The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #6,751 of 9,972
Talking about hype... X3 II and the Mojo. Absolutely sensational sound quality with any headphone you throw at it.
No better than a mobile phone plus Mojo I guess, but it is a smaller stack (X3 and Mojo about the same size) and it is good to preserve your phone's battery when on the go. Forget about any fancy DAPs or expensive phones if you are after the best SQ on the go and get the X3 II and the Mojo.

How can we connect the x3ii to the mojo? What type of cable we need.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #6,752 of 9,972
Take the default cable to an electronics shop and say you want an adapter to connect the RCA female end to a mono 3.5mm jack. It'll be less than $10

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #6,756 of 9,972
If you were to go for such a kind of hack, I'd rather get a microSD to SD adapter and buy a cheap big SD card. Using OTG limits you to file browsing on the X3 and has play issues on some fw versions. Not to mention OTG support itself is hit and miss with different storage devices. And pasting a flexible flat cable to the large SD at the back of the X3 (or X7, for that matter) is much tidier than an OTG adapter cable prone to have its connectors bent out of shape by your pocket etc.
redface.gif

Joe, I wish I could get that to work.  I purchased a ribbon cable microSD to SD adapter; but was unable to get that to work.  Have you found any brands of those that do work as you described?

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #6,757 of 9,972
Joe, I wish I could get that to work.  I purchased a ribbon cable microSD to SD adapter; but was unable to get that to work.  Have you found any brands of those that do work as you described?

I'm curious about this as well. Seems like someone tried this a while back, but I don't recall the outcome. I'm like you and I'm content using a OTG cable and flash drive. I've had no issues with PNY or Sandisk 128 & 256 gig flash drives.

ETA: Flash drives are cheaper than the SD cards of the same capacity.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #6,758 of 9,972
  I am testing a mojo with the X3 gen II.  What I did, as a quick workaround; was take the X3 Gen 2 coax adapter; and connected it to a gen 1 coax adapter  In betweeen I used a short video rca able.  Works just fine.  The X3 gen 1 adapter went into the Mojo.

how do you compare the sq from mojo to that of fiio x3ii's headphone out? 

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #6,761 of 9,972
This is for RamblerBoy:

The mojo is a very fine piece of equipment, no doubt.  I have fed it from both a first generation X3 and a the second generation.  Once I located proper cabling, both of those configurations were quite stable.

It would be interesting to match up a Mojo vs. the X7.  But then again I think FIIO units starting at the X3 have a lot going for them also.

One observation I have is that once a certain level of audio quality is achieved, gains above that become subtle.  That applies both to IEMs and portable audio units.

Where differences become most pronounced is how the units handle challenging equipment; such as inefficient headphones.  The mojo has a seriously strong edge there.

In terms of sound quality, the mojo has what I would describe as a very liquid, analog sound.  I think that a vinyl lover listening to the Mojo would have a true quandry.  I also find the X3 units very satisfying and was impressed with the sound of the X7 (though the early firmware glitches were a challenge).

Eventually the mojo will move on for the tour and I will go back to the X3 II and will probably be happy with that result within about 30 minutes.

The unit that intrigues me is the Oppo HA2; which will be great with iphones and computers but NOT the X3 (no coax input).   By contrast, the mojo loves signals from the X3 and X3 II but has issues with the iphone and some glitches with Windows 10.  But I am most likely to monkey with the DAC capabilities with both X3 units before looking at the Oppo.

I will eventually review the Mojo.  The short answer is that I think it is great when paired with a digital device like the X3 and borderline great with iphones.  The iphone experience was a bit too hit or miss for my taste to receive a bonfide "great" vote.  Then again, once the firmware stabilizes with the X7 I bet it will be considered a great unit also.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #6,762 of 9,972
It is 2016 and iPhones are so 2014... Why is it that Mojo worked flawlessly with the half dozen on Android phones I plugged it in my $6 cable? One of those with expansion micro sd slot makes way more sense.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #6,763 of 9,972
  This is for RamblerBoy:

The mojo is a very fine piece of equipment, no doubt.  I have fed it from both a first generation X3 and a the second generation.  Once I located proper cabling, both of those configurations were quite stable.

It would be interesting to match up a Mojo vs. the X7.  But then again I think FIIO units starting at the X3 have a lot going for them also.

One observation I have is that once a certain level of audio quality is achieved, gains above that become subtle.  That applies both to IEMs and portable audio units.

Where differences become most pronounced is how the units handle challenging equipment; such as inefficient headphones.  The mojo has a seriously strong edge there.

In terms of sound quality, the mojo has what I would describe as a very liquid, analog sound.  I think that a vinyl lover listening to the Mojo would have a true quandry.  I also find the X3 units very satisfying and was impressed with the sound of the X7 (though the early firmware glitches were a challenge).

Eventually the mojo will move on for the tour and I will go back to the X3 II and will probably be happy with that result within about 30 minutes.

The unit that intrigues me is the Oppo HA2; which will be great with iphones and computers but NOT the X3 (no coax input).   By contrast, the mojo loves signals from the X3 and X3 II but has issues with the iphone and some glitches with Windows 10.  But I am most likely to monkey with the DAC capabilities with both X3 units before looking at the Oppo.

I will eventually review the Mojo.  The short answer is that I think it is great when paired with a digital device like the X3 and borderline great with iphones.  The iphone experience was a bit too hit or miss for my taste to receive a bonfide "great" vote.  Then again, once the firmware stabilizes with the X7 I bet it will be considered a great unit also.

Thank you for taking time to explain it. really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back