The first song you listen to when you get new headphones
Oct 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #76 of 85
Keith303's "absolutely intersteller"

Keith is one of the worlds best master'er's and just so happened to make one of my favorite songs of all time. 

It's mastered to have frequency's flipped between the right and left channels to make it feel like the sound is sweeping around your head.

He goes much farther than your average producer to make his music sound amazing. 

On top of that, the song has all the right frequencies to use for testing, wonderful vocals enlaced, a really strong bass presense, and sparkly highs jumping all around your head.

The song was practically MADE for testing headphones. 

-cheers

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #77 of 85
my only problem with using electronic music is that you really have no idea what its *supposed* to sound like. With a Piano, cello, or horn you know with certainty, exactly what it should sound like. This makes setting a reference a lot easier. i love RJD2 but only after i get it dialed in.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #78 of 85

Quote:
my only problem with using electronic music is that you really have no idea what its *supposed* to sound like. With a Piano, cello, or horn you know with certainty, exactly what it should sound like. This makes setting a reference a lot easier. i love RJD2 but only after i get it dialed in.

I listen to primarily trance/drum and bass/ and hip hop, and non of those genre's have a need for being timbrally correct.

I also do listen to classic rock/metal, but i have different test songs for that.

So i guess its what your in to that counts.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #80 of 85

Quote:

Agreed.  For tube rolling and that type of thing where timbre is vital, anything by Paul Simon is really good.  His music is very organic but has enough complexity to still listen for detail.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #81 of 85
We all test headphones with the genres we listen to, that only makes sense.  So for those of us who listen to EDM, we will of course listen to those type of tracks first.  After I've gone through a couple albums, I'll switch over to some Metal and Alternative to see if its tonality is accurate.  

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #82 of 85
Diana Krall - Temptation:  Great upright bass lines

Cowboy Junkies - Mining for Gold - Trinity Session:  Wonderful, breathy Acapella vocals, with some background ambient sounds in the church where it was recorded.

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan:  Horns, guitar, percussion, vocals and Prat

Just about anything off of Burning Sky - Simple Man:  Liquid rich guitar, Andean flute and bass

Dire Straights - Ride Across the River or Brothers in Arms:  Brilliant electric guitar, vocals, both quite haunting, and I just like them...

These always get first or near first listen with any new gear.  I like them, I know them well, and they seem to feature areas of music that are important to me.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #83 of 85

Quote:
This may sound boring but I always play DSOTM. I know the album and it is a great work-out for equipment. 

If you are close to a recording then you have all your years of experience to judge the response your getting from gear. At times your surprised and at times let down.

Nice!  Well said, and a great piece of music!  Wow - two posts in a row by me - better get out of here!

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #84 of 85
Jane Monheit: anything off "Taking A Chance On Love"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back