The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Aug 4, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #1,741 of 3,613
To consider this DAP I would need to be convinced that it makes sense financially. With an IPod classic 160 gb hovering around $220 I simply don't see the great advantage to using any other DAP at the moment. It takes me all of 30 seconds to convert a FLAC album into ALAC so lossless is covered. I almost always use an amp (Stepdance or Headsix) so I would not benefit from Fiio's internal amp. Then there is the question of memory. A 64gb Micro SD is approximately $140, with drives the cumulative price of the Fiio into the $300 range and, as I imagine is the case with others, 64gb is insufficient for a lossless collection. Then there is the matter of the DAC. If one were to peruse the Shoreline closeouts webpage they'll discover that an open-box HRT istreamer is going for $100. With more idevice DAC's hitting the market owning an IPod/IPad becomes very advantageous. Admittedly IPods cannot play 24/196; this is a great feature in my opinion but does not offset the financial disadvantages (for me it doesn't). I am open to acquiring other DAP's; I prefer Rockbox to Apple's software as an example (though soon Rockbox will, I believe, become fully ported to IPod Classics) but need more incentive. Perhaps there is something i dont see, a clandestine advantage to an other DAP that I'm overlooking and if so, please inform me. Until then, I'll be sticking with the classic.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #1,742 of 3,613
Valid point!

I'm looking forward to it as it will provide a good base DAP for upgrading my system along the way. I dont like the way ipods dominate the market, just a personal opinion really, but supporting something different does allow for competition. I wouldnt like to see an ipod only market one day.

But a main reason for me is no itunes! and i find that 16gb (well id prefer a 32gb) microsd card is plenty for my music collection and having too many songs actually becomes annoying, i find myself skipping too often as is.

Also prefer the looks (renderings i know) of the player so far over ipods and dont need a DAP to do anything other then play music really

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #1,743 of 3,613
Aug 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #1,744 of 3,613
I hear you on the iPod monopolization. I, too, would like to see companies like Sansa, Cowon, Hifiman, Fiio find their way into mass consumption, especially when one considers that IPods are in many ways technically deficient to the products released by these other companies. But, as I am a student, the signals from my brain enter directly into my wallet, where they are processed into a decision. iPods are competitively priced and because of their ubiquity several workarounds (sharepod for instance to circumvent ITunes) have been created by the more savvy apple consumers. If it wasn't for price, lineout and, as is quickly becoming the case, external DAC support I'd be with you on a product precisely like the upcoming Fiio. As an aside I also prefer the looks of the Fiio, but then we hearken back to the wallet, which handles aesthetic decisions also.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,745 of 3,613
..."Good for you then"

Dont get touchy about it. This is exactly the place to make comparisons. How many others, I wonder, are thinking 'why would I get this when I already have an IPod? Cowon? Sansa?' You give them a reason, provide an argument: 1) 24/196 support 2) better amp/dac 3) SD support for the future when 300gb micro sd cards will be less than $100.

Instead you get pissy as though someone was attacking your little advertisement carousel.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #1,746 of 3,613
popcorn.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,747 of 3,613
Digital out and LO from a small handheld is another.  You won't need something like the $500 CLAS or $200 iStreamer to turn your DAP into a transport.  With the iStreamer and CLAS you have a larger footprint and higher overall cost w/o Hi-rez ability.  I'm also an external card user and don't do integrated storage especially HDDs on the move.  Personally, keeping my soul free from the tyranny of Apple also has a value beyond calculation.  If those aren't enough reasons in favor of this $150+ DAP then enjoy what you have.  Those are HUGE enough reasons for me.      

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #1,748 of 3,613

Quote:
Instead you get pissy as though someone was attacking your little advertisement carousel.

Haha. I just find your previous post oh too generic, which can be posted in any non-iPod discussion and be just as boring to the discussion as it is to X3's.  If you have read a dozen pages before this, we already went through a couple of what-you-pasted before, just not by you. If you don't find X3 useful for you, that's indeed good for you as you don't need to waste the money. Though, sorry if I seem harsh about it, how is it going to be different from the 99.9% of stuffs you will never buy and have good reasons for them?

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #1,754 of 3,613
Released... I dont think so (feel free to correct me with retail links), Fiiao would have announced it.  At best there might be the odd engineering sample floating around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back