The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Dec 12, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #18 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is a balanced amp.Will this have enough grunt to drive other Headphones.

You can google balanced amp. I imagine this will be mostly for IEM's and refined for that purpose.

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JHPRO13 sound amzing with single ended portable amps, but at the RMAF, the PRO13, were wired in a balanced configuration & driven by the Apache balanced headphone amp, the presentation was like a breath of fresh air, the sound stage literary put you into a trance.

Considering no portable sources generate a balanced signal, how does the amp create the balanced signal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not a mini XLR?

se

Why not a TRRS? As far as I can see, a portable with a plug that doesn't rotate is a recipe for disaster.

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not a TRRS?

That would seem to be the more natural way to go, though you'd have to deal with the eventuality of someone plugging in a TRS.

se

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 902
just to clarify this question that i have: in order to use an iem with this amp, i will have to

a) get a adaptor, one side which will connect to the amp, and the other ( probably a 3.5mm female) which will connect to the jack of my iem

b) reterminated my iem.

if the above 2 options both work, will one option be better than the other???

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 902
You can create a balanced output signal from a balanced output transformer or opamps. Not hard to do and it works well. Great control of the drivers.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just to clarify this question that i have: in order to use an iem with this amp, i will have to

a) get a adaptor, one side which will connect to the amp, and the other ( probably a 3.5mm female) which will connect to the jack of my iem

b) reterminated my iem.

if the above 2 options both work, will one option be better than the other???

well option a would negate most of the benefits to using a ballanced amp, so i would stick with option b

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well option a would negate most of the benefits to using a ballanced amp, so i would stick with option b

precisely what i suspected...

it will be a pain in the ass if you have alot of iems, but if you have only 1 or 2, then it won't be so bad.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #25 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can create a balanced output signal from a balanced output transformer or opamps.

Providing the amp has balanced inputs in the first place.

Quote:

Not hard to do and it works well. Great control of the drivers.

Control of the drivers is a function of output impedance, not whether the output is balanced or not. If you bridge two single ended outputs to achieve a balanced output, you'll effectively double the output impedance over the same single ended output and therefore have less control of the drivers.

se

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #26 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering no portable sources generate a balanced signal, how does the amp create the balanced signal?

This was the first thing that came to mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Providing the amp has balanced inputs in the first place.

It looks like a standard 3.5mm jack...

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #28 of 902
protector-630.jpg

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #30 of 902
i won't expect a chasis anytime soon, at least not till a few weeks before pre-order starts, which i'm guessing is half a year away. ray should be aiming for a summer release, though it will be nice if he can get it ready for canjam 2010.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back