequency drivers (the spec sheet does not say), and I don't really care. From what I can hear, the FreQs have much better mids and highs than the SF5. To me, the mids and highs are as good as the Shure SE530, but the last time I heard them was about two months ago, so you should take this with a grain of salt. The last time I listened to the SE530 along with my SF5, I didn't think the Shures were THAT much better, but when comparing the SF5 to the FreQs on the same source, I feel like the FreQs have a much better sound. It is juicy, clear, and spicy (probably first time this one has been used on Head-fi, haha).

I think in terms of sound performance, the FreQs are as good as any universal fit IEM. They are more comfortable than the SF5, and as of now, I think they are just as comfortable as the Shures. As long as you get a good fit, you won't be unsatisfied with the sound. I was listening to the Rachmaninoff No. 3 finale, and the piano sounds amazing. It was as if I was standing on stage rather than 10 rows back on the SF5, and I don't think it was because I was listening to it louder, but it was because the highs are cleaner and sharper.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #143 of 3,960
glad to hear that about the piano as it is a hell to pull it correctly, a piano without to low end reverberation and mid range resonance, it will sound hollow. Same for cello played on the lower octaves I think, gotta try that too

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #145 of 3,960
Don't all triple driver IEMs use 2 bass drivers and 1 for treble/midrange?

@AudioNoob: You mean like "hand casted"? If so, why can't there be a 1 part mold? All you need is two holes and an inner shell. One for the liquid and one for air release.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #146 of 3,960
I wish they made a universal iem too. A simple triangular ovalar design with a tube that supports shure tips.

Could I just send a model of my custom design? That would be pretty cool considering the price would still be cheap. Not smart considering the free kit but at least I won't outgrow them and lose seal or have that hearing aid look or risk damaging my ears....

just a thought

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #147 of 3,960
ermm they would need a different desing to accomodate three drivers in a more external housing and tube them towards your ear, but you can ask them, they hand mold it. SBD I actually had answered the question before the site went down, but in short, it would kill non-destructive maintainability, and since they handcraft it, the process would be doing an inner shell and coating it with another layer, again hurting the ease of repair and resealing, not to mention the time lost.

I seriously do not understand why you would care about it, it's not a protuberance, it's just visual and it will stay within your ear. I'm sure it's hardly visible in real life

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #149 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ermm they would need a different desing to accomodate three drivers in a more external housing and tube them towards your ear, but you can ask them, they hand mold it. SBD I actually had answered the question before the site went down, but in short, it would kill non-destructive maintainability, and since they handcraft it, the process would be doing an inner shell and coating it with another layer, again hurting the ease of repair and resealing, not to mention the time lost.

I seriously do not understand why you would care about it, it's not a protuberance, it's just visual and it will stay within your ear. I'm sure it's hardly visible in real life

I'm just looking at the livewires that's all b/c picture-wise at least to me, it looks kind of messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back