The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jan 11, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #121 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally recommend getting a professional impression. It's worth the extra money because you don't want to be unsatisfied with the fit and have to send it back. Eventually you'll have to get a professional impression anyway, lol.

I did the impression myself with syringe and stopper and all, but it's not easy, and you feel like you don't know what you're doing. It's easy to mess up and make a bad impression or stab your eardrum or something.

Now you worry me...maybe I should just get the dual/single driver then? There's no way I can pay 40 bucks to have goo stuffed in my ears.
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #123 of 3,960
You mean about phoning around? Please understand that I'm still in high school and can't just be calling everywhere to see an audiologist.

My parents would never take me to a professional for that! Even if it was free it would be hard especially when nobody took me seriously when I paid $70 for headphones (Grado sr60).

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #125 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you worry me...maybe I should just get the dual/single driver then? There's no way I can pay 40 bucks to have goo stuffed in my ears.
frown.gif

They're only your ears. As long as you have less than a 50% failure rate doing the impressions yourself, you won't end up completely deaf, right?

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #127 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally recommend getting a professional impression. It's worth the extra money because you don't want to be unsatisfied with the fit and have to send it back. Eventually you'll have to get a professional impression anyway, lol.

I did the impression myself with syringe and stopper and all, but it's not easy, and you feel like you don't know what you're doing. It's easy to mess up and make a bad impression or stab your eardrum or something.

Just some updated sound impressions: When comparing the FreQs to the SF5, the image of a copper pot comes to mind. The FreQ's sound is an untarnished copper pot whereas the SF5's is kinda dirty. I don't know how else to describe it. The FreQ sound is fresh, clear, and exciting. It is exciting because the highs and mids are really good, as I've said before. The SF5's highs have this annoying reverb sibilance. I don't know how to compare the bass. To me, they're about the same because that's not what I'm concentrating on.

Hey powertoold, are the mids on the Super FreQs more detailed than on Super.fi 5 Pros? Because the muffled mids is what I dislike most in my UEs - it sounds as though most instruments and vocals are playing behind a wall. On the other hand, my Shure SE530 mids, for example, are much more detailed and it sounds almost like the singers and instruments are right there in front of you. Do you believe the FreQs might compete against the Shures then? Also, please tell how you think the bass compares on the two phones - you say it's about the same, but don't the FreQs have two woofers for handling the low end vs. only one in the UE SF 5 Pros? I assume that should give the FreQs much better control and definition in the bass vs. SF 5 and more in the league with Shure SE530/UE Triple.fi or if we are talking about customs, I dare say... UE-10 Pro?

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #128 of 3,960
i took the plunge.. i'm going for all clear with the idea that if it's all one uniform colour, including the tube around the cords, it should then look intentional in the fact that the acryllic has impurities.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #130 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received mine today. I will post my initial thoughts and impressions in my other thread later today.

Nice, I am waiting here.

Please don't be biased.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #133 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean about phoning around? Please understand that I'm still in high school and can't just be calling everywhere to see an audiologist.

My parents would never take me to a professional for that! Even if it was free it would be hard especially when nobody took me seriously when I paid $70 for headphones (Grado sr60).

You know, I can totally understand and sympathize with you. It's one of those things that if you could do it yourself, you can get it, but if you need pro impressions then there's no way your parents would allow it.

I was a high schooler not long a go and if it were me I'd either:
1. Call around/find out where you get get impressions made and get a ride from a friend who drives.

2. Just go with the impression kit they send you. I'm sure it won't be as good as pro impressions, but the end product should definitely be good enough and enjoyable. You can always refit if necessary, even pro impressions sometimes need to be refit. The main difference is actually the lack of depth from the Freqs self-impressions.

So do the first if possible, and if not, just go for the kit. Your probably only like 15 years old? Your ear shape will definitely change in 3-5 years and you can get better impressions/earphones the next time you upgrade!

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #134 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ermm public transportation may ring a bell perhaps?

yay my school does impressions, will send them out today

Ooh I should check if my university does impressions. They do have a "Speech, Language, & Hearing Clinic."
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back