The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Sep 8, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #92 of 787
This is my setup.

As for your suggestion, I have already tried that. I deleted/removed all tags and embedded all the art work again. That did not fix the problem.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #98 of 787
most usefull duck I've ever seen. thanks for your relentless help.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #99 of 787
1. How can I set my output to WASAPI Shared, as opposed to WASAPI exclusive or DirectSound?

2. Is it possible to display the current song progress in digit form anywhere other than the bottom left corner where it is inconvenient to see? Near the seekbar is preferable.

3. Is it possible to change the style of the seekbar without changing skins? Or at least a skin that will only change a minimal amount of things such as the toolbar?

4. Is there an option or plugin anywhere that will automatically start a playlist when I open it?

5. Is there a way to make a hotkey to restart a song other than a hotkey to seek back 10 minutes?

6. Does the SoX resampler (http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373) resample playback when necessary, or is it a tool for permanently resampling a file?

7. Are there alternative Windows file icons available other than the default foobar ones?

8. Is there a way to load files or folders into a playlist with Windows navigation instead of having to drag and drop it or using search?

9. Is there any way to add a UI element that isn't on the popup list? (i.e. This equalizer plugin: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq as opposed to the built-in equalizer which doesn't show numerically how far I've moved the slider but can be added easily as a UI element)

10. Is there an option or plugin to fade volume muting and unmuting? (NOT fading between songs, but a short and smooth volume change fade or fade to pause/stop)

11. What is the generally recommended crossfeed plugin?

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #100 of 787
I'll try and answer a few of these :)

1. How can I set my output to WASAPI Shared, as opposed to WASAPI exclusive or DirectSound?
You can't, the plugin only does exclusive mode. Use DirectSound to allow other applications to make sound.

2. Is it possible to display the current song progress in digit form anywhere other than the bottom left corner where it is inconvenient to see? Near the seekbar is preferable.
I'm pretty sure this can be done using the Text Display 1.1 beta 1 plugin

3. Is it possible to change the style of the seekbar without changing skins? Or at least a skin that will only change a minimal amount of things such as the toolbar?
I don't think this is possible. EDIT: Would the Waveform Seekbar 0.2.45 plugin do what your asking?

4. Is there an option or plugin anywhere that will automatically start a playlist when I open it?
I don't think there is a plugin, but i'm pretty sure that there are swtiches for the foobar2000.exe that will allow you to do this.

5. Is there a way to make a hotkey to restart a song other than a hotkey to seek back 10 minutes?
You could make a new keyboard shortcut for Main > Playback > Play that will restart the current playing song.

6. Does the SoX resampler (http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373) resample playback when necessary, or is it a tool for permanently resampling a file?
There are options in that plugin (modded version) that allows you set certain sample rates not to resample or set certain sample rates to resample. EDIT: if you are using the built in PPHS resampler (which is very good) then it will only resample any sample rates that are not the same as the target sampling rate setting.

7. Are there alternative Windows file icons available other than the default foobar ones?
I'm sure there are if you put your google shoes on.

8. Is there a way to load files or folders into a playlist with Windows navigation instead of having to drag and drop it or using search?
I think there is a limit to how many files can be selected and right click enqueued at once. Also look in the Foobar2000 Preferences > Shell integration to enable Folder context menus. You should really start using the media library for this type of stuff.

9. Is there any way to add a UI element that isn't on the popup list? (i.e. This equalizer plugin: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq as opposed to the built-in equalizer which doesn't show numerically how far I've moved the slider but can be added easily as a UI element)
sorry can't help here

10. Is there an option or plugin to fade volume muting and unmuting? (NOT fading between songs, but a short and smooth volume change fade or fade to pause/stop)
using DirectSound as output allows you to do this. I think the other output methods are designed to be bit perfect so they don't have the option to fade out.

11. What is the generally recommended crossfeed plugin?
I can't help here either

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #101 of 787
I can do 11. \o/ I'm such a star. I can at long last pretend I knew something the Duck didn't !!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/download.html  that's what I use after trying a few crossfeeds. it's subtle with 3 presets and you can tweak a little if you want to.

else if you're really curious about what you can do, I suggest xnor's crossfeed http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=90761

I don't think the rest would bring much to the table.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #102 of 787
I get the following message when playback output is set to "WASAPI (event): SPDIF Out (4-USB2.0 High Speed True HD Audio)".

"Unrecoverable playback error: Invalid argument"

I had been using WASAPI event with digital coaxial cable before, and switched back to USB. Windows sound settings has been adjusted to USB as default.

Music plays fine when playback out is set to "DS: SPDIF Out (4-USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio)". Selecting audio output to WASAPI exclusive mode-USB on qobuz music streaming service, presents no problem either.

I am using Windows 7.

I would like to play music via WASAPI event - USB on foobar. What have I missed settings-wise?

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #103 of 787
  I get the following message when playback output is set to "WASAPI (event): SPDIF Out (4-USB2.0 High Speed True HD Audio)".

"Unrecoverable playback error: Invalid argument"

I had been using WASAPI event with digital coaxial cable before, and switched back to USB. Windows sound settings has been adjusted to USB as default.

Music plays fine when playback out is set to "DS: SPDIF Out (4-USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio)". Selecting audio output to WASAPI exclusive mode-USB on qobuz music streaming service, presents no problem either.

I am using Windows 7.

I would like to play music via WASAPI event - USB on foobar. What have I missed settings-wise?

I'm really not a pro with spdif, but what I think I know(feel the confidence of the guy ^_^) brings 2 points:
-wasapi event is made so that the DAC "asks" for packets and kind of decides the timing. spdif can't use that as it's a continuous stream of stuff. does it work with push? if yes, wel use push ^_^.
-maybe a speed problem? I know spdif can have limits with heavy dolby signals(I ask because I wonder what that "high speed true hd audio is?), so it's possible that going through DS the mixer takes it all down to whatever you have set in windows default ouptut, so the data stream is now small enough to pass through spdif. something that doesn't apply as soon as you tell foobar to use wasapi. 
-maybe just that you go with some 24bit signal and have 16bit output selected (on the screen where you select wasapi so I guess you would have seen it).

edit: the observant guy might notice I make 3 points. that's just me giving 150%
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #104 of 787

Hey castleofargh thanks very much for taking the time 
smily_headphones1.gif

- When I'm using the coaxial cable the audio output is set to "WASAPI (event): Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)" and it works flawlessly. So this would mean that it's not a SPDIF problem?

- "high speed true hd audio" is the default name given to the playback device in my Windows sounds. I had to download a usb driver (Cmedia) for my DAC, the name could have come from there.

- I disabled dolby along with DTS Audio and Microsoft WMA Pro Audio

- All my music files are 16/44.1 CDs copied to ALAC format. Not interested in 24-bit.

* I switched to my Microstreamer, in the same USB port. I am able to play music with foobar playback output as "WASAPI (event): HRT Microstreamer"
* Yes it works with WASAPI push. I'd wanted it as (event) as I'd read it was the optimum setting for foobar. Guess it does not matter much.
Would I be correct in concluding that it's my DAC that does not allow WASAPI event via USB?

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #105 of 787

Hey castleofargh thanks very much for taking the time 
smily_headphones1.gif

- When I'm using the coaxial cable the audio output is set to "WASAPI (event): Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)" and it works flawlessly. So this would mean that it's not a SPDIF problem?

- "high speed true hd audio" is the default name given to the playback device in my Windows sounds. I had to download a usb driver (Cmedia) for my DAC, the name could have come from there.

- I disabled dolby along with DTS Audio and Microsoft WMA Pro Audio

- All my music files are 16/44.1 CDs copied to ALAC format. Not interested in 24-bit.

* I switched to my Microstreamer, in the same USB port. I am able to play music with foobar playback output as "WASAPI (event): HRT Microstreamer"
* Yes it works with WASAPI push. I'd wanted it as (event) as I'd read it was the optimum setting for foobar. Guess it does not matter much.
Would I be correct in concluding that it's my DAC that does not allow WASAPI event via USB?

USB can use several kinds of protocols for the computer to "talk" to the DAC it's usually an automated transparent process, but for advanced stuff(often with DAC doing more than 24/96), you can need a dedicated driver and some special settings. at that point not knowing what the driver is, your guess is as good as mine. 
if you got what you want from push, I'd use that and don't second guess it. even if event is an extra security for some DACs to decide on the streaming speed, there is nothing to say that the speed imposed by the drivers or by selecting "push" on the computer will do anything wrong. and even then, if there is a buffer and a clock in the DAC, chances are that both options wouldn't matter as then the DAC would most likely reclock the streaming itself and don't care how the signal came from the PC.

as a side note, if it's ok with your DAC, I would recommend to set the output in wasapi to 24bit(and that works for everybody that doesn't have something like an old NOS DAC limited to 16bit). it costs really nothing but it gives a bigger place for the bits to move up and down if you use any digital volume control before the DAC. even by being overly dramatic and pessimistic, it should give you at least 20db to play with to set the volume on foobar without any danger of losing the least significant bits of your track. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back