The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Jan 17, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #211 of 787
24bit, they're the same samples as 16bit but with a bunch of zeros added at the end. so you can go back and forth 50times it won't create any problem adding or removing them is non destructive for the music. output 24bit anywhere you can. as long as the BT headphone is ok with the final signal, it's no problem.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #212 of 787
If you do not yet know TDR Nova you may want to give it a try.
It looks MUCH better than EasyEQ and I think it sounds better and offers more possibilities.

Question: what's the difference between "random" and "shuffle (tracks)" in the Playback/order menu?

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #213 of 787
shuffle can be customized(advanced option), and tries to follow a certain pattern within the randomness(same artist, or 1 full album then another random album in full. etc). random seems to be what it says :).

I no longer use easyQ, because it works fine for the most part and I try to suggest free stuff to people. I use it still for some simple examples that people can try to replicate if they like. last time I was "disappointed" by it, it was because using an EQ for left channel and one different for right created some too obvious phase changes. so compensating for some IEMs that had a few db too much around 5khz on the left(from my own measurements with a mic), didn't end up sounding balanced at all. the soundstage was shifted even thought they now measured the same in frequency response.
it's no big deal and quite the specific problem, so I can't honestly blame a free EQ for trying to offer such a feature. ^_^
Bob Katz explained to me some stuff about IIR vs FIR and linear filter or not, that could affect the imaging. TBH I thought it was all bollocks, but after testing, Mr Katz was absolutely right.

anyway now I've bought DMG equilibrium, which is overkill for my noob amateur needs, but at least it does all I can ever ask of an EQ so I'm done wondering if it me or the EQ. when it sounds bad, it 100% on me now
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #214 of 787
What are FIR and IIR? I know they are filters, but, what do they do, how do they differ, and what does that acronym mean?
Please in less mathematical and complicated terms as possible.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #215 of 787
  What are FIR and IIR? I know they are filters, but, what do they do, how do they differ, and what does that acronym mean?
Please in less mathematical and complicated terms as possible.

it is a vast subject and it has really nothing to do with foobar problems and this topic. maybe go to sound science sub forum to ask about those stuff or look at what already might exist (if you really care)?
even more so that in this case, I'm talking about simulating filter with a digital software so it's yet another topic compared to real FIR filters and stuff in the analog domain.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #216 of 787

it is a vast subject and it has really nothing to do with foobar problems and this topic. maybe go to sound science sub forum to ask about those stuff or look at what already might exist (if you really care)?

???
I thought you were talking of something for Foobar?

I do care, I just have some problems when I have to read long complex technical stuff. It costs me to stay focused on text for more than 5 minutes.
You know, ADS and that stuff. It takes me many hours to write/read something that other people could in half an hour.

So I generally prefer to find people who can explain me things in a simple way, which does not require me to look in Wikipedia every two words.

But if you were not talking of something related to Foobar, it's ok. I'll figure it out.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #217 of 787
  anyway now I've bought DMG equilibrium, which is overkill for my noob amateur needs, but at least it does all I can ever ask of an EQ so I'm done wondering if it me or the EQ. when it sounds bad, it 100% on me now
biggrin.gif

Wow, you went straight for the top eh? lol

What made you go with DMG EQuilibrium over EQuality or EQuick? Possibly even FabFilter Pro-Q 2 (which compares more with EQuick I think)? About to dive into the world of VST EQ's myself. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #218 of 787
Hey Giogio,

My Electri-Q is the free 1.0 version whereas yours is... something else. I've also read another report of the two versions not playing well with each other and causing both to crash until "the something else" is uninstalled. So give that a try :)

Regarding the peak meter, there's a small one that docks into the top panel. That's the one with black clipping "lights" to the right. The big Peak Meter that pops out instead shows clipped levels all the way out to +10dB the same way as it shows unclipped levels. However if your foobar master volume is not maxed out, you will have as much headroom above 0dB as the master volume is below zero. Hope that helps :)

I also made sure that the winamp bridge for foobar that I got is the latest (last) available version; the earlier versions that are widely available on the net right now are explicitly stated by the author to crash with new versions of foobar. So, in short, uninstall other versions of Electri-Q, and copy dsp_eqfree and foo_dsp_winamp.dll from my foobar install to yours.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 18, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #219 of 787

Thanks, but, my Electric-Q is free too. I have downloaded directly from their website.
We may want to go more in detail in PM eventually.

Anyway, I kind of like the TDR Nova more (it also has clipping led).

Where do I find the dockable Peak Meter?
I am using K-Meter which is very precise. It is a plugin, so I use it to check if my EQ setting is clipping or not, and then I close it.
I am experimenting now because since yesterday I have a problem of Foobar ot ending its process in the task manager when I close it, and so not starting again when I want to re-open it. Instead, it opens a new process each time I click on it...
I think it is a fault of Fidelizer which I have installed yesterday, but as sometimes I was able to solve this by taking the k-meter away from the chain, I am still not sure.
The only sure thing is that all this sucks, time. Lot of time.

Did any of you ever perceiv any improvement in sound using Foobar and Fidelizer together? It is difficult to compare because the free version of Fidelizer will not undo its changes to the system till you restart the machine. Ending the process wont work.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #220 of 787
[@=/u/410770/Giogio]@Giogio[/@] 

Thanks, but, my Electric-Q is free too. I have downloaded directly from their website.
We may want to go more in detail in PM eventually.

I'm not saying yours isn't free :) I know there were lots of free versions culminating in Christian Budde closing shop and offering the last version for free (?) on his website.

But I am saying that the original v1.0 "posihfopit" version (no longer appearing on Christian's website) is the one that works :)

Whatever the case, we all ought to buy Christian a case of beer for the great work he did. Function-wise it's as though he outdid all his paid offering with the original free trial :xf_eek:

Where do I find the dockable Peak Meter?

Right click on the dock...

Did any of you ever perceiv any improvement in sound using Foobar and Fidelizer together? It is difficult to compare because the free version of Fidelizer will not undo its changes to the system till you restart the machine. Ending the process wont work.

I haven't tried Fidelizer. What windows version are you on?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 18, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #221 of 787

biggrin.gif

Wow, you went straight for the top eh? lol

What made you go with DMG EQuilibrium over EQuality or EQuick? Possibly even FabFilter Pro-Q 2 (which compares more with EQuick I think)? About to dive into the world of VST EQ's myself. 
beerchug.gif

yeah it was a little excessive, no doubt about it. I'm not sure I remember right, but I think EQuick didn't offer left and right EQ(that I really don't use much outside of making some dedicated µSD for a given IEM that has a big imbalance(so I do that maybe 3 times a year, but I'm glad I have it).
and I didn't try equality but it seemed as if there was a limit in the number of points we can use???(would need to check I might be wrong about that). same thing, for day to day EQ I do not need 20 points, but sometimes when I go crazy and do some of the stuff Joe Bloggs shows in his EQ tutos, I'm glad to have big supply of points.
and the DMG guy is clever, there are little settings and UI tricks you only have on the more expensive stuff. you can do the same with all, but it's a little faster/friendlier on equilibrium  once you have customized the UI(very customizable).
also some have the linear filter option, other don't I think. it ends up with a lot of little things in settings or interface that most would never care about. but I guess actual pros might have a rational need for those stuff. but a pro I'm not ^_^.

didn't try proQ, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be an amazing EQ(as like DMG, so many pros use it). I sure value the proQ tutos on youtube, they're a treasure of information and very well made even for a noob like me. so I guess learning from them while using proQ could also be a nice bonus to get up to speed in the EQ world. but even with another EQ those videos are very clear.

for day to day EQ without fancy left/right channel tweaks, I believe EQuick to be great. I paid extra for some stuff most people don't care about and there would be no point in paying for something we don't use. in fact I believe most free EQs to be great for day to day EQ. I just happened to test the trial version of equilibrium and cried when I had to go back to using easyQ. but it's really ease of use more than sound difference that decided me to pay. I'm not trained or young enough to tell if an EQ actually sounds better than another(unless it's a really crappy non parametric EQ).

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #222 of 787
Does anybody know where Foobar stores the presets of the DSP chain? I have a lot of them which I need to delete. Doing it one by one is going to be slooow...

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #223 of 787
Hello guys, I'm resampling some hi-res flac (88, 96, 176, 192khz - 24bit) to 44.1 or 48khz - 16bit files on foobar. I'm using SOX resampler which I've heard has built-in dither (please confirm).

Question is if SOX resampler plugin does have built-in dither, do I need to apply dither at the file output setting as well (pic below) or is that redundant and not necessary? If the latter, how does it affect sound quality?

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #224 of 787
Does anybody know how to make Foobar the default program to play Audio CD (I find no option for that in Foobar and by opening AutoPlay in Win7 I am only listed VCL)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back