The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,736 of 9,972
First time poster. Loving my new X3ii. But I'm getting on a bit and my eyesight is pretty crappy. I'm really struggling to see the information text when you hit the upper left button as a track is playing. I've tried all the different themes but only the awful 'denim' one seems to dim down the artwork enough to provide enough contrast for the text. Is there a way to display no artwork other than by completely removing it or, alternatively, a way to dim artwork down much more? Ideally, I'd love a simple high-contrast black and white theme with a massive dimming of the album artwork when info is displayed. Would that have to be a custom theme?

Thanks for any help!

Only way for no artwork is to remove the artwork as you suggested.

Artwork can't be dimmed. A custom firmware may be able to accommodate this but I have yet to see any custom firmware versions for this model.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #6,737 of 9,972
  First time poster. Loving my new X3ii. But I'm getting on a bit and my eyesight is pretty crappy. I'm really struggling to see the information text when you hit the upper left button as a track is playing. I've tried all the different themes but only the awful 'denim' one seems to dim down the artwork enough to provide enough contrast for the text. Is there a way to display no artwork other than by completely removing it or, alternatively, a way to dim artwork down much more? Ideally, I'd love a simple high-contrast black and white theme with a massive dimming of the album artwork when info is displayed. Would that have to be a custom theme?

Thanks for any help!

you could use a photo editor to bring cover photos' exposure and brightness down but it is tiresome if you have a huge collection of audio files.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #6,738 of 9,972
I've been messign around with my audio files, tagging and retagging with mp3tag (such a great tool, btw), and I found a tool for mp3tag that will let you resize the cover art without having to use any image editor (that is to say, it saves you lots of time). If anyone is interested, you can check here. In general, it has worked well, except that I couldn't make it to show the cover size in the personalized columns.

Speaking of tags, X3ii works with ID3v2.3, right?

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #6,739 of 9,972
I remember someone saying that the device starts to respond slowly and starts lagging with the 200gb card fully loaded. Click on the 'Search this thread' button on top this page and search for '200gb'. This would return all the posts relating to the 200gb card.

All of the Fiio players tend to lag a bit with a card of any size that is "fully loaded". Seems like its a good idea to leave at least one free gig on the card and not max it out completely.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #6,742 of 9,972
  I have the Sandisk 200GB microSD card in my X3II. No problem whatsoever. 

Same here though mine is only about half full. There's a tiny lag when accessing the card and playlists created on the root folder but I haven't seen a difference in the lag after increasing the card capacity.

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #6,743 of 9,972
What do you guys think about this OTG solution for X3 II?
This adaptor
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361442460745?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=630805598305&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

plus SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFI1EBC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

About $33 per 128GB. You can get 3 X 128GB for the price of one 200GB SD. Plus you can use it with your Android phone, too.

I ordered both, will let you know how it goes. It should work fine and hope it won't be too bulky. Thinking to add a bit of Velcro to secure the adapter to the X3.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #6,744 of 9,972
Only way for no artwork is to remove the artwork as you suggested.

Artwork can't be dimmed. A custom firmware may be able to accommodate this but I have yet to see any custom firmware versions for this model.

you could use a photo editor to bring cover photos' exposure and brightness down but it is tiresome if you have a huge collection of audio files.

Thank you ngs428 and RamblerBoy. I decided to have quick look at making a custom version of FW1.4 with some minor revisions to the default Theme 3 and, in the end, it was quite straightforward to fix the problem. It turns out that the 'dimming' of the album art is controlled by overlaying a transparent black gradient image over the artwork. I just changed that image to a full, non-transparent one. Now when you hold down the upper left button in 'now playing' the album art vanishes completely just leaving the text. I also adjusted the text colour from light grey to pure white.  Works great and makes the whole shebang much easier to read. Still, would be nice to have a configuration option simply to toggle artwork on and off....:)

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #6,746 of 9,972
Thank you ngs428 and RamblerBoy. I decided to have quick look at making a custom version of FW1.4 with some minor revisions to the default Theme 3 and, in the end, it was quite straightforward to fix the problem. It turns out that the 'dimming' of the album art is controlled by overlaying a transparent black gradient image over the artwork. I just changed that image to a full, non-transparent one. Now when you hold down the upper left button in 'now playing' the album art vanishes completely just leaving the text. I also adjusted the text colour from light grey to pure white.  Works great and makes the whole shebang much easier to read. Still, would be nice to have a configuration option simply to toggle artwork on and off....:)

Glad you were able to figure this issue out. Sounds like we have our first custom firmware for the X3ii. Congrats!

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #6,747 of 9,972
  What do you guys think about this OTG solution for X3 II?
This adaptor
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361442460745?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=630805598305&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

plus SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFI1EBC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

About $33 per 128GB. You can get 3 X 128GB for the price of one 200GB SD. Plus you can use it with your Android phone, too.

I ordered both, will let you know how it goes. It should work fine and hope it won't be too bulky. Thinking to add a bit of Velcro to secure the adapter to the X3.

I'll be awaiting your report regarding that OTG adapter.  I tried something similar and it didn't work.  Your flash drive will work fine, but to avoid any potential issues, be sure to format it fat32.  

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #6,749 of 9,972
If you were to go for such a kind of hack, I'd rather get a microSD to SD adapter and buy a cheap big SD card. Using OTG limits you to file browsing on the X3 and has play issues on some fw versions. Not to mention OTG support itself is hit and miss with different storage devices. And pasting a flexible flat cable to the large SD at the back of the X3 (or X7, for that matter) is much tidier than an OTG adapter cable prone to have its connectors bent out of shape by your pocket etc. :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 1, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #6,750 of 9,972
Cables at the back of the X3 is not an option when stacking with the Mojo. Plus the cost of a large capacity SD card is much higher than flash drives' and by a fair margin. I'll be keeping my favourites on the microSD card of course but it would be nice to plug in additional files when on the go. I could use the small flash drive in my car, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back