The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #4,996 of 6,678
I am waiting for my mh334 to arrive and just saw that the massdrop k10u has started. I didn't have a chance to try the k10. Is the sound similar to the mh334? Price wise is tempting...... us$899. By the way, will be using my mh334 with my Hugo and a glove audio A1 with a AK120.

Haven't tried the K10, but if the K10 sounds similar with the newer Kaiser Encore; then the only similarity with the MH334 is that they both sounded on the warmer side. Based on my memory, the Encore have better resolution, less intimate vocals, and better treble extension while the MH334 vocals are more full bodied with a flat upper mids which should make it sound more mellow-ish and less fatiguing.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #4,997 of 6,678
I just received my fitear parterre and a wagnus vokshod cable. The pairing was much better than the 006 cable and whiplash twag. Better extension on both end especially the bass. Listening to Diana Krall Turn Up The Quiet album on my Hugo with QP1R. Love it.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #4,998 of 6,678
I was thinking about getting a FitEar earphones for a long time now but I just can't get over the fact they don't disclose driver configuration! Two have caught my interest: FitEar Custom because it's a shallower fit which might be more comfortable and FitEar Aya because it's 3D printed (better fit?).

That said, is it just me or do 3D printed IEMs look more flimsy than those made using traditional methods? Every time I see UE I'm thinking "they might sound good but they don't look like $1k+"

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #4,999 of 6,678
I was thinking about getting a FitEar earphones for a long time now but I just can't get over the fact they don't disclose driver configuration! Two have caught my interest: FitEar Custom because it's a shallower fit which might be more comfortable and FitEar Aya because it's 3D printed (better fit?).

That said, is it just me or do 3D printed IEMs look more flimsy than those made using traditional methods? Every time I see UE I'm thinking "they might sound good but they don't look like $1k+"
If I'm not mistaken, it's only the Custom model that they don't reveal the driver configuration. They do for the other models.

Which part of the Aya's 3D do you feel looks flimsy?

Of all the CIEMs I've tried, to me FitEar has been the best fitting. In terms of durability, my MH335DW-SR only broke after several years and that's because I dropped it one time too many. In fact whilst others were complaining about their brands' stem cracking, etc. I didn't see that on my FitEars. For my musical tastes, I personally keep going back to FitEars (my current being the Titan).

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #5,000 of 6,678
If I'm not mistaken, it's only the Custom model that they don't reveal the driver configuration. They do for the other models.

Which part of the Aya's 3D do you feel looks flimsy?

Of all the CIEMs I've tried, to me FitEar has been the best fitting. In terms of durability, my MH335DW-SR only broke after several years and that's because I dropped it one time too many. In fact whilst others were complaining about their brands' stem cracking, etc. I didn't see that on my FitEars. For my musical tastes, I personally keep going back to FitEars (my current being the Titan).
I haven't seen Aya in real life but it doesn't look flimsy in the photos (probably due to opaque shells). I think the only 3D printed CIEMs I've seen are Ultimate Ears and they do look flimsy. Oh and 64audio and they look a bit better but the 3D printed shell still looks quite thin. I wonder if that's the tech or the process.

I couldn't find the driver configuration for Aya anywhere either. It just says balanced armature on the website.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #5,001 of 6,678

I am intrigued by the Custom too! I regretted that i didn't try them when i visited E-Earphone back in August, as the impressions and the FR Graphs seems too show that it is the IEM that i am looking for. When i tried the 334SR i saw one guy already trying the Custom, and it looks better build than the UE18+ ToGo that i tried upstairs. Hopefully they will release the Custom and SR mods here in Indonesia soon, i'm really looking forward to both of them.

I'm not sure about other models, but my MH334 has a higher serial number than some of the newer Universals (which was released on the middle of this year) and it has a short stem and three bores. I assume they have applied the "short leg-form" for all their offerings, as both SR models now can be ordered straight off the shelf.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #5,002 of 6,678
I haven't seen Aya in real life but it doesn't look flimsy in the photos (probably due to opaque shells). I think the only 3D printed CIEMs I've seen are Ultimate Ears and they do look flimsy. Oh and 64audio and they look a bit better but the 3D printed shell still looks quite thin. I wonder if that's the tech or the process.

I couldn't find the driver configuration for Aya anywhere either. It just says balanced armature on the website.
If you can see and try, that's your best option. To me, especially with regards to the connector, I like FitEar's the best. I've had problems with Westone-like 2 pin connectors get loose over time and the cables pop out of the IEMs.

As for configuration, these days I think FitEar has been getting more and more vague (e.g. Customs don't even tell you what's in side) is that they'd like listeners to enjoy for what they sound like - not what's inside. I think this is a good idea too as these days you have makers that boast 10 - 14 driver configs per channel, but that doesn't really say -anything- about sound.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #5,003 of 6,678
Are they doing the shorter stem on all models? That's one of the things that makes me really interested in FitEar.

The universal version of Custom (Universal Custom? Custom Universal? :p) was actually surprisingly comfortable. My ears hate almost everything but that one was really good. I think this is due to oval stem. Most earphones that agree with me have oval stems (T8iE for instance) or the stem has to be very narrow. I also tried ToGo 334 and really didn't like that one. Sounded really hollow with no bass. Maybe the tuning is for different music.

It looked for a while like there might've been a sale of Custom at Fujiya-Avic festival (there was a big banner) but that since has disappeared.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #5,004 of 6,678
Are they doing the shorter stem on all models? That's one of the things that makes me really interested in FitEar.

The universal version of Custom (Universal Custom? Custom Universal? :p) was actually surprisingly comfortable. My ears hate almost everything but that one was really good. I think this is due to oval stem. Most earphones that agree with me have oval stems (T8iE for instance) or the stem has to be very narrow. I also tried ToGo 334 and really didn't like that one. Sounded really hollow with no bass. Maybe the tuning is for different music.

It looked for a while like there might've been a sale of Custom at Fujiya-Avic festival (there was a big banner) but that since has disappeared.

I am not quite sure, we might have to ask for their confirmation first whether if they do it on all models; as a reference this is how my MH334 looks like :

ku4leot.jpg

PwGiKqu.jpg

8x2FJzI.jpg

As a whole they looked big, but if you compare the nozzle to the main body, it doesn't extend very far.

I have a pair of small ears, and when i try the Fitear demo here at Jaben Jakarta it is quite uncomfortable to wear them for longer periods. Actually, one of the main reason i choose the 334 over the 335 is that if they ever release the SR upgrade, the 334 would be better as it doesn't need to have 3 bores for the mod. I'm regretting my decision quite a bit now lol

The Universal looks great from online pics, if the Custom is not going to be released here i hope they do release the Universal. I found the TG334 to have a bit more mid bass to me than my MH334, and both of them are usually great when paired with male vocals or a heavy/chesty female focal; very intimate and it sounded as if the singer is performing exclusively for you. If you have a chance you might want to try the Monet17 for a fun bass with longer decay or the MH335DW for a much bigger bass as if it is from a dynamic driver.

I envy the Japanese market, it looked like a portable audio heaven over there. The first time i step into E-Earphone i think i almost forgot to close my mouth in awe :beyersmile:

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #5,005 of 6,678
Those stems look pretty standard for Fitear. They've always been a bit shorter than other brands because Fitear is designed to seal with the body of the ciem rather than just the stem.

I wouldn't worry about fit on any Fitear model. I've never heard of anyone requiring a refit from them, they are seriously perfectionists in this respect. I have two pairs and both fit perfectly.

As for driver specs I expect Fitear stopped mentioning this because this has become such an "arms race" among other manufacturers, and Fitear has no interest in participating. They probably don't want people judging them based on spec sheets. The Titan has a single BA and a single dynamic driver and it's one of the best ciems I've heard!

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #5,006 of 6,678
Those stems look pretty standard for Fitear. They've always been a bit shorter than other brands because Fitear is designed to seal with the body of the ciem rather than just the stem.

I wouldn't worry about fit on any Fitear model. I've never heard of anyone requiring a refit from them, they are seriously perfectionists in this respect. I have two pairs and both fit perfectly.

As for driver specs I expect Fitear stopped mentioning this because this has become such an "arms race" among other manufacturers, and Fitear has no interest in participating. They probably don't want people judging them based on spec sheets. The Titan has a single BA and a single dynamic driver and it's one of the best ciems I've heard!

Wow, i thought mine was already a short leg version, compared to my JH5 it might be 1cm shorter already.
I agree about the fit, it doesn't break seal whilst eating, smiling or yawning in my experience.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5,007 of 6,678
Is it possible to get a different cable when ordering? I would've impulse-bought the FitEar Custom but I really didn't like the 005 cable. 006 costs the same and I like it a lot but there's no option to chose.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #5,009 of 6,678
I tried FitEar Air 2 yesterday. If I understood correctly it has 2 dynamic drivers and 1 BA.

I only had my phone with me which is a poor source but I tried that phone with a number of earphones so I have some baseline. For instance I tried Titan before and it sounded deep and impactful. I had to crank the volume up though. Or MH335DW which is more sensitive and didn't need that much power.

Air 2 is less sensitive than any of them. With my phone I can't get much volume out of it even all the way up. But regardless of the volume, the bass didn't pack any punch. I listened to James Blake Retrograde which has a very interesting mix of vocals and low-end and the low-end just wasn't there. It sounded smooth but without low-end it's a completely different track. I'm going to the show again today and will probably have another listen, this time on my laptop. I wonder if it's going to make a difference.

EDIT: after queueing up several times I had a chance to compare Air 2 to other FitEar earphones, mostly vs MH335DW. In the end I actually ended up liking Air 2 a lot. The sound is warmer than MH335DW and that was great for the kind of music I like to listen to (electronic, synthwave, etc). But the lack of bass kinda kills it. It packs no punch! In contrast MH335DW has plenty, maybe even tad too much bass but sounds more clinical, more hollow. Air 2 is almost what I'd consider a very enjoyable earphone. But the way it is I wouldn't drop 160k on it. Also tried Air 1 for a few minutes but didn't like it compared to Air 2.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #5,010 of 6,678
I tried the Air2 yesterday (Day 2 of the show). Quick chat with Suyama-san, the Air2 has a lot in common to the Titan internally. But FR-wise, different. As there were fewer ppl around at the show yesterday I manage to get more than 5 mins of listening so I managed to compare the Air2 to the Air, Titan, and my MH335DW-SR. The Air2 sounded closer to the Titan whilst the original Air sounded closer to the MH335DW-SR.

The Air2 was more balanced than the Air but still has bass weight to it. Trebles were extended although not as "airy" as the Titans. The Titans sounded more neutral-ish. The Air placed more warmth and depth to vocal too. The original Air is a little more efficient than the Air2. I found to volume match, I''m pumping up the volume a little more on my iBasso DX200.

The original Air seemed more closed staging and an even weightier sound that's closer to the MH335DW-SR.

Overall the Air2 from a sound signature is more to my liking than the Air in that it has more treble extension, still has the bass weight and more open sounding. Between the Air2 and Titan, I think it depends on genre, mood, and preference of signatures.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back