The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 28, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #3,826 of 9,972

I am not the expert on this, but as far as I can tell the phone does not charge the X3 Gen 2 in this configuration.  The few times I tried using the usb mini hub with the CCK and the X3, what seemed to drain was the X3 not the phone.  But I would not bet money on this, just an observation from using this on plane. I also used the X3 Gen 2 as an output device for my windows laptop. That unit has an anemic sound scheme and really benefits from the usb dac capability.  Getting the drivers to work reliably is no small consideration.  Usually it takes a few minutes of reinstalling drives and mucking with various utilities to get things working.

If it does not drain the phone battery then that would probably be one of the best options for me, I want something for Tidal and my Loseless rips.  Currently I'm using a E10K with a $3 monoprice cube hub.  It drains the iPhone battery in 2.5 hours when using the amp.  It complete powers the E10K dac and amp.  

Tonight I just tried the camera kit with a small USB battery charger.  I plugged the iPhone into the power input on the external USB portable battery power device and the battery pack charging indicator light comes on as if its being charged by the iPhone.  So based on this I think the camera kit with the hub drains the iPhone power into any device that is plugged into the Hub ports.

May 28, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #3,827 of 9,972

If it does not drain the phone battery then that would probably be one of the best options for me, I want something for Tidal and my Loseless rips.  Currently I'm using a E10K with a $3 monoprice cube hub.  It drains the iPhone battery in 2.5 hours when using the amp.  It complete powers the E10K dac and amp.  

Tonight I just tried the camera kit with a small USB battery charger.  I plugged the iPhone into the power input on the external USB portable battery power device and the battery pack charging indicator light comes on as if its being charged by the iPhone.  So based on this I think the camera kit with the hub drains the iPhone power into any device that is plugged into the Hub ports.

It sounds like you are experimenting with a different usb hub.  My comments relate to a specific hub that is known to solve the DAC issue.  My comments do not extend to all hubs.  Even then I could be wrong; I just did not have any problems the one time I ran an extended test.

May 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #3,829 of 9,972
  Hello I saw in your signature you utilize the Fiio X3 II and SE535s. I was wondering how do you enjoy that combination? I'm thinking about picking up a X3 II for my SE535s. I'm mainly going to use the player for 24bit FLAC files.

I enjoy the X3 II very much – it offers an astonishingly high sound quality for the price, sounds smooth, detailed and dynamic. Most of the time I use the SE846 with it, but with some (low) bass and treble increase (roughly spoken) on the X3 II's excellent equalizer the SE535 can be brought to an almost comparable level and characteristic. A highly recommendable combination.

BTW, since you're mentioning 24 bit Flac files: With sampling rates higher than 48 kHz the equalizer is disabled (unfortunately). In this case it could even be favorable to downsample them to EQ-compatible rates.

May 28, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #3,830 of 9,972
  Does anyone get a buzzing sound when their device goes into idle poweroff mode with their song paused?
Replugging the headphone fixes the problem.

Currently using it with a ATH-M50

No buzzing with mine.

May 28, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3,831 of 9,972

I enjoy the X3 II very much – it offers an astonishingly high sound quality for the price, sounds smooth, detailed and dynamic. Most of the time I use the SE846 with it, but with some (low) bass and treble increase (roughly spoken) on the X3 II's excellent equalizer the SE535 can be brought to an almost comparable level and characteristic. A highly recommendable combination.

BTW, since you're mentioning 24 bit Flac files: With sampling rates higher than 48 kHz the equalizer is disabled (unfortunately). In this case it could even be favorable to downsample them to EQ-compatible rates.

Awesome, thanks for the information. Thats kind of odd you can't equalize higher sampling rates. I wonder if this will be the case in the x5 II as well?

May 28, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #3,832 of 9,972
  Does anyone get a buzzing sound when their device goes into idle poweroff mode with their song paused?
Replugging the headphone fixes the problem.

Currently using it with a ATH-M50

I get this as well although it is a hissing noise rather than a buzz. Seems to happen after a long period of time with a track paused and the player in idle mode with headphones/IEMs plugged in. 

May 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3,833 of 9,972
  Awesome, thanks for the information. Thats kind of odd you can't equalize higher sampling rates. I wonder if this will be the case in the x5 II as well?

I'm almost certain that it will. Seems like a limitation with processor capacity (at least in X3 II and X5).

May 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,834 of 9,972

I'm almost certain that it will. Seems like a limitation with processor capacity (at least in X3 II and X5).

Post the question in the X5ii thread. I'm sure someone can answer it pretty quickly. If not, I can test later today.

May 28, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3,835 of 9,972
Does the X3II support replaygain? I have been searching, but haven't found an answer.

May 28, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #3,837 of 9,972
May 28, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #3,839 of 9,972

Are there any updates regarding it? I know it is something Fiio was looking into in the past.

I have not heard anyone from the FiiO camp mention that this would be in a future release.  I would like it, but I would not count on it being implemented.  

Does the Fiio X3II recognize replaygain tags? or do i have to use some software to level the volume of my tracks? 

not yet. it is in our plan but there are couple features still waiting to be updated to our X3/X3 II/X1/X5. 

May 29, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #3,840 of 9,972
just out curousity how can i connect the fiio x3 to ifi micro dsd , what cable i need 

can someone look at the inputs of ifi micro dsd and tell me what cable do i need and how to connect it 

i want to connect fiio x3 lineout to ifi, so i hear the dac and amp of ifi just for testing purpuses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back