The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 9, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #6,856 of 9,972
I did that with my win8.1 desktop and it worked perfectly, but I wasn't sure if this had something to do with the stated compatability (windows up till 10 supported)

Will pm him, ty

I use my X3ii with Win 10 - works perfectly.  Try changing ports - sounds like it could possibly be a non-Fiio issue if it's working on another 8.1 machine.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #6,858 of 9,972
Didn't work on either.
As I said in my first post though it worked initially, then I got a BSOD and it didn't work again.

I'm getting confused - you just said it worked on 8.1

I did that with my win8.1 desktop and it worked perfectly

Now your saying it didn't work on either.  And the drivers don't load that fast (your initial post), and certainly don't load automatically - you have to download from Fiio and install.

So - taking it back to the beginning - here's what I would do.  Don't worry about the DAC for now. Concentrate on USB storage mode only.  See if you can get that recognised.  Try different ports.  Try different cables.  Try different machines.  If nothing works - then its likely to be the X3ii - contact Fiio.  If it's recognised on a different machine / port / cable - then its not the Fiio.

Once you get it recognised, then go to Fiio's website, download the unified DAC driver, disable Windows protection and install it.  Then put it in DAC mode and test.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #6,859 of 9,972
I'm getting confused - you just said it worked on 8.1

Now your saying it didn't work on either.  And the drivers don't load that fast (your initial post), and certainly don't load automatically - you have to download from Fiio and install.

So - taking it back to the beginning - here's what I would do.  Don't worry about the DAC for now. Concentrate on USB storage mode only.  See if you can get that recognised.  Try different ports.  Try different cables.  Try different machines.  If nothing works - then its likely to be the X3ii - contact Fiio.  If it's recognised on a different machine / port / cable - then its not the Fiio.

Once you get it recognised, then go to Fiio's website, download the unified DAC driver, disable Windows protection and install it.  Then put it in DAC mode and test.

Again, as I said in my first post, I have a laptop running Windows 10 and a desktop running Windows 8.1. It works perfectly on the desktop, but as I use my laptop when I travel, this is the machine I mainly wanted it to work on.

The drivers I'm referring to in that post are the generic universal service bus drivers that allow the player to interact with your computer during file transfer, these are the ones most every storage device loads initially upon connection with the computer, and do not require a download or manual install. When referring to the fiio DAC drivers, I have referred to them as the DAC drivers. I know these need to be loaded manually after certificate verification is turned off in Windows. I have done this with the DAC drivers.

It works on my desktop (running 8.1) with no problems, but isn't recognized with any cord or Port on my laptop (win 10). I understand that the issue is with the interface between the device and Windows 10, and I understand that (to my knowledge at least) windows 10 is not a supported OS for the device. Other people said it worked with no issues with their windows ten machine, but what I was hoping for was someone else who had a similar experience with Win 10 and found a workaround (as it is not a supported OS, I assumed somebody else might have experienced this) . I have formatted the card, reset the device etc and I will likely end up restoring the laptop to a save point tomorrow to see if something critical happened during that particular BSOD.

Edit: and when I said it didn't work on either, I meant either port, sorry. Probably should have specified.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #6,860 of 9,972
Aaaaand I don't care at all anymore.

I just found my O2 and ODAC

:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::100::100::fire::thumbsup::thumbsup::joy::joy:

On topic though, the player is great. Fw 1.4 looks like it fixed the scroll wheel inconsistency pretty perfectly. The one thing I'm kind of confused of off the bat is what it's using to determine the genres? None of my music has anything in the filenames, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was hidden somewhere.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #6,861 of 9,972
Get a copy of mp3tag, open a file, and look at the extended tags option.  It'll show everything that is there.

BTW - in your above post.  The X3ii doesn't use Windows native DAC drivers (I've said this in my last couple of posts but you appear to have missed it).  You have to download the Fiio unified DAC driver from their site.  It is the only way on Windows t get the DAC working.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #6,863 of 9,972
Get a copy of mp3tag, open a file, and look at the extended tags option.  It'll show everything that is there.

BTW - in your above post.  The X3ii doesn't use Windows native DAC drivers (I've said this in my last couple of posts but you appear to have missed it).  You have to download the Fiio unified DAC driver from their site.  It is the only way on Windows t get the DAC working.

Ty re: tags

We're talking about different drivers dude lol. I know about the ones you're referring to, I have downloaded them from the fiio site (first link here I believe http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40391) and I have followed the Readme it came with to do the install and all that jazz. I did not miss your comments regarding them. There's something wrong with the way my computer interfaces with the device in both dac and storage modes that prevents it from even being detected + makes the DAC drivers irrelevant though because you don't need drivers to drive something that the computer doesn't think is there.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #6,864 of 9,972
  Could you post a link (if it's allowed), to the tool for editing the firmware please. Many thanks, and apologies if linking isn't allowed.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756613/unified-x1-3-5-7-theming-thread-video-image-library

Post n.8....

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #6,865 of 9,972
Sorry I already asked, but anyone expirenced same than mine when charging on sector with usb adapter : 
- Led is green, the screen display a charging battery (the DAP isn't fully charge, had only 2 bars)
- Charging on computer is ok (red led, charging battery screen, ...)

Another question, I think it had been discussed some time ago :
- I have a lag when browsing into the library (using Sandisk 128 SDHX C10, formatted by the DAP)
Is there a way to improve it, or it just depends on the firmware ?

Last question, more informative
- Is there an official place to give feedback to Fiio ?
I whish the previous/next buttons enable to jump from letter to another when browing into music list (First press lead to 1st artist beginnning by A, next press to 1st beginning by B, etc...). And use the wheel to browse line by line. It could really improve the browing ...

Thank you

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #6,866 of 9,972
  Sorry I already asked, but anyone expirenced same than mine when charging on sector with usb adapter : 
- Led is green, the screen display a charging battery (the DAP isn't fully charge, had only 2 bars)
- Charging on computer is ok (red led, charging battery screen, ...)

Another question, I think it had been discussed some time ago :
- I have a lag when browsing into the library (using Sandisk 128 SDHX C10, formatted by the DAP)
Is there a way to improve it, or it just depends on the firmware ?

Last question, more informative
- Is there an official place to give feedback to Fiio ?
I whish the previous/next buttons enable to jump from letter to another when browing into music list (First press lead to 1st artist beginnning by A, next press to 1st beginning by B, etc...). And use the wheel to browse line by line. It could really improve the browing ...

Thank you

1. Try another charger and see if you get the same results.  If you do, then contact FiiO.

2. Lag is going to be there (with the X1, X3II, &X5II any way).  You can try shrinking or removing your album art to speed things up, but I don't think you'll notice that much difference.

3.  FiiO monitors this discussion or you can join the forum on their website.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #6,867 of 9,972

I use my X3ii with Win 10 - works perfectly.  Try changing ports - sounds like it could possibly be a non-Fiio issue if it's working on another 8.1 machine.

I too use my X3II on two different Win 10 systems both upgraded from Win 8.1. I have no problem with either computer recognizing the X3II as a removable storage device.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #6,870 of 9,972
In the X3 gen 1 thread, there was discussion a while back on tagging software. I'm trying to remember which tagger it was that was highly recommended - one of the features is when you right-click a file in Windows, the tagger itself is one of the options that come up. Anyone remember which tagging software this was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back