The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Dec 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #47 of 902
If constructed to do so a balanced amp can generate a balanced signal from a single ended signal (my desktop RudiStor RPX-100 has 2 sets og singled ended inputs and 1 set of balanced inputs) all of them going out as balanced if using the balanced outputs. So a balanced source is not required.

I'm all for balancing in my home rig so will follow this thread closely.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #48 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If constructed to do so a balanced amp can generate a balanced signal from a single ended signal (my desktop RudiStor RPX-100 has 2 sets og singled ended inputs and 1 set of balanced inputs) all of them going out as balanced if using the balanced outputs. So a balanced source is not required.

I'm all for balancing in my home rig so will follow this thread closely.

yea but to maximize its performance, a balanced source is a "must". what is a balanced portable source?

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #50 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea but to maximize its performance, a balanced source is a "must". what is a balanced portable source?

What are you wanting the balanced source to do?

Are you wanting the balanced source for driving a balanced, differential input for the purpose of common-mode noise rejection? Or are you wanting it as a convenient means of providing an inverted signal to drive the inputs of a pair of bridged amplifier channels?

se

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #51 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, the size of this one fits into the current high caliber of IEM's very well it would seem.

A bit confused here, but what does this even mean?

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #52 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit confused here, but what does this even mean?

The other portable is for Stax, electrostatic (the first used C cells and would have weighed quite a bit, agreed? and the second Stax portable for electrostatic ear buds). That is a bit different from a balanced portable that can be used with any number of IEM's adapted for that purpose with the right termination or even PortaPros, which I have listened to and have in balanced, or other non demanding phones. In other words it is a versatile portable balanced amp for a completely different type of driver.

By size I also refer to having a very small balanced amp that can easily fit into a pocket and which is more in proportion with the ultra portability of IEM's vs headphones.

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #53 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this thing need a balanced source?

No it does not. It takes the single ended signal & split the phase to two signals equal to each others but out of phase 180 degree. One is positive & the other is negative.
Ray Samuels

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #56 of 902
I have heard balanced amps that do an excellent job splitting a single ended input into a balanced signal, including the RSA A-10 - where I could not distinguish when I was listing to the Meridian CDP via single ended signal and when I was listening to the balanced signal. The soundstage and separation was equally as good with either signal. I was able to hear the difference between the tubes in the SE circuit vs the balanced circuit, as they were different brands and sounded slightly different in tone (SE tube was an Amperex that was slightly more rolled off than the ones in the balanced circuit).

My SP Square Wave XL also does a great job converting SE sources to balanced, and there are others that use phase splitters or input transformers to accept an SE source and convert it to balanced. So, a balanced source is not mandatory.

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #57 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard balanced amps that do an excellent job splitting a single ended input into a balanced signal...

The question is, are the benefits of going balanced worth it compared to the costs. It seems that this amp does not have the new/superior digital volume control that so many are thrilled with in other new portable amps....... net gain is........?

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #58 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question is, are the benefits of going balanced worth it compared to the costs. It seems that this amp does not have the new/superior digital volume control that so many are thrilled with in other new portable amps....... net gain is........?

only one way to find out, by trying out the amp for yourself! hopefully, we'll get to do that at canjam 2010, if the final product is not completed by then.

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #60 of 902
OH~~~That`s goood news!
L3000.gif

but i have question.Can single end cable transformed to balanced cable by using
adapter??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back