The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #496 of 3,613
Agree. Doesn't make sense to exclude codecs for a DAP, especially free, open-source ones.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #497 of 3,613
Let's put this to death, again - it has nothing to do with whether FiiO 't want a particular codec on X3 or not. It is just the controller they choose to use doesn't support a particular codec. Could FiiO uses the common FreeScale / SigmaTel or RockChip solution and get a wide variety of codec? Sure, but it will either come with a crappier firmware solution or simply can't work with WM8740 (and reasonably assuming a crappier sound). Do you guys really want that instead?

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #498 of 3,613
I kind of assumed they were going with some kind of software implementation since they weren't using one of the common chipsets and can't obviously can't afford to roll their own silicon.

If they're using hardware decoders then yeah, they're stuck with whatever the chip can support.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #499 of 3,613
I didn't know codecs were limited by hardware, I made an assumption that it was all software decoding.

the more you know....

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #501 of 3,613
Quote:
I didn't know codecs were limited by hardware, I made an assumption that it was all software decoding.

the more you know....

Software decoding is possible on some controller (mainly those that have ARM processor build-in), just that it will eat battery. Hence hardware decoding is always preferred.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #503 of 3,613
Quote:
Will the digital out be bit-transparent ? i.e. not any kind of DSP applied ?

That really depends on how the EQ is applied.

The most common way of DAP's EQing is done in the software domain, which basically the EQ acts directly on the digital stream in the processor, before it goes to DAC and amp, hence the EQ affects even the line-out. The common way for manufacturer to 'bypass' the EQ on line-out (and appear 'clean') is to program the firmware to auto-disable the EQ when it detects the line-out is being used. This doesn't in any way means you get a better or worst signal, or if there is any kind of DSP. It is just how the industry finds to be easiest to do, instead of designing a separate circuit to control the EQ. Essentially all you need to do is to disable the EQ yourself for a bit-transparent digital stream.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #505 of 3,613
Hi everybody ;]

Right now I'm pretty impressed with X3 already but having some thoughts on the subject I'd like to know will it be hmmm..weatherproof? My Sansa has a lot of uncovered holes and it's completely vulnerable to bad weather...Also my battery goes empty every time it's slightly cold. I just hope X3 had some isolation/waterproof? Not like i want it to be operable under water or so :p just want it to work in a cold/ rainy day.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #506 of 3,613
Quote:
Hi everybody ;]

Right now I'm pretty impressed with X3 already but having some thoughts on the subject I'd like to know will it be hmmm..weatherproof? My Sansa has a lot of uncovered holes and it's completely vulnerable to bad weather...Also my battery goes empty every time it's slightly cold. I just hope X3 had some isolation/waterproof? Not like i want it to be operable under water or so :p just want it to work in a cold/ rainy day.

I think we've established that it will probably come with a silicone case like the E7, though as to how much of the X3 it covers I couldn't say. Anyhow, that should offer some protection. Don't know about the player on its own or the battery life, though.

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #507 of 3,613

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everybody ;]

I think we've established that it will probably come with a silicone case like the E7, though as to how much of the X3 it covers I couldn't say. Anyhow, that should offer some protection. Don't know about the player on its own or the battery life, though.

LOL THNX I totally forgot that :p I've been lurkin' for some time but this 30+ pages must got me confused. If this fits right and cover all ports I guess it should be fine.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #508 of 3,613
Much looking forward to this player.

Gonna replace me now dead iRiver H120 with it =)

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #509 of 3,613

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everybody ;]

idk about wather proof, but at least to keep the slot covered from the dust, unlike sansa clip+.
My modest nokia e63 has this nice covers that remains attached to the phone all the time

LTslots2.jpg

anyhow, i was about to buy a fuze but read about the X3, Im holding on. and i have great expectations on FiiO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back