The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 8, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #91 of 9,972
  TI PCM5102AQuote:
  I considered getting the X3 for a while now. I finally decided to go for the Xuelin 770 based on the comparison made by people who have tried both. Anyway, why did Fiio decide to go with the CS4398? Isn't the CS4398 a lower chip than the WM8740? Someone mentioned that the CS4398 is also used in the AK 100ii. I googled and found out that the iPod touch Gen 2 and 3 used the same chip. Makes it harder to tell whether the CS4398 is a good chip or not. I do get that the CS chip consumes less power but performance wise, seems like a downgrade?

Isn't it funny that these chips are both really really OLD? If memory serves me right they are both used inn products since 2008 - so in electronic terms, grandpa's...

So my question is: Are they that good that there is just nothing much to improve? I want to believe that. 

What are the best DAC chips currently?

WM8740
CS4398
ESS9018
TI PCM5102A (added during edit)

Can someone pitch in?

I mean we seem to be rotating in the high end players between these and their variants for quite some time...and from my experience it's the implementation that matters most. I mean the 8740 is in so many things I used. From the Fiio E7 which is a $60 DAC/Amp to the AK100 Mk2 which is a $700 DAP - it seems the price for the DAC chip are really not making any difference....

Who can help with some insider or just more substantial knowledge about these chips?

Cheers,
K

you got it right, the price doesn't mean anything, in fact the choice of the DAC chip doesn't mean much either. the idea than one chip is better than another or that they have some "house sound" is half urban legend, and half implementation choices/mistakes. the chips can all ideally do better than any DAC they're put into. some need more energy, some have better shielding, some are cheaper, some are more sensitive to this and that, they probably all have some secret salsa for noise shaping and stuff, but none of those things really matter comparatively to the choices of implementation or the quality of the amp output.
 a few years ago a guy was a loser if his dac didn't have a wolfson chip, then came ESS and that chip alone was like saying that brad pitt played naked with angelina in a movie, they started putting sabre chips in everything for no other reason than marketing "it has a sabre dac go get one!!!". and all this time every so called audiophile had been crapping all over cirrus. but now that some stuff like A&K use them, "what? expensive gears with cirrus? man that chip must be da bomb".
we're not about reality we're just fashion victims. as George Carlin said "it's all BS and it's bad for you".
wink_face.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #92 of 9,972
I like my Wolfson because the name sounds cooler.
Well, probably also only to convince myself not to buy the new X3.......
I like the design, and if better UI comes with it, then it's just wow. But I might give my X3 another chance to wait until the FW is completely stable and pleasing to use.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #93 of 9,972
  I like my Wolfson because the name sounds cooler.
Well, probably also only to convince myself not to buy the new X3.......
I like the design, and if better UI comes with it, then it's just wow. But I might give my X3 another chance to wait until the FW is completely stable and pleasing to use.

I'll be getting the new X3 as soon as they are available but I'll keep my old X3 too. I don't need to but I want to...you know how it is. Did you see somewhere what the price might be? probably in the $200 range. I noticed on MP4 nation that the X3 is now listed as out of stock.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #94 of 9,972
I agree. Clearly with the differences in the pricing of DAPs using the same chip, there is no way that the chip is everything. So despite my earlier comments about the CS chips, I am still here interested cause I did some digging and turns out that this CS4398 is a serious chip. There is only one thing left to do. Wait. But the new X3 II will cost quite a bit more than the Xuelin 770 so I think I might pass on the X3 II unless it wipes the floor with the old one.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #95 of 9,972
hipsters had cirrus before it was cool ^_^.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #97 of 9,972
I saw a lot of people saying cs4398 is a bad choice. But I think they're greatly mistaken. I recently switched from x3 to Hidizs Ap100 with cs4398. It sounds amazingly clear, great clarity and instrument seperation. It's also a bit bright, not dark like someone said in this thread. So, I think cs4398 isn't a bad choice. It all depends on how good the implementation.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #98 of 9,972
I saw a lot of people saying cs4398 is a bad choice. But I think they're greatly mistaken. I recently switches from x3 to Hidizs Ap100 with cs4398. It sounds amazingly clear, great clarity and instrument seperation. It's also a bit bright, not dark like someone said in this thread. So, I think cs4398 isn't a bad choice. It all depends on how good the implementation.

If it was a bad choice why does the AK120-Mkii has it?
http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak120/ak120_2_spec.asp

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #99 of 9,972
I saw a lot of people saying cs4398 is a bad choice. But I think they're greatly mistaken. I recently switches from x3 to Hidizs Ap100 with cs4398. It sounds amazingly clear, great clarity and instrument seperation. It's also a bit bright, not dark like someone said in this thread. So, I think cs4398 isn't a bad choice. It all depends on how good the implementation.

Pretty sure Colorfly CK4 uses the same DAC (I'm not talking about C4) it sounded similar how you describe, high clarity good separation. So I'm happy to see X3K use this DAC. I will probably get one, good features.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #100 of 9,972
  I'll be getting the new X3 as soon as they are available but I'll keep my old X3 too. I don't need to but I want to...you know how it is. Did you see somewhere what the price might be? probably in the $200 range. I noticed on MP4 nation that the X3 is now listed as out of stock.

Welp, if only I have more money to throw away around. I also don't need it but want it.
But priority comes first. Rather than buying new DAP that makes little difference, I've planned to buy open HPs.
At least for now. Still would love to see the new X3, primarily the UI

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #103 of 9,972
Jan 8, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #105 of 9,972
Here is a bit on the new X3. Very nice looking DAP!

1. Native DSD Playback Support
  2. In-Line Remote Support
  3. 10 Band EQ
  4. Custom Playlists
  5. All New Exterior Design w/Full Metal Body
  6. Classic Scroll Wheel Control
  7. Dual Crystal Oscillators for Less Jitter
  8. Deep Sleep Mode for Instant-On Usage without Battery Drain

http://blog.sonicelectronix.com/home-and-portable-electronics/fiio-releases-ces-2015/#prettyPhoto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back