The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Sep 23, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #5,896 of 9,972
Question for all of you. If I am only planning to listen to 320k mp3s, will the X3 still sounds a lot better than an IPod Touch?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Before I purchased the original X3 a couple years ago I had an iPod touch 5g, an iPod classic and iPod touch 4g before that and I had a fairly substantial collection of music purchased from the iTunes store. So when I first got the X3 I found the sound of my existing collection to be quite a bit better on the X3 than on any of my iPods. Earlier this year I upgraded to the X3 2nd Gen. To me the iPods sound flat and lifeless compared to the X3 2nd gen and that is with the same 256kb/s aac music files I used to play on my iPods. (I do have quite a few albums in flac format now too) I really think the X3 2nd gen is a very worthwhile upgrade over any iPod. I also have own a couple sony walkmen (not the newer hi rez models) and they don't compare well to the X3 either.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #5,897 of 9,972
  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing you gain with the E11/A3 is a passive bass boost (very passive from what I read).  When I was looking for an amp, I went with the NX1 over the E11/A3 because of the battery life of the NX1.  Over a 100 hours is hard to beat.  I thought it was a very neutral sounding and paired extremely well with my X1.  I also read a lot of reviews that said the E11 had a hiss and had an audible pop when powering it on if you had you headphones/IEM on.  Those were definite things I didn't want to deal with.  I had none of that with the NX1.  

NX1 not so powerful for full-sized headphones. It just 100mw @32 Ω load but E12 >880 mW (32 Ω/THD<1%)

ps. sorry for my mistake, mont blanc = E12.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #5,898 of 9,972

NX1 not so powerful for full-sized headphones. It just 100mw @32 Ω load but E12 >880 mW (32 Ω/THD<1%)

ps. sorry for my mistake, mont blanc = E12.

Misread his post
rolleyes.gif
.  Thought he said E11/A3.  Yes, E12 much better amp.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #5,899 of 9,972
  Misread his post
rolleyes.gif
.  Thought he said E11/A3.  Yes, E12 much better amp.

Still, the e11k(or a3) is also a much better amp. It's got 270mW @32 Ω. Also, the e11k is pretty much immune to emi, while i've read some complaints about emi noises with the nx1. But yes, 100 hours of autonomy are definitely a big deal.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #5,900 of 9,972
  Still, the e11k(or a3) is also a much better amp. It's got 270mW @32 Ω. Also, the e11k is pretty much immune to emi, while i've read some complaints about emi noises with the nx1. But yes, 100 hours of autonomy are definitely a big deal.

I think the emi was only when using it with a smart phone.  I never used mine like that.  I have no experience with FiiO amps, but an E12 in on my short list.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #5,901 of 9,972
Before I purchased the original X3 a couple years ago I had an iPod touch 5g, an iPod classic and iPod touch 4g before that and I had a fairly substantial collection of music purchased from the iTunes store. So when I first got the X3 I found the sound of my existing collection to be quite a bit better on the X3 than on any of my iPods. Earlier this year I upgraded to the X3 2nd Gen. To me the iPods sound flat and lifeless compared to the X3 2nd gen and that is with the same 256kb/s aac music files I used to play on my iPods. (I do have quite a few albums in flac format now too) I really think the X3 2nd gen is a very worthwhile upgrade over any iPod. I also have own a couple sony walkmen (not the newer hi rez models) and they don't compare well to the X3 either.

If hiss with IEM's is a concern then go for the E12A.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #5,903 of 9,972
Hello gohanssjn,

You could conceivably connect the X3 2nd's coax out to the E17's coax in. A 3.5mm interconnect with 4 pole connectors on both ends (TRRS) may be needed. USB wouldn't work. But the E17 shouldn't have anything over the X3 2nd in any case :wink:

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #5,905 of 9,972
Hello gohanssjn,

You could conceivably connect the X3 2nd's coax out to the E17's coax in. A 3.5mm interconnect with 4 pole connectors on both ends (TRRS) may be needed. USB wouldn't work. But the E17 shouldn't have anything over the X3 2nd in any case :wink:

Best regards,
Joe

Can the X3ii be used as a stand alone DAC/amp like the e17 for say my computer? Just seeing if I get a X3ii if I could sell the e17 :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #5,906 of 9,972
Can the X3ii be used as a stand alone DAC/amp like the e17 for say my computer? Just seeing if I get a X3ii if I could sell the e17 :)

Yes, it has a DAC mode. Requires installation of drivers for windows though (unlike the E17), it's a bit messy if you run Windows 8 or above (need to approve unsigned drivers somehow). Both are plug and play with Mac.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #5,907 of 9,972
Yes, it has a DAC mode. Requires installation of drivers for windows though (unlike the E17), it's a bit messy if you run Windows 8 or above (need to approve unsigned drivers somehow). Both are plug and play with Mac.

Hmm, that's a bit lame. Loved using the E17 with whatever driver it pulled on its own. Could just get the X3ii and keep the E17 thoigh :wink:. Thanks for the help. Now to just figure out how to sync up my iTunes playlists....

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #5,909 of 9,972

I share Bruce's sentiments as well. Music comes off much livelier on a X3.

However, I miss the UI and convenience of iTunes especially the ability to easily create playlist and browsing through a large music collection. Using the X3 is akin to driving manual - you have to watch over every aspect, Perhaps it is the way I listen to music but I want to be able to create my playlists on the fly. Still trying to figure out a way to do so on my X3.

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #5,910 of 9,972
  I share Bruce's sentiments as well. Music comes off much livelier on a X3.

However, I miss the UI and convenience of iTunes especially the ability to easily create playlist and browsing through a large music collection. Using the X3 is akin to driving manual - you have to watch over every aspect, Perhaps it is the way I listen to music but I want to be able to create my playlists on the fly. Still trying to figure out a way to do so on my X3.

I totally get where you're coming from since I too gravitated from iTunes and the iPod.  However, I truly just want quality audio and the X3ii (now X5ii) delivers that in spades when compared to the iPod.  Yes, we were spoiled by the superior UI of Apple but ultimately it comes down to the music and FiiO delivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back