The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Aug 2, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #8,626 of 9,972
  If you want to go lossless, I suggest using FLAC as it is well supported.   APE, Wavepack, and Monkeys Audio are not standard for lossless.  And  AIFF is basically WAV with headers which can be a fairly large file.  If you live in Apple land then you main want to look at ALAC which is Apple's lossless format.   You can convert between all of these with no losses with FOOBAR.

Sometimes I get glitches when playing flacs  even when gapless is selected.  The best way to get around that is to have one large flac file with a cue sheet.  Then you can still choose individual tracks. 

By the way, a similar trick works for SACD rips.  The X3II can play the ISO and identifies individual tracks nicely.

If you want lossy I suggest MP3 or AAC which are fairly standard.  I know OGG is a popular Unix choice but it is really not mainstream. 

Personally I go lossless or hi res lossless.  No interest in a big debate there.  Brooko swears by AAC and he has a good ear.  For me I prefer lossless.

Do you like your tea Green, Black, Ooolong, or herbal non caffeinated.  Its all good.

just as another point of data, I've got all my stuff in ALAC (apple lossless). It's reasonably equivalent to FLAC, I think and have had good success with gapless playback on my X3. If I weren't coming from a decade+ of iTunes, I'd probably be using FLACs.

I'm not sure what the X3 is using for decoding, but most of the bigger formats, MP3, AAC and likely FLAC and ALAC have good, off the shelf hardware decoders. Not sure OGG has a decent hardware decoder chip available, but if it's doing the work in software, it might be harder on battery life.

herbal non-caffeinated is terrible. get out! :wink:

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #8,627 of 9,972
If you want to go lossless, I suggest using FLAC as it is well supported.   APE, Wavepack, and Monkeys Audio are not standard for lossless.  And  AIFF is basically WAV with headers which can be a fairly large file.  If you live in Apple land then you may want to look at ALAC which is Apple's lossless format.   You can convert between all of these with no losses with FOOBAR.

Sometimes I get glitches when playing flacs  even when gapless is selected.  The best way to get around that is to have one large flac file with a cue sheet.  Then you can still choose individual tracks. 

By the way, a similar trick works for SACD rips.  The X3II can play the ISO and identifies individual tracks nicely.

If you want lossy I suggest MP3 or AAC which are fairly standard.  I know OGG is a popular Unix choice but it is really not mainstream. 

Personally I go lossless or hi res lossless.  No interest in a big debate there.  Brooko swears by AAC and he has a good ear.  For me I prefer lossless.

Do you like your tea Green, Black, Ooolong, or herbal non caffeinated.  Its all good.

I like green and black tea. Thanks for asking. Just my personal preferences. :wink:

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #8,628 of 9,972
OK, so I tried converting to MP3. Still has small gaps in those same 2 albums :frowning2: So, I tried M4A and... NO GAPS. So, my little Asus Zenbook spent all last night (8 hours!) converting all my FLAC to M4A and now all is well in the world. Thanks everyone.

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #8,633 of 9,972
It was a $10.00 (CDN) difference, but I guess 10 bucks is 10 bucks. Okay, I will bring it back and get the Ultra. Thank you very much ngs428 and Soundsgoodtome. The Fiio will be my first non-Apple music device ever, and as you know, iDevices have no expansion slots whatsoever. I haven't bought a memory card in many years so I'm a bit clueless, lol.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #8,635 of 9,972
Did Fiio fix the scroll wheel issue (in which the cursor jumps back and forth every few seconds while rotating the wheel) in later batches, or is it still very much a problem?

I'm undecided between the X3 II and the DX50 at the moment.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #8,636 of 9,972
Did Fiio fix the scroll wheel issue (in which the cursor jumps back and forth every few seconds while rotating the wheel) in later batches, or is it still very much a problem?

I'm undecided between the X3 II and the DX50 at the moment.

There was a firmware update to make the scroll wheel perform better and with my X3II, the scroll wheel works very well.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #8,637 of 9,972
There was a firmware update to make the scroll wheel perform better and with my X3II, the scroll wheel works very well.

An update was released for the X1 as well, but my device still has that wheel issue despite my updating to the latest firmware version. :triportsad:

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #8,639 of 9,972
An update was released for the X1 as well, but my device still has that wheel issue despite my updating to the latest firmware version.
triportsad.gif

Hmmm.. Chances are, it could be a defective unit.. If its still within warranty you could try contacting the retailer to see if they will be able to replace it. Some stores do that rather than having to send it all the way back to Fiio to get it fixed.

My wheel, like everyone else's, was not accurate when I originally bought it. After the FW update, it's been perfect. Another criteria that might help you decide between DX50 and X3 is RF/EMI noise if your phone is around. Watch the video in the review I have linked below. The video shows DX90. Both DX50 and DX90 share a similar design. I have had no EMI/RF issues with the X3ii. I do not know the extent of the impact in real life use though.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13322

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #8,640 of 9,972
I'm thinking of getting a Fiio X3 2nd gen. Will this card work with it?

This is more suited for photographic use, (I've got the same) but yes, it will work! I'm still using Sandisk Ultra plus in my X3ii ... bytheway, my DAP doesn't play 4k video yet!

Yep, In fact, save your money and get 128gb Ultra plus card instead!

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back