The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Dec 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #211 of 3,613

Quote:
Talking about EQ - what do you guys think about BBE? I know it will cost money to get license for BBE, but it sure beats PlayFX or SRS. However, if Cube is able to get it on their C30, it shouldn't be too much to hope for it on X3.

I was actually checking in on this thread just to say that. The C30 costs what? $40? BBE can't cost that much to license, and it'd certainly bring quite a few more customers. I was about to buy a Cowon only for its BBE, and don't even really like touchscreens on DAPs (Even though my parents got me a Zune HD for a Christmas gift, I think, but that's beside the point.)

And i_djoel, you guys would account for, if I can guesstimate, at the most, 10-15% of all the users of the X3, so bring the BBE on if possible!
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #212 of 3,613
Quote:
for me BBE feature would be useless since i will always use either the line out or optical out feature
biggrin.gif

Ha, I don't use much EQ myself, but I do want something good when I want to use it. BTW, If EQ is done in the digital domain, it could affect line-out too.

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #213 of 3,613
Quote:
I hope it supports ID3tags completely.

I was actually just taking this as read, but it should be out there that it's important. Much as I can see why some people prefer the ancient methods of folder arrangement and browsing, my library is all over the place folder-wise but is ID3'd down to a tee. Having to reorganise everything would be a huge hassle, so yeah I'd like to have browsing via artist, album, genre etc. Since we're getting cover art support would it be possible to have some kind of cover art browsing? It's one of the few things that I really like on the iPod.

ClieOS - sorry for the noob comment here, but are you talking firmware or chips here?

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #215 of 3,613
Quote:
ClieOS - sorry for the noob comment here, but are you talking firmware or chips here?

If it is BBE you are referring to, it will need to be part of the firmware, kind of a special EQ besides those preset (Rock, Pop, etc) you will find on DAP.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #216 of 3,613
BBE, at least for me, is just about the best EQ system in portable audio. Definitely worth paying a little more for. I think people who could care less just haven't used it for themselves - it really is quite amazing.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #217 of 3,613

Quote:
BBE, at least for me, is just about the best EQ system in portable audio. Definitely worth paying a little more for. I think people who could care less just haven't used it for themselves - it really is quite amazing.

TBH I really could care less as I'm not much of an EQ user :p However I will agree that BBE is great and better than any other EQ I've used on a dap. I do see the value in it and if it's possible to implement and within budget that would be great. I usually don't use EQ unless it's on phones that are not as good that need some EQ  and it's nice to have something good if needed.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #218 of 3,613
About BBE, we will to discuss with our supplier in the future, and X3 can be upgrade by PC through USB! so it is not a hardware problem, also gapeless!

In China, most audiophile think it is not a serious audio device if it have EQ, BBE and such etc, that is why we pass the build in bass boost to the line out! LOL!

BTW, I have to say that I learn lots of knowlege from you guy! the more you talk, the better we can make! but please understand there are something we can't, but not means it is hard to us so we don't like to do that!

In fact, this project start long time ago, and only when we find the best solution, we start this project!

Thanks everyone here!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #219 of 3,613

Quote:

I have serious doubts imagining it being better than the Rockbox EQ, but yes, I haven't tried BBE.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #220 of 3,613
I hope this device looks and perform as good as expected: EQ, gapless, id3 tag metadata support, BBE and good amp. bring it out.

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #221 of 3,613

Quote:
I have a different stance on EQ.

I don't really like to use it. I think if you don't like the sound you're getting, you need a different rig.

Just my opinion; not trying to get someone riled up so that EQ has to be explained.

I think exactly the same about EQ, I just don't like to mess with it. but as long as you can disable it I don't have any problem with it been implemented. 

Quote:
Quote:
I hope it supports ID3tags completely.

I was actually just taking this as read, but it should be out there that it's important. Much as I can see why some people prefer the ancient methods of folder arrangement and browsing, my library is all over the place folder-wise but is ID3'd down to a tee. Having to reorganise everything would be a huge hassle, so yeah I'd like to have browsing via artist, album, genre etc. Since we're getting cover art support would it be possible to have some kind of cover art browsing? It's one of the few things that I really like on the iPod.

yes that's why I post it, I wouldn't want that to be overlooked and thus badly implemented.

I have all my music arranged by folders and albums but it's nice to be able to quickly brows by: artist, album, genre, year, cover, rating, etc..

for the ones that like shuffle mode like me:

if possible I would also like to be able to rate individual songs so we can brows by rating and play by rating on shuffle mode. i.e. If I want to shuffle between all my songs with 3 and above rating.

I also think most of the non audiophile people tend to listen on shuffle mode so providing such characteristics on the file management would maybe expand the user market of the DAP

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #224 of 3,613
Here's one of my problems w/ Eq.  It seems that w/ some players that have Eq that setting to normal or flat isn't always such.  The added complexity and variables to measuring the true nature of the devices sound get annoying if this is the case.  If flat, normal, 'O' is truly that and doesn't increase costs more than a couple bucks then go for it.  I always worry though.  One benefit of Eq I noticed on the Sflo2 was the ability to control the output of the LO.  

On the note of the channel balance via knob control.  Could the same be done with L/R balance via software w/o impacting the overall SQ like say using the Eq of an iPod does?

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #225 of 3,613
Quote:
I have a different stance on EQ.

I don't really like to use it. I think if you don't like the sound you're getting, you need a different rig.

Just my opinion; not trying to get someone riled up so that EQ has to be explained.

I think you're quite lucky if you can find a piece of gear that you can be completely satisfied with without having to tweak anything.  I'm from the EQ or GTFO school and I've never had a pair of 'phones that didn't need at least a bit of tweaking.  A good EQ with multiple user save slots is essential to me.  My car stereo is quite different from SE530s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back