The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 8, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #6,842 of 9,972
I just got mine today and I'm having some issues with my laptop recognizing the player. When I first plugged it in, it installed the drivers automatically and showed up. Then my laptop (running Windows 10) BSOD'd and restarted, and now it won't recognize the player at all. I was able to start transferring files by plugging the SD card into an adapter and putting it in my laptop, and the SD card now shows up as X3. I'm going to try updating the firmware on my desktop (running Windows 8.1) to see if that'll get it to show up, but I don't have particularly high hopes. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edit: updated fw, still unrecognizable. Kind of annoying, I was hoping to use this as a DAC for my laptop.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #6,843 of 9,972
Okay so initial impressions Fiio X3ii vs iBasso DX80

First things first..
I bought these two players with my own money. I have no affiliation with either company. I am simply someone who is wanting to upgrade from my iPhone 6. Now.. I know what you all are going to say.. The iBasso DX80 is $360 the Fiio X3ii is only $180, so half the price. How dare you try and compare the two. All I can say is bare with me.. My reasoning, both have the Cirrus Logic CS4398 as their DAC chips. The thing I wanted to compare was how did the implementation of 2 Cirrus Logic CS4398s (1 for each channel) improve the sound from the Single chip execution, or is it all marketing and there was no discernible difference to be noted? In addition, was either of the above a valid step up to the essence of what a Hi-Res Player SHOULD sound like.

So as you can see, the iBasso is definitely a taller unit, just the same basic thickness.
From there.. Where to start?

Build quality:
X3ii is very well built, as the DX80 is as well. Both are primarily Aluminum bodies. Therefore also very light and sturdy. Where the X3ii felt small, the DX80 seemed to fit my hand just right for that secure grip you get with the X3ii's bigger brother X5ii.

Screen Quality:
The X3ii definitely is nowhere near as nice of a screen. From Pixel density to viewing angles. However, at half the price, sure, it's definitely acceptable. I have no real issue viewing it in the daylight as I'm at work on a work site or driving around.
The DX80 is definitely of Cellphone quality, therefore, you get all the benefits of the cellphone experience. So those looking to upgrade their player don't have to feel like they are degrading in screen to get better audio quality. One thing so far, hopefully will be improved with firmware updates, is the sensitivity and accuracy of the touchscreen. Perhaps an option to calibrate it by taping on a couple of edges. Either way, it's pretty good right now.

Okay.. So sound.. Once again.. This is still just an initial impressions, as I just got the DX80 this afternoon..

So jumping from an iPhone 6 to the X3ii was quite a pleasant jump. Nothing major, but definitely a noticeable difference. Easiest way to explain the jump is adding a quality amplifier like the Fiio E12A, Oppo HA-2, or the Cayin C5 to one of your favorite Smartphones. Definitely certain passages are clearer and cleaner (less distortion and congestion) on the X3ii than your current smartphones, especially my iPhone 6. That could be due to the larger soundstage to put everything.. But either way, it can be attributed to the abundance of power and Audio chip.

Now onto how it compares to the DX80.. Granted, it's only been a few hours of usage with the DX80, and it still has to be "burned in" more.. But so far..
There is already a noticeable jump in sound quality from the X3ii. With each adjustment of the EQ there is an increase or decrease in that frequency. Which overall means I have to adjust the sound less drastically to get the desired sound I prefer from a specific song. I love my Sub-Bass- (30hz) and a very mid-centric sound.. Therefore my overall EQ looks like an upside down U or really a lowercase n.
I can now understand why iBasso decided to use 2 CS4398s for the sound processing.. Each channel reproduces the sound effortlessly with ease. Details are easily discernible. Listening to The Beatles is mind altering.. Lol.. Never realized they had so many random noises and conversations going on in the background of the music.. Especially tracks from their Yellow Submarine era.. The Tesseract Polaris album was already amazing on the iPhone 6.. But now you get the instrument separation that one expects from a Hi-Res player.
One more thing I have to say about the DX80, usually with this much clarity, I usually suffer from "Ear fatigue" within a few minutes of listening, because usually I have to raise the mids up on most players, so with the fact that I don't have to do that on the DX80 and still get the same Clarity I want, I can listen to this at a comfortable volume and still get all the bass, mids, and highs I could ask for. Further more, since I don't have to raise it up as much background noise floor is also dead quiet. So it's definitely blacker of a background than the iPhone 6, and on par if not lower than the X3ii.

This DX80 is the jump I was looking for from a smartphone to a standalone Hi-Res DAP. I can't recommend this product enough! It's truly astonishing what iBasso has created with the DX80, as I believe this will be where they are planing on taking us with the DX200. Only it will be on that next plateau. Meant to compete with the top tier DAPs. I understand why they are discontinuing their DX50 & DX90 line up.. The DX80 as their entry level, and DX200 and their Top tier DAP.. And to be honest, the sound is good enough to compete with DAPs of up to about $600 anything more than that, and you start entering the next level of products like the Astell & Kerns, Luxury & Precision L5 Pro, or the Onkyo DP-X1, Sony NE-ZX2, or even the Fiio X7..
In any case.. Anyone looking for a TRUE step up from a smartphone and future-proof your mobile setup for at least a couple of years, and looking to spend less than $500.. Give this a shot.. You won't regret it. More to come after this breaks in more.. But as you can tell.. It's already made a fantastic impression on me. Well worth every penny of the $365 I paid for it with shipping.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #6,844 of 9,972
I just got mine today and I'm having some issues with my laptop recognizing the player. When I first plugged it in, it installed the drivers automatically and showed up. Then my laptop (running Windows 10) BSOD'd and restarted, and now it won't recognize the player at all. I was able to start transferring files by plugging the SD card into an adapter and putting it in my laptop, and the SD card now shows up as X3. I'm going to try updating the firmware on my desktop (running Windows 8.1) to see if that'll get it to show up, but I don't have particularly high hopes. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edit: updated fw, still unrecognizable. Kind of annoying, I was hoping to use this as a DAC for my laptop.

Make sure you don't have the DAC mode turned on.  That would be the only reason I could see drivers needing to be installed.  Check in settings.  Also, format your card in the player before adding any music to avoid any playback issues.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #6,845 of 9,972
@sledgeharvy, Ibasso recommends some burn in (I forget how long), so the sound may or may not change after some use.

ETA:  I skimmed to fast, I see where you noted the burn in...disregard.
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #6,846 of 9,972
@fourrobert13 When you first plug the x3ii into a computer it goes through a very fast installation of drivers included on the player, most people won't notice it if their OS doesn't show a pop up or they're not actively monitoring active processes. It wasn't anything I had to download+ manually install, it was just the initial setup most devices do automatically to interface via USB.

But even with the DAC drivers installed and the player set to DAC mode in USB, nothing shows up under "sound" options, and in storage mode it's not viewable on my drives. (same with dac mode but it looks like that's to be expected)

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #6,847 of 9,972
Which setup is better?

Fiio X1 + Fiio E12 + HE-400i

Fiio X3 + Fiio E12 + HE-400i

Just figuring if Fiio X1 has Line Out, will it be different compare to Fiio X3 Line Out as I will be using my Fiio E12 Amp.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #6,848 of 9,972
@fourrobert13 When you first plug the x3ii into a computer it goes through a very fast installation of drivers included on the player, most people won't notice it if their OS doesn't show a pop up or they're not actively monitoring active processes. It wasn't anything I had to download+ manually install, it was just the initial setup most devices do automatically to interface via USB.

But even with the DAC drivers installed and the player set to DAC mode in USB, nothing shows up under "sound" options, and in storage mode it's not viewable on my drives. (same with dac mode but it looks like that's to be expected)

What OS are you using?  The X3ii needs drivers installed under Windows - they are not included on the player.  If you are using anything from Win8 up, you'll also need to disable Windows built in protection to allow installation.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #6,849 of 9,972

I did some research on the net, and i found the  tool for editing  the firmware.. I unpacked and repacked latest Fw 1.4 ,with larger font 

Could you post a link (if it's allowed), to the tool for editing the firmware please. Many thanks, and apologies if linking isn't allowed.
Also, the Dropbox link isn't working. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #6,850 of 9,972
What OS are you using?  The X3ii needs drivers installed under Windows - they are not included on the player.  If you are using anything from Win8 up, you'll also need to disable Windows built in protection to allow installation.

I'm using Windows 10. I disabled the certificate requirement and installed the DAC drivers, but the problem I'm having is that my computer isn't recognizing the player at all, not in storage or DAC mode. It doesn't even make the audio cue upon plugging it in.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #6,851 of 9,972
Are you using the cable that came with the X3ii?

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #6,853 of 9,972
OK - if you have access to another computer - put the Fiio in USD storage mode, and try plugging it into another computer. If it is recognised, then at least then we know its unlikely to be X3ii.  If it is the X3ii - the first thing I'd try would be doing a hard reset, and then maybe a firmware reinstall.

I'd also check again with your PC but try different ports.  Keep it in USB storage mode for now because all you want to do is establish a connection.

Otherwise suggest PMing @Joe Bloggs (very active Fiio rep here).

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #6,854 of 9,972
  Could you post a link (if it's allowed), to the tool for editing the firmware please. Many thanks, and apologies if linking isn't allowed.
Also, the Dropbox link isn't working. 

Sorry.. i made a mistake
now  the link should be ok (i also edited the previous post.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/extv1grodd19m0l/x3II1_4_largefont_theme6.fw?dl=0

Later i will post the link of the tool

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #6,855 of 9,972
OK - if you have access to another computer - put the Fiio in USD storage mode, and try plugging it into another computer. If it is recognised, then at least then we know its unlikely to be X3ii.  If it is the X3ii - the first thing I'd try would be doing a hard reset, and then maybe a firmware reinstall.

I'd also check again with your PC but try different ports.  Keep it in USB storage mode for now because all you want to do is establish a connection.

Otherwise suggest PMing @Joe Bloggs
 (very active Fiio rep here).

I did that with my win8.1 desktop and it worked perfectly, but I wasn't sure if this had something to do with the stated compatability (windows up till 10 supported)

Will pm him, ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back