The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #107 of 9,972
The CS4398 isn't particularly expensive, being used in Creative's SBZ, which can be found on ebay for $50.  I don't care that it's being used in the X3 II as it's not a particularly expensive DAP (relatively speaking, of course).  What I don't get is why it's used in the AK100II/AK120II/AK240.  There are better DACs that can be used, indicated how how Creative uses the PCM1798 DAC for its flagship SBZXR instead of the CS4398 on the much cheaper SBZ.

I do like the design the X3 II uses.  Looks a bit like a rejected X1 design(?).  Looks close enough to the X1 design that I probably won't be able to tell the two apart if I don't have them both to compare.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #108 of 9,972
The CS4398 isn't particularly expensive, being used in Creative's SBZ, which can be found on ebay for $50.  I don't care that it's being used in the X3 II as it's not a particularly expensive DAP (relatively speaking, of course).  What I don't get is why it's used in the AK100II/AK120II/AK240.  There are better DACs that can be used, indicated how how Creative uses the PCM1798 DAC for its flagship SBZXR instead of the CS4398 on the much cheaper SBZ.

I do like the design the X3 II uses.  Looks a bit like a rejected X1 design(?).  Looks close enough to the X1 design that I probably won't be able to tell the two apart if I don't have them both to compare.

I don't know if there are so many better dacs, especially if you want to offer native DSD. The burr brown TI 1798 is as well around 10 years old now.

Wolfson 8741
CS4398
PCM1798
ESS9018

And then... I can't think of anything else. All these DAC chips are a few years old, some are a decade old already and do native DSD if I remember correctly.

And honestly, since they are all available in budget devices as well, the price of the DAC makes no big difference in the price of the DAP.....

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #109 of 9,972
To summarize from a couple pages ago (and some posts in other threads by James) as people are still asking about price and size, etc.

1. It's called X3 II, not X3K.
2. X3 II is the same size and UI as the X1 just a bit thicker.
3. Dual crystal oscillators for less jitter.
4. Deep sleep mode for instant on usage without battery drain.
5. 10 band EQ.
6. In-line remote support.
7. Custom playlists.
8. Uses Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip.
9. Native DSD support.
10. It will have a shared line-out and coaxial output jack.
11. About as powerful amp section as the current X3.
12. Full metal case with scroll wheel.
13. Cost is $200 US
14. Mass production will be done in April and then launched to the global market.

:)

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #111 of 9,972
  Here is a bit on the new X3. Very nice looking DAP!

1. Native DSD Playback Support
  2. In-Line Remote Support
  3. 10 Band EQ
  4. Custom Playlists
  5. All New Exterior Design w/Full Metal Body
  6. Classic Scroll Wheel Control
  7. Dual Crystal Oscillators for Less Jitter
  8. Deep Sleep Mode for Instant-On Usage without Battery Drain

http://blog.sonicelectronix.com/home-and-portable-electronics/fiio-releases-ces-2015/#prettyPhoto

Does it have bass & treble hardware adjustments ?

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #112 of 9,972

It has an EQ which should be good enough for tailoring bass and treble to your liking.  I'm guessing that it doesn't have a treble/bass gain switch due to the fact that the X5 and the X1 don't either.  If you want that, you'll have to get one of Fiio's mobile amps/DACs.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #113 of 9,972

That's the one of the things that made the X3 great in my opinion and was much better than software EQ, hands down. Given that it no longer has the internals of the older e17 I don't think it will.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #114 of 9,972
  It has an EQ which should be good enough for tailoring bass and treble to your liking.  I'm guessing that it doesn't have a treble/bass gain switch due to the fact that the X5 and the X1 don't either.  If you want that, you'll have to get one of Fiio's mobile amps/DACs.

okay ... it still so tempting by its :price -size, look and build quality - inline remote support - the new dac and reduced jitter and finally the 10 band eq BUT ONLY IF IMPLEMENTED WELL because the 5 band eq in my X3 almost useless for now .... 
so while i may consider getting one .. but i will never let my original X3 go away and keeping it for its wolfson dac and its warm lovely sig. and the bass& treble controls which cant be found in a player these days it still a unique one 

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #116 of 9,972
  okay ... it still so tempting by its :price -size, look and build quality - inline remote support - the new dac and reduced jitter and finally the 10 band eq BUT ONLY IF IMPLEMENTED WELL because the 5 band eq in my X3 almost useless for now .... 
so while i may consider getting one .. but i will never let my original X3 go away and keeping it for its wolfson dac and its warm lovely sig. and the bass& treble controls which cant be found in a player these days it still a unique one 

I won't be giving up my X3 either but I will purchase the new one as soon as they are available.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #117 of 9,972

+1000

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #118 of 9,972

No way I'm getting rid of my X3 for an updated model with that friggin mickey mouse dodgy bloody scroll wheel. Not getting rid of my X5 either as it's SQ is awesome with my current IEM. But Jesus Christ, f%$king around with that wheel and watching it misbehave the way it does frustrates the crap out me and makes me want to rage quit and throw it. Watching it go the opposite direction of rotation sometimes is just awesome.
mad.gif

Had the new X3 not had the wheel, I would have been in like flynn.

If it has been implemented to work as it "should" on the new X3 then I will quite happily eat my words and fork out the dollars for it.

And just to clarify "should" will mean no more jumping forward 3 selections, moving in the opposite direction and sometimes no movement in the menu at all.

Just saying.

Edit: Yes you can use buttons to bypass the wheel controls but you still have to press the centre button on the wheel to select, and when doing this, it sometimes decides to go back or forward and totally screw you up. It's just not good enough. Was not going to bring this topic up again but hell, it is an issue and I sincerely hope they sort it out on the new X however with manufacturing costs the way they are I think it's going to be the same mechanism used on previous players. That to me is a deal breaker. I'm hope I'm wrong.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #119 of 9,972
No way I'm getting rid of my X3 for an updated model with that friggin mickey mouse dodgy bloody scroll wheel. Not getting rid of my X5 either as it's SQ is awesome with my current IEM. But Jesus Christ, f%$king around with that wheel and watching it misbehave the way it does frustrates the crap out me and makes me want to rage quit and throw it. Watching it go the opposite direction of rotation sometimes is just awesome.:mad:

Had the new X3 not had the wheel, I would have been in like flynn.

If it has been implemented to work as it "should" on the new X3 then I will quite happily eat my words and fork out the dollars for it.

And just to clarify "should" will mean no more jumping forward 3 selections, moving in the opposite direction and sometimes no movement in the menu at all.

Just saying.

Edit: Yes you can use buttons to bypass the wheel controls but you still have to press the centre button on the wheel to select, and when doing this, it sometimes decides to go back or forward and totally screw you up. It's just not good enough. Was not going to bring this topic up again but hell, it is an issue and I sincerely hope they sort it out on the new X however with manufacturing costs the way they are I think it's going to be the same mechanism used on previous players. That to me is a deal breaker. I'm hope I'm wrong.

Don't know about the wheel ..never tried one before but i hope that they fixed these issues in the new productions

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #120 of 9,972
Don't know about the wheel ..never tried one before but i hope that they fixed these issues in the new productions

From what I've read on a Russian website it will have the same scroll wheel as the X1 which I don't find to be bad at all. Almost everything about the new X3 from the Russian website has been accurate so I would assume that the new X3 having the same scroll wheel as the X1 would be accurate too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back