The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 8, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #12,031 of 17,481
  i expected x3 to sound like a better version of iphone 5. x3 is abit too dark sounding, i expected better resolution, cleanness, nice body, volume and soundstage, without shrill highs. disadvantage of iphone is that its sometimes too bright. why is it so hard to get a clean and detailed sound like my desktop system. which player would you recommend to me? i cant even change the sound of x3 because theres no eq...so stupid. how can a player without any EQ be rated so high.

and they put some binaural tracks in internal storage to make it sound good..ridiculous. even that doesnt sound amazing.

When you say that there is no EQ, you can increase and decrease both the bass and treble by 10db. It does a very clean job too since it is hardware. Have you tried adjusting that at all yet?

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #12,033 of 17,481
  i expected x3 to sound like a better version of iphone 5. x3 is abit too dark sounding, i expected better resolution, cleanness, nice body, volume and soundstage, without shrill highs. disadvantage of iphone is that its sometimes too bright. why is it so hard to get a clean and detailed sound like my desktop system. which player would you recommend to me? i cant even change the sound of x3 because theres no eq...so stupid. how can a player without any EQ be rated so high.

and they put some binaural tracks in internal storage to make it sound good..ridiculous. even that doesnt sound amazing.

Hi. May I ask what earphones/headphones do you use with your iPhone 5 or the X3? And what do you use with your desktop system? I'm just curious about the gear you usually use which makes you feel that the X3 does not sound good or clean.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #12,034 of 17,481
On FW 2.14 beta there is more than just bass and treble EQ. you can adjust several different frequencies because I think it shares some of its firmware with the X5.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8mstmdpypw1dk7d/x3+FW2.14beta_volumemod.zip

I think the EQ is great on the FW 3.0 anyway so I don't use this.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #12,035 of 17,481

Sounds like you want the X5 based on what you are looking for in SQ, and it has an EQ. :)

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #12,036 of 17,481
  Hi. May I ask what earphones/headphones do you use with your iPhone 5 or the X3? And what do you use with your desktop system? I'm just curious about the gear you usually use which makes you feel that the X3 does not sound good or clean.

i have UM miracles + toxic cable scorpion with fiio x3

vs

harman kardon soundsticks 2 + sound blaster x-fi extreme audio

soundsticks cost like 150eur lol and they sound soo good

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #12,037 of 17,481

You can go with astell&kern

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #12,038 of 17,481
  HI guys,

first time poster. been reading this and few other treads for a while now. I am after an IEM for my Fiio X3. I also have the Fiio E12. My budget is about 200-250 GBP. I was thinking of the Dunu DN1000 and then did some reading on the Dunu DN2000. Recently I also came across VSonic GR07 as to be a good match with it. I also read about Hifiman RE-400.I am open to suggestions. I am also saving up for a DAC so if the marginal gain isnt too much then i will like to spend little less if possible.

I like little warmer/tubish sound. detailed but not too harsh treble. and a good sound stage. Not sure if i managed to explain what im looking for correctly. The headphone setup that i own are Bottlehead crack+ speedball with HD650, iFi Micro iCan with AKG702 and HE-400. I like the cracks sound alot but the hifiman is also fun from time to times. I use the hifiman with E12 and X3 often indoors :)

no suggestions for me? :frowning2:

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #12,039 of 17,481
Sounds like you want the X5 based on what you are looking for in SQ, and it has an EQ.
smily_headphones1.gif

is x5 brighter,cleaner and airy sounding? and of course with better with a resolution at least just as good as x3

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #12,040 of 17,481
Make the comparison using good headphones. Listen carefully several tracks, to see details, not the binaural ones.
Used to have soundsticks and trade them by studio monitors.
At first I felt rhe same as you, had to listen carefully several tracks and compare to see the sq from the x3.using the same headphone with different sources, same track without eq.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #12,041 of 17,481
You can go with astell&kern

Already suggested that earlier... 
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking a Rockboxed Clip+ since it has an excellent 5 band equalizer. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #12,042 of 17,481

no suggestions for me? :frowning2:

People really have to have heard those IEM's on an X3 to give you answers. The best place to ask would be in ljokersl thread that covers 319 IEM's.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-319-iems-compared-t-peos-d200r-added-08-01-14-p-947

Or in the specific threads of either the DUNU 1000 / 2000 etc...

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #12,044 of 17,481

is x5 brighter,cleaner and airy sounding? and of course with better with a resolution at least just as good as x3

What?? You want clean and airy sounding and you did a comparison with 'Wicked Game' ? Something isn't right here. That track is the musical equivalent to a TV commercial. Crushed to death victim of the loudness wars. The master sounds just like an MP3. How do expect to tell the difference? I have the same sound board you refer to in my DAW. The biggest difference is the PC noise floor. Not there with X3. Are you using the 'X-Fi Crystalizer'? Could make a difference.
Also X3 has the superior DAC. X5 uses a dated TI unit that even the mfg. no longer supports. Go figure.
Try making a comparison with a true purist engineered track. A new listening experience maybe, but if your heading for Hi Def  lossless audio it may change.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3z85tm6jgbabi58/Patron_Saint_of_Girls.flac

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #12,045 of 17,481

Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes, better resolution than X3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back