The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Aug 2, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #8,611 of 9,972
  So the Fiio does gapless with MP3?

Does for me on both of my X series DAPs.  I've read a few cases early where users heard clicks or there were micro gaps, but I've never had any of that.  Both of mine are 100% gaples with mp3s.  Tested it many of times with live albums and so forth against flac versions.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #8,612 of 9,972
Agreed! Using FLAC & 320 mb/s files as well for yearss now, without any issues! Having about +/- 3,500 songs on my 64gb Sandisk extreme card... Sharing randomly with my X1 as well!

I've got 18,000+ songs on a 200gb card in my X3II and 11,000+ on a 128gb card in my X1.  All mp3s.  This is what's driving me to a DAP with two card slots.  The X5II is on my short list.

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #8,613 of 9,972
I've got 18,000+ songs on a 200gb card in my X3II and 11,000+ on a 128gb card in my X1.  All mp3s.  This is what's driving me to a DAP with two card slots.  The X5II is on my short list.

Just wait for a new release X3s or X9. A 2 slots edition ! (No barrier here for me, using OTG)

:wink:

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #8,614 of 9,972
Just wait for a new release X3s or X9. A 2 slots edition !

wink.gif

I found a place that sells the silicone case far the X3II. The store is in Spain but it doesn't ship outside of Europe unfortunately but if you happen to be in Valencia Spain you could pick one up there.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #8,615 of 9,972
I found a place that sells the silicone case far the X3II. The store is in Spain but it doesn't ship outside of Europe unfortunately but if you happen to be in Valencia Spain you could pick one up there. :tongue_smile:

Humm, no chance to be in Spain for piece of silicone thing! ... For now, I'm protecting it in SaranWrap... le$$ expensive!

Thx for suggestion anyway Bruce!

:p

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #8,616 of 9,972
Just wait for a new release X3s or X9. A 2 slots edition ! (No barrier here for me, using OTG)

Yeah...I upgraded my fw to take advantage of the latest features. I now use the X3 as a DAC with my PC and laptop if I need to hear my flat files. Otherwise, everything gets converted to mp3 and put on my cards.

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #8,617 of 9,972
Humm, no chance to be in Spain for piece of silicone thing! ... For now, I'm protecting it in SaranWrap... le$$ expensive!

Thx for suggestion anyway Bruce!

:p

No problem :) I actually ordered a couple cases but they later told me it was for pickup only so they refunded me the money. Oh well..I have a nice dignis case for mine so I just have to be happy with it. It does the job. Not to mention the plastic case it came with...

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #8,618 of 9,972
  Gapless isn't 100% outside of flac, however I've not had any issues with mp3s on any of my X players.  OGG is an odd format to convert to IMO due to its limited support.  I'd stick with flac or convert to 320 bit mp3s depending on the size of your music collection.

OGG sounds better than MP3 with a smaller file size. So if you want to go lossy, OGG is the best choice. But I agree that if you have lossless FLAC, use that instead for better sound.

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #8,619 of 9,972

OGG sounds better than MP3 with a smaller file size. So if you want to go lossy, OGG is the best choice. But I agree that if you have lossless FLAC, use that instead for better sound.

It's a matter of personal preference I guess.  I don't think I'll be converting all my music to it.  I'm perfectly happy with mp3s and flac.

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #8,621 of 9,972
It's not a matter of personal preference. OGG does sound better than MP3. That's a fact.

It is personal preference what format I chose to listen to. OGG may be better, but it has a very small following of users. It hasn't really been thoroughly tested according to what I've read about it and isn't something every DAP is capable of playing. More power to you and others if you enjoy OGG, and I'll stick to the format's I prefer. We're fortunate FiiO offers something that can handle a lot of different format choices.

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #8,622 of 9,972
It is personal preference what format I chose to listen to. OGG may be better, but it has a very small following of users. It hasn't really been thoroughly tested according to what I've read about it and isn't something every DAP is capable of playing. More power to you and others if you enjoy OGG, and I'll stick to the format's I prefer. We're fortunate FiiO offers something that can handle a lot of different format choices.

It is not a personal preference. You have this all wrong. OGG DOES sound better than MP3. There's no doubt about it.

While you may prefer to use MP3 with it's lesser sound quality. There is no personal preference as to which sounds better,

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #8,623 of 9,972
It is not a personal preference. You have this all wrong. OGG DOES sound better than MP3. There's no doubt about it.

While you may prefer to use MP3 with it's lesser sound quality. There is no personal preference as to which sounds better,

You've misunderstood what I said. I didn't say OGG was any better or worse than mp3. Merely pointed out what I've read about the format. I have no experience with OGG. It is my personal preference what format I chose and that's all I said. If you enjoy OGG, have at it. Like I said, I won't be converting all my stuff to it.

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #8,624 of 9,972
No problem :) I actually ordered a couple cases but they later told me it was for pickup only so they refunded me the money. Oh well..I have a nice dignis case for mine so I just have to be happy with it. It does the job. Not to mention the plastic case it came with...

Yep, I will go with a Dignis case as well, eventualy! I think this quality case will protect enough my investment. I'm just not ready rightnow! Thx to remindme!

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #8,625 of 9,972
If you want to go lossless, I suggest using FLAC as it is well supported.   APE, Wavepack, and Monkeys Audio are not standard for lossless.  And  AIFF is basically WAV with headers which can be a fairly large file.  If you live in Apple land then you may want to look at ALAC which is Apple's lossless format.   You can convert between all of these with no losses with FOOBAR.

Sometimes I get glitches when playing flacs  even when gapless is selected.  The best way to get around that is to have one large flac file with a cue sheet.  Then you can still choose individual tracks. 

By the way, a similar trick works for SACD rips.  The X3II can play the ISO and identifies individual tracks nicely.

If you want lossy I suggest MP3 or AAC which are fairly standard.  I know OGG is a popular Unix choice but it is really not mainstream. 

Personally I go lossless or hi res lossless.  No interest in a big debate there.  Brooko swears by AAC and he has a good ear.  For me I prefer lossless.

Do you like your tea Green, Black, Ooolong, or herbal non caffeinated.  Its all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back