The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 29, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #3,841 of 9,972
just out curousity how can i connect the fiio x3 to ifi micro dsd , what cable i need 

can someone look at the inputs of ifi micro dsd and tell me what cable do i need and how to connect it 

i want to connect fiio x3 lineout to ifi, so i hear the dac and amp of ifi just for testing purpuses

If you want to hear the DAC on the iDSD you need to output digital coaxial from the X3. If you use line out from the X3 you are still using the X3 DAC and only bypassing the amp to use the iDSD amp, but not the iDSD DAC.

May 29, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #3,842 of 9,972
If you want to hear the DAC on the iDSD you need to output digital coaxial from the X3. If you use line out from the X3 you are still using the X3 DAC and only bypassing the amp to use the iDSD amp, but not the iDSD DAC.

and what cable do i need to connect it to ifi micro dsd, sorry i am not good with cables and connections

May 29, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #3,843 of 9,972

and what cable do i need to connect it to ifi micro dsd, sorry i am not good with cables and connections

You want to use the coaxial adapter that comes with the X3 and a short RCA 75 Ohm coaxial cable plugged in to that to the iDSD. Or for line out use a male 3.5mm to male 3.5mm cable.

May 29, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #3,844 of 9,972

In case the supplied one is too short:
http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Premium-SPDIF-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B00V436UQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432891472&sr=8-1&keywords=micca+coax

Cheers,
K

May 29, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #3,845 of 9,972
Doesn't the pin configuration on the X3 II shared line out/coaxial out require a 4 pole jack, which I beleive is the one that comes with the included adaptor. Otherwise the plug may not connect with the coaxial out.

May 29, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #3,846 of 9,972
Doesn't the pin configuration on the X3 II shared line out/coaxial out require a 4 pole jack, which I beleive is the one that comes with the included adaptor. Otherwise the plug may not connect with the coaxial out.

so how do i connect the fiio coxial to ifi what do i need, what cables, i am so confused how to do that

how many cables do i need to connect the fiio x3 coaxial to the ifi, and where does each cable go to, so i can get the fiio to just work as transport and use the dac and amp of ifi 

its very confusing to me

May 29, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #3,847 of 9,972

so how do i connect the fiio coxial to ifi what do i need, what cables, i am so confused how to do that

how many cables do i need to connect the fiio x3 coaxial to the ifi, and where does each cable go to, so i can get the fiio to just work as transport and use the dac and amp of ifi 

its very confusing to me

Really?

The coaxial adaptor comes with the X3.

Just a normal coaxial cable with RCA ends.

You need to choose coaxial output (digital) in the X3 settings menu. Easy as pie.

May 29, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #3,848 of 9,972
Really?

The coaxial adaptor comes with the X3.

Just a normal coaxial cable with RCA ends.

You need to choose coaxial output (digital) in the X3 settings menu. Easy as pie.

so why does the cable above not work with fiio and ifi, why do i have to use 2 cables, why cant i use the above one

May 29, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #3,849 of 9,972
You can try it but the shared jack on the X3 has specific pins for ground and signal so not all ends will work (line up) properly. Safer to use the adaptor instead of testing different cables or having a custom one made. That's all.

Notice the three black rings on the FiiO cable adaptor and only two in the cable pic you posted. Something tells me it might not work.

May 29, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #3,850 of 9,972
You can try it but the shared jack on the X3 has specific pins for ground and signal so not all ends will work (line up) properly. Safer to use the adaptor instead of testing different cables or having a custom one made. That's all.

Notice the three black rings on the FiiO cable adaptor and only two in the cable pic you posted. Something tells me it might not work.

The posted cable is the mica cable (official Fiio distributor in the US) and it works fine with X3, X3ii and X5, I tested them all, I have this cable myself.

so why does the cable above not work with fiio and ifi, why do i have to use 2 cables, why cant i use the above one

It does work - see the amazon link.

You have options. @x RELIC x suggestion works equally as good.

Cheers,
K

May 29, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #3,851 of 9,972
Well colour me informed. :wink: I did not know it was tested. Good to know.

May 29, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,853 of 9,972
How well does the USB otg work?  I've read through the thread and see where it's picky depending on the card reader/flash drive.  Also, how does the usb device appear on the X3II?  I mean does it just show up as another folder or category?  I want a new DAP and i'm on the fence about the X3II or waiting for the X5II?  I need more storage and usb otg is cheaper than paying for a new X5 or X5II.  I'm even looking at an ibasso dx50 just for the usb otg feature.  Your thoughts?

Thanks

May 29, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #3,854 of 9,972

Quote:

The posted cable is the mica cable (official Fiio distributor in the US) and it works fine with X3, X3ii and X5, I tested them all, I have this cable myself.

It does work - see the amazon link.

You have options. @x RELIC x suggestion works equally as good.

Cheers,
K

Interesting.  Mine did not work. When the plug is inserted completely into the player there is no sound from the coaxial connection.  If you pull the cable slightly out it does play... until the cable falls out of the jack.  I'm sending mine back.  (To be clear I ordered the Micca Premium SPDIF Digital Coaxial Audio Cable - 3.5mm (1/8") to RCA, 3ft, Compatible with FiiO X3, X3II, X5 cable from Amazon.)

I'm curious why the cable I received behaved differently than yours.  I did notice that the Fiio adapter included with the player has 4 pins on the 3.5mm plug.  The Micca cable has 3 pins.

May 29, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #3,855 of 9,972
  just out curousity how can i connect the fiio x3 to ifi micro dsd , what cable i need 

can someone look at the inputs of ifi micro dsd and tell me what cable do i need and how to connect it 

i want to connect fiio x3 lineout to ifi, so i hear the dac and amp of ifi just for testing purpuses

For the micro iDsd you need the coax, as it was explained in details just above my comment. Cause you want to use it as a DAC as well...

With my micro iCan I use a 3.5 jack-RCA cable. These iFi Micro products deserve some attention. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back