The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jan 6, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #391 of 3,613

Quote:
Yes but cards are also limted to 32gb.

yes, currently they are.  I have all but given up on high capacity players.  to do a 64gb player now is more than the 120gb Zune I got back in the day.  its just a shift in the market that I have accepted.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #392 of 3,613
by limiting the max amount of memory of the player you also limit your market, thats why a large company will offer various internal memory sizes all the way from 1gb to 160gb.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #393 of 3,613
yes, you may limit your market but also your production costs and overhead, thus maximizing your profit.  bottom line is if large capacity players were selling well at good profit margins, companies would be making them.  They didn't, so they aren't being made in abundance.  The classic almost doesn't count because apple is to the point where the only cost that goes into the is production.  no product dev or real marketing is done on the classic anymore. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #394 of 3,613
Fiio is small company targeting audiofiles with lower budget, they dont need xy players with different features, capacity and color. I´m fine with just memory card, I have few of them, I dont see any need for internal memory.

JRG: Also, how much is there players with capacity over 100GB or with 64 Gb?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #395 of 3,613

Quote:
I actually really like the idea of no internal memory.  cards are cheap.

x2  I don't get restricting content to devices.  I can carry cards in my wallet and swap between devices at will rather than have my content tied down by a single device.  Phone, DAP, PMP, Laptop, Desktop whatever, just swap your cards.  One reason I don't participate in Apple's annual recycling program.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #396 of 3,613
Quote:
by limiting the max amount of memory of the player you also limit your market, thats why a large company will offer various internal memory sizes all the way from 1gb to 160gb.

As people have already said, FiiO is a small company targeting audiophiles; this isn't a mainstream product with a mainstream consumer market.

In any case, FiiO is growing rapidly. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a more advanced DAP in a year or two, depending on the success of the X3. They already have the E11 on the way this spring, and a tease of a much more advanced DAC than the E7 in the future.

If you're so worried about having different sizes of internal memory, as you said "there are so many" out there, then pick one...

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #397 of 3,613
Jan 6, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #398 of 3,613
Quote:

As people have already said, FiiO is a small company targeting audiophiles; this isn't a mainstream product with a mainstream consumer market.

In any case, FiiO is growing rapidly. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a more advanced DAP in a year or two, depending on the success of the X3. They already have the E11 on the way this spring, and a tease of a much more advanced DAC than the E7 in the future.

If you're so worried about having different sizes of internal memory, as you said "there are so many" out there, then pick one...

+1 X3 is a positioning tool. Be innovative, be smart, build quality, earn recognition. When you try to do everything you have a greater chance to end up with nothing.

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #400 of 3,613
Quote:

As others have mentioned, FiiO is a small company. The entire stock of X3 they are making is probably not even enough to fill Sony's DAP department smallest warehouse for just a day. FiiO is not going to put all the egg in one bucket and risk the whole company budget so they can offer the same variety of products as Apply or Sony. Their goal is to offer something that is different from the rest of the market so enough people will be interested in buying. They are not trying to be HifiMan / ColorFly nor as Apple / Sony. They don't think they can or want to beat those companies at their games. That's simply not what the company's long term goal is. They are merely trying to come out with products that are reasonably priced and fill the market where most other companies have ignored. So if what you want is an Apple, then getting an Apple is probably the more logical choice instead of waiting for FiiO to come out with product that will match an Apple.

Quote:

There is another player in plan, still far away though. It will support hard disk, so it won't really be portable in much sense. We probably won't see any detail about it till 2012.

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #403 of 3,613

Quote:
There is another player in plan, still far away though. It will support hard disk, so it won't really be portable in much sense. We probably won't see any detail about it till 2012.

Might be off-topic but can it be anything like this? Just better looking, ie, less buttons, larger screen, maybe a remote (so it can be marketed for speaker systems; their best choice for now are those HT sources). I can do without an internal drive and we'll just install, or Firewire to an external drive. Just thought I'd push a few ideas through before the thread for that is opened and be well ahead of the final version 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Oh, we can do without the headphone output, but some might like to keep the A/D function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back