The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Feb 6, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #241 of 787
  How do I use a VST wrapper and something like Electri-Q? I don't quite understand how to get the two to worth together..

Also, can anybody input with my question below?
Quote:
Hello guys, I'm resampling some hi-res flac (88, 96, 176, 192khz - 24bit) to 44.1 or 48khz - 16bit files on foobar. I'm using SOX resampler which I've heard has built-in dither (please confirm).

Question is if SOX resampler plugin does have built-in dither, do I need to apply dither at the file output setting as well (pic below) or is that redundant and not necessary? If the latter, how does it affect sound quality?

you install VST 2.4 adapter in foobar's components tab( in file->preferences->components)
you install any VST(like electriQ) in the VST plug in tab (should be right under the component one in preferences).
you need to restart foobar so that it will load the added stuff, then go to the DSP manager tab (under playback) and move electriQ to the left to use it. at that point electriQ should show up in foobar under view->DSP along with any other DSP you have added to the left in preferences with the DSP manager.

about SOX, I hoped that someone with actual knowledge would show up but I guess I'm all you've got, which isn't much. the SOX plugin for foobar is a resampler and doesn't care about bit depth and so doesn't care about dither. with SOX ( the real deal outside of foobar) and advanced commands you can specify a all lot of things, including bit depth and dither. but I don't think that applies to the default sox plugin for foobar which really is a basic resampler(or maybe I missed something?).
now if you convert to a lower bit depth, IMO dither is always welcome. the circled option on your screenshot is applied at the end after all the possible DSPs you included to your conversion.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #242 of 787
In the sox plugin it's called aliasing but s far s i understood is same as dither.

About the vst wrapper he asked for electriq and that would not work with the wrapper you say. It would crash.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #243 of 787
In the sox plugin it's called aliasing but s far s i understood is same as dither.

About the vst wrapper he asked for electriq and that would not work with the wrapper you say. It would crash.

I'd say no to both ^_^.   anti aliasing is a matter of where/how to low pass the signal, to get it band limited and remove any possible unwanted ultrasound energy. so it makes sense in a resampling process to apply a new frequency limit.
dither is all about noise near the least significant bit, to mask the quantization noise. so it makes sense when you lower the bit depth of a signal, as it creates a new louder quantization noise that may benefit dithering.
those are 2 very different things.

and about the wrapper crashing with electriq, I just added electriQ and made this amazing EQ and screenshot. no crash.

not that electriQ is stable, it does crash a lot when you manipulate settings, then it's fine if left alone to play music. but when I started with foobar I had the other wrapper and electriQ was still the most unstable VST I had. I don't believe the wrapper is the cause of the problem.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #244 of 787

those are 2 very different things.
I don't believe the wrapper is the cause of the problem.

Thanks, I did not know.

I also believe the problem is ElectricQ, but Joe seems to think that some wrappers solve the problem.
Anyway you are right, when no manipulation, no crash.

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #246 of 787
What do you guys use for Parametric EQ?

First of all, you should consider that there are parametric EQ which are not graphic, I mean, without the graphic curve, but just with knobs.
As long as you can decide freq and Q, it is parametric.
Phase EQ is excellent.
NCL EQ is from the same guy, different approach.
Then, with graphic curves:
Filtrate LE
ReaEQ and ReaFir
TB Equalizer V3
TB Nova

None of them needs any wrapper. None of them ever crashes.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #247 of 787
Hi everyone,

I searched this thread and some other and couldn't find an answer to my question below:
I have Windows 7 Pro, Foobar2000 and iBasso D14 dac/amp that supports up to 384/32 bit. However, I am unable to play 352/24 flacs from my laptop using Foobar but I can play it from my android phone connected to the D14 mentioned above without problem using UAPP player.
Is there a way to play those files from my computer wether through Foobar or another software?

Thank you

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #248 of 787
Not a lot of info to work with...
Have you installed any drivers for the iBasso? If so, do they show up in foobar? Is there a control panel for them? Can you play any files at all? Up to what resolution?

One thing that comes to mind if the native playback at this resolution is not available, you can always try using a resampler and get the bit rate down to 96k or lower if necessary.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #249 of 787
Hi everyone,

I searched this thread and some other and couldn't find an answer to my question below:
I have Windows 7 Pro, Foobar2000 and iBasso D14 dac/amp that supports up to 384/32 bit. However, I am unable to play 352/24 flacs from my laptop using Foobar but I can play it from my android phone connected to the D14 mentioned above without problem using UAPP player.
Is there a way to play those files from my computer wether through Foobar or another software?

Thank you

are you sure your phone doesn't just downsample the file before sending it? is there a way to check the resolution the D14 is receiving? sorry I'm bringing more questions than answers, I have never even owned that kind of file, and have no device that could play them , so I can't even hope to test your situation.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #250 of 787
Not a lot of info to work with...
Have you installed any drivers for the iBasso? If so, do they show up in foobar? Is there a control panel for them? Can you play any files at all? Up to what resolution?

One thing that comes to mind if the native playback at this resolution is not available, you can always try using a resampler and get the bit rate down to 96k or lower if necessary.

Latest Windows driver is already installed and the device does show up under output in Foobar control panel and that is the one selected.
The next highest flac that I have beside the 352/24 is 192/24 which plays normal.
Whenever I try to play the 352 I get Foobar error message.
As for down sampling, I bought one album at this resolution to compare it with mp3 320kbps so I am not looking to down sample it.
Thank you

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #251 of 787
are you sure your phone doesn't just downsample the file before sending it? is there a way to check the resolution the D14 is receiving? sorry I'm bringing more questions than answers, I have never even owned that kind of file, and have no device that could play them , so I can't even hope to test your situation.

UAPP on android shows the file rate being played and at which rate the device is receiving/playing the song and in this case both are showing 352/24.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #252 of 787
Hi everyone,

Thank you

Problem solved. Now I can play flac 352/24 on my pc through my D14 dac/amp. I follow these steps
http://audinst.com/en/faqs/2441

However, there are tiny skipping/jitter/ticking, not sure how to explain it, when playing these files. Have anyone had such effect when playing other formats or rates and how it was solved? 

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #253 of 787
It's a small question, but important for me nonetheless, How do you make the playlist work when you change your music directory? I move most of (if not all) of my saved track into external HD as some app need room to be installed, but now i'm at lost on how to use my extensively used Playlist... will be anxiously waiting for response from you guys... thanks :)

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #254 of 787
The trick is to move the files using the f2k itself, not the explorer.
You can highlight the content of a playlist (or part of it) and go File Operations -> Move To... 
This way all the open playlists referring to that file will be updated at the same time.

I'm not sure though if there is a smart way to restore the orphan entries in a playlist - for that you may have to re-insert them into the playlist from the new location.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #255 of 787
The trick is to move the files using the f2k itself, not the explorer.
You can highlight the content of a playlist (or part of it) and go File Operations -> Move To... 
This way all the open playlists referring to that file will be updated at the same time.

I'm not sure though if there is a smart way to restore the orphan entries in a playlist - for that you may have to re-insert them into the playlist from the new location.
Thanks ☺ will try it out.
Though thinking again, i means i have to create a duplicate as back up first isn't it? As it will break my current sort by Artist folder structure... And choosing them one by one when one track isn't playable is a bit of a chore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back