The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
May 14, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #1,201 of 3,613
This is sounding good. After reading about the E11 this past week - dropped into a shop and tried the E7 and liked it, but holding out for E11 which I am dreaming will pair well this Fiio X3. And pair it with Fiio L9 LOD for a nearly total Fiio setup. Groovy.

May 14, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #1,202 of 3,613
Dang, I was actually right about the Wolfson chips. As I said, I'm pretty sure that the benefit of having two DACs is quite small beyond increasing costs, so I'm totally fine with just one main chip.

May 14, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #1,205 of 3,613
Thinking X3 + Arrow myself.

Question for Feaio, if you're getting the software from someone else, are there any current examples of players using something similar to what the X3 will end up with? I think that with a physical interface there's only a limited number of ways you can really browse your library and it's more about the little things like the aesthetics of it, ease of moving back and forth between menus, and stuff like that. As long as I can browse artists/albums easily and can import playlists, shuffle/random play that'll do me.

May 14, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #1,206 of 3,613

Quote:
One is WM8740, for DAC, one is WM8805 for digital out.

Still quite interest. Guess I need to look into WM8805 spec.

Quote:
ExpatinJapan the l9 would be of no use as the x3's lineout is through a 3.5mm jack.

Actually there are two line-out: one via 3.5mm and one in the FiiO Dock that E9 can used.

Quote:
Thinking X3 + Arrow myself.

Question for Feaio, if you're getting the software from someone else, are there any current examples of players using something similar to what the X3 will end up with? I think that with a physical interface there's only a limited number of ways you can really browse your library and it's more about the little things like the aesthetics of it, ease of moving back and forth between menus, and stuff like that. As long as I can browse artists/albums easily and can import playlists, shuffle/random play that'll do me.

James probably can't go into detail but the firmware is provided by the same company that also provides solution to a few major Western electronic brands, so it shouldn't be too bad.

May 14, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #1,207 of 3,613
"ETA: August. Price range: $150-$170"

guys, i thought feiao said price estimation would be around USD120? what have i been missing lately?
dt880smile.png

May 14, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #1,209 of 3,613

Quote:

Actually there are two line-out: one via 3.5mm and one in the FiiO Dock that E9 can used.

James probably can't go into detail but the firmware is provided by the same company that also provides solution to a few major Western electronic brands, so it shouldn't be too bad.

That's good to hear, should be pretty solid then. Add me to the 'will be buying list' I guess.

May 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #1,210 of 3,613

Quote:
I see two Wolfson as well and I can only imagine one reason for it - differential mode.. Wow, that's going be fun.

It's becoming more common to use 2 chips to lower cross contamination from the supply. Basically more current available to the 1/2 that gets used for better dynamics and lower IM and noise. The tracks are so small in these chips that designers are seeing improvement by keeping the rails dedicated to individual channels. I don't know if these can be paralleled or if it's desirable. Hope they're using the the more subtle slope for the digital filter and the firmware sounds good. It surprising how much the players and codecs can vary. I like the the buttons instead of touch screen and don't care about much else than easy to to find my files and good sound. Any news on output impedance.

May 15, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #1,212 of 3,613

Quote:

Please keep us posted on your findings.  This is an unknown for me and it's a big deal on the X3 to know how the digital signal is being handled since that is a huge part of what it is.

To everyone else.  Try not to see criticism as hate.  This is all about getting the best device for the end user and increasing sales for Fiio.  It's win-win.  As Toyota once said to GM.  No problem = Big problem.  Before people go OT there is a Toyota thread if you have something to say.

May 15, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #1,214 of 3,613

Quote:
Please keep us posted on your findings.  This is an unknown for me and it's a big deal on the X3 to know how the digital signal is being handled since that is a huge part of what it is.

It is actually not a DAC, but a dedicated S/PDIF transceiver with 24/192 full support and low jitter. So far from what ever limited discussion on the chip seems to suggest that it is a fairly decent chip for its job. Haven't found any negative comment yet, so it should be good.

May 15, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #1,215 of 3,613

Quote:
It is actually not a DAC, but a dedicated S/PDIF transceiver with 24/192 full support and low jitter. So far from what ever limited discussion on the chip seems to suggest that it is a fairly decent chip for its job. Haven't found any negative comment yet, so it should be good.

Transceiver?  Do you mean transmitter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back