The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Dec 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #106 of 787
Finally I just found this thread. I have two specific technical questions. First: in order to change buttons on foobar you need to use the column plugin? There's no way to change buttons without that?

And second, I am having a really hard time make my foobar to play back sacd material. I use O2/ODAC if it does matter. Anyone could help me please?

Thank you in advance and let's not die this superb thread!

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #107 of 787
I’ve been trying to get Foobar to work with my daughters Ipod Touch.  I can connect my Nano with no problems but hers comes up as “No Ipod found” when it’s connected. 
Her computer is running windows 7 x64.  Foobar is version 1.36 set as a portable player.  Her Ipod Touch 2nd generation running IOS 4.2.1. The support page says it’s supported
I have downloaded and installed the following Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Application Support versions 10.5 and foo_dop.dll. I also checked the enable mobile device support under preferences. I also tried adding Quicktime as well as doing a full I-Tunes install. I latter removed Quicktime and I-tunes.
Am I missing something?  Thanks

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #108 of 787
oh my goodness what a great thread idea.

I'm so sorry if this is a redundant question, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere else so here goes:

How can I change the appearance of the toolbar, seek bar panel, and button panel? The grey is functional but I would love something a bit more sleek 
bigsmile_face.gif

If I can get those parts customized I might be good for a bit

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #109 of 787
Hi all, brand new member here. So much great info on these forums :)

I have quite a specific inquiry about foobar regarding use with external USB DACs. I just recently got the iFi Micro iDSD (which is fabulous btw), and am having an issue with foobar where, upon a track transition involving a change in PCM sample rate or format type (PCM to DSD, or vice-versa) the first half second or so of the track is cut off. This appears to happen regardless of the buffer settings I use within the iFi driver or foobar's output settings. As I understand it, this is due to the hardware having to re-sync at the new sample rate, correct? JRiver has a setting specifically to address this: "play silence at startup for hardware synchronization", which solves the issue. Is there an equivalent functionality achievable within foobar (perhaps via plugins)? I have my whole library organised/tagged with foobar, and would prefer to stick with that if possible, but this problem is very annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #111 of 787
  Finally I just found this thread. I have two specific technical questions. First: in order to change buttons on foobar you need to use the column plugin? There's no way to change buttons without that?

And second, I am having a really hard time make my foobar to play back sacd material. I use O2/ODAC if it does matter. Anyone could help me please?

Thank you in advance and let's not die this superb thread!

I can answer your second question. Your DAC won't decode DSD, so you need to have foobar transcode it on the fly to PCM.

You will need the foo_input_sacd plugin from the zip file here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/

Extract the zip's contents, then in foobar go to preferences > components > install button > browse to the foo_input_sacd file and select it... foobar will restart.

Now for the transcoding part. Your DAC supports up to 96 KHz speeds, so you should output at 88.2 KHz (multiples of 44.1 are best for DSD transcodes).

Go to preferences > tools > SACD, and set:

- ASIO driver mode to PCM
- PCM volume +0dB
- PCM sample rate 88200
- DSD2PCM Mode to whatever you think sounds best (this is where you select the low pass filter).

You should now be able to play your DSD files.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #113 of 787
Hi guys, I wanted to ask if you have any idea of which criteria should I follow for the order of the plugins.
I have noticed that the order completely change the result.
In this moment I am mostly interested in the following plugins:
Resampler (to resample my 44100 to 48000 and match with the settings of the audio card)
Programmable Reverb
Dynamic Compressor
Advanced Limiter
Graphic Equalizer
Dolby Headphones Wrapper (but I still must find a recent dll for dolby headphones)
Channel Mixer and Matrix Mixer

I also wanted to know which Plugins are the best to EQ, to boost the bass, to increase  the soundstage, to improve the sound, and to normalize/anti-clip/limiter/compressor.

Thanks

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #114 of 787
  Hi guys, I wanted to ask if you have any idea of which criteria should I follow for the order of the plugins.
I have noticed that the order completely change the result.
In this moment I am mostly interested in the following plugins:
Resampler (to resample my 44100 to 48000 and match with the settings of the audio card)
Programmable Reverb
Dynamic Compressor
Advanced Limiter
Graphic Equalizer
Dolby Headphones Wrapper (but I still must find a recent dll for dolby headphones)
Channel Mixer and Matrix Mixer

I also wanted to know which Plugins are the best to EQ, to boost the bass, to increase  the soundstage, to improve the sound, and to normalize/anti-clip/limiter/compressor.

Thanks

I would suspect some DSP to be made to run at a given sample rate. but I have no idea if there is a pre-conversion included in the DSP, or if it would just not work(thus giving a different sound depending on when you change the rate? or work but making a different sound because it would apply calculation onto the wrong sample rate??? I'm really too much of a noob in that domain, but maybe the sound differences come from that??????
(you might guess from the number of question marks, that I'm really confident about this^_^)

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #115 of 787
I did not think about that, so you already have at least some interesting ideas :)
I was thinking more about the fact that there is an order to place these things also in a real studio, physical effects.
There is a logic, it is just different if you apply EQ to something compressed or compress something EQed, if you reverb before EQing or EQ before reverbering.
I know that sound technicians know these things.
I just am not one of them :wink:

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #116 of 787
well aren't we 2 overly confident people? ^_^
 in your case, I would probably go with compressor/limiter/EQ last, that way you have real control over the result, because I don't know if something compressed then going through dolby and the matrix stuff, couldn't again reach higher dynamics? but then can't he compressor ruin in part the 3D FX? I have no clue.
and the EQ last simply because there is little point in EQing beforehand.
for the resampler, it's back to my previous post and unwarranted suspicions ^_^.

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #117 of 787
Hi, hopefully someone may be able to give me some advice. I have a pretty decent laptop with Realtek ALC892 soundcard (optical and/or HDMI output) plus Foobar2000. I recently got a 24/96 5.1 ISO of a Beach Boys album and whilst I can hear it across my 5.1 setup ok I'm not 100% sure I've everything config'ed as good as it could be. I've heard that 5.1 HD files can only be played across HDMI as the optical SPDIF doesn't have the bandwith. Is this true?

Additionally, should I be using a bit perfect plug-in such as WASAPI or ASIO?

It seems there's so many areas to fiddle with the sound output I just don't know if I've got the cleanest route through to my 5.1 amp.

I'd be extremely grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #118 of 787
Yes optical has a limit of 2 channel PCM. You can send 5.1 through optical if it's compressed as AC3 so the amp will convert it.

Just install the WASAPI plugin and use the hdmi output. if WASAPI throws any type of error when playing it just telling you that the soundcard\dac\amp doesn't support that bit depth, sample rate or amount of channels.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #119 of 787

I have quite a specific inquiry about foobar regarding use with external USB DACs. I just recently got the iFi Micro iDSD (which is fabulous btw), and am having an issue with foobar where, upon a track transition involving a change in PCM sample rate or format type (PCM to DSD, or vice-versa) the first half second or so of the track is cut off. This appears to happen regardless of the buffer settings I use within the iFi driver or foobar's output settings. As I understand it, this is due to the hardware having to re-sync at the new sample rate, correct? JRiver has a setting specifically to address this: "play silence at startup for hardware synchronization", which solves the issue. Is there an equivalent functionality achievable within foobar (perhaps via plugins)? I have my whole library organised/tagged with foobar, and would prefer to stick with that if possible, but this problem is very annoying.

I'm having the same issue, downloaded the trial of Jriver and that option makes the cutoff dissapear, i wish there is a way to do it in foobar. Any news on this issue?

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #120 of 787

I'm having the same issue, downloaded the trial of Jriver and that option makes the cutoff dissapear, i wish there is a way to do it in foobar. Any news on this issue?

There is a f2k component that plays silence. I have never used it, but looks like it may help with this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back