The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jul 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #8,597 of 9,972
Just got my fido x3 replacement from returning the original purchase due to an overly stiff scroll wheel.

The new one's scroll wheel feels great.  the buttons are a little loose around the scroll wheel.   Anyone else's have loose buttons around the wheel?

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #8,598 of 9,972

Just downloaded the firmware 2.0 and it is great!

Love the sound.  It's a significant step up from the x1.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #8,600 of 9,972
  good people.

I've written a little gear review on my blog of the FiiO X3 2nd gen player. The reviews and comments in this thread were a big reason I decided to go with the X3II, so I thought some of you might enjoy the read.

thanks!

Welcome to head-fi and thanks for the review.
smile.gif

It's only been less than a week but I'm really enjoying being out and about with the X3 gen II, thought the iPod Nano G7 was ok driving my ie800s but having full res files and better amplification has been a real treat, subtle at first but now there's no way going back. Listening to some well recorded music really shows off the strengths of this combo with excellent sound staging, depth and layering not to mention the detail and overall timber....sure I might be able to  improve things even more but as a "shirt pocket sized device" that IMHO sounds very good, it's perfect "as is" to accompany me on my city walks.
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #8,602 of 9,972
Hi,

Just got my X3 Mk2. Overall I'm happy but some of my gapless albums are being played with small gaps between the tracks. Not all of them though. They are all OGG format, converted from FLAC rips form CD. Any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Thanks for any assistance

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #8,603 of 9,972

first, make sure you've updated to version 2.0 of the firmware. See Fiio.net's support pages for instructions on how to do that.

second, make sure gapless playback is enabled in the settings (the gear+musical note settings).

if that doesn't fix it, I'd say you're losing cue information from your ripping to flac, then conversion to ogg. Curious why you're choosing ogg as your destination format?

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #8,604 of 9,972
Thanks. Yes all the above is true and a lot of the albums are playing without gaps, just a few that aren't.

No specific reason for going OGG. If there's something that the Fiios are happier with I'm happy to run the conversion again :)

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #8,605 of 9,972
  Thanks. Yes all the above is true and a lot of the albums are playing without gaps, just a few that aren't.

No specific reason for going OGG. If there's something that the Fiios are happier with I'm happy to run the conversion again :)

if you're already converted to FLAC I'd recommend just transferring those over. Unless your library is massive, you can fit quite a few FLAC files on your media card. They'll sound better, and really, the whole point of these players is that they're great for high definition audio. Then again, depends on headphones and content.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #8,606 of 9,972

Gapless isn't 100% outside of flac, however I've not had any issues with mp3s on any of my X players.  OGG is an odd format to convert to IMO due to its limited support.  I'd stick with flac or convert to 320 bit mp3s depending on the size of your music collection.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #8,607 of 9,972
MP3s are awful for gapless!! OGG at least supports the concept.

I only have a 64 gig card at the moment. The idea is to use FLAC but I already have 115gb of music in FLAC so really I want a 200gb card to give myself some room to add stuff.

I am unable to tell the difference between a good 320kbps MP3 and a 24 bit HiRes, or anything in between so flac is kinda wasted on me anyway but keeping it all flac is beneficial in that I can rip once, in one format and be done with it (I have a Bluesound system at home).

I'll copy over the FLAC originals for the 2 problem albums and see if that is any better.

Thanks chaps.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #8,608 of 9,972
Gapless isn't 100% outside of flac, however I've not had any issues with mp3s on any of my X players.  OGG is an odd format to convert to IMO due to its limited support.  I'd stick with flac or convert to 320 bit mp3s depending on the size of your music collection.

Agreed! Using FLAC & 320 mb/s files as well for yearss now, without any issues! Having about +/- 3,500 songs on my 64gb Sandisk extreme card... Sharing randomly with my X1 as well!

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #8,610 of 9,972
  MP3s are awful for gapless!! OGG at least supports the concept.

I only have a 64 gig card at the moment. The idea is to use FLAC but I already have 115gb of music in FLAC so really I want a 200gb card to give myself some room to add stuff.

I am unable to tell the difference between a good 320kbps MP3 and a 24 bit HiRes, or anything in between so flac is kinda wasted on me anyway but keeping it all flac is beneficial in that I can rip once, in one format and be done with it (I have a Bluesound system at home).

I'll copy over the FLAC originals for the 2 problem albums and see if that is any better.

Thanks chaps.

Not sure what your issues have been with mp3s and gapless, but I've never had an issue with them in the X players.  No clicks, gaps, or any other problems.  It's your choice, DAP, and music so you can do whatever you want with it all.  If you can't tell a difference in formats, it makes no sense to me to use flac.  You could convert it all to mp3 or OGG if you choose and fit more music on your card.  I recommend mp3 because it's a more standard format than OGG, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back